Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Another brutal review from ZL (mind you, DGB was not on his lonesome when it came to brutal reviews):

“So Denver, like all our defenders, we just didn't get our job done. We were beaten by the Southport forwards, their work rate and their energy to provide options in offense and be dangerous, beat us, and that was the same with Denver's opponent. Denver's had the nine disposals at 56% we did swing him forward late in the game, he was able to hit the scoreboard and provide some good energy. But ideally, we would like not to have to do that and leave Denver to play his role there. But we thought Denver could kick as a goal and help us win the game, but unfortunately, didn't quite happen.”
I wonder if we really need these reviews from the coaches? The games and highlights are all available for anyone to watch, as are the match reports and stats.

If it was the AFL we wouldn't want Mitchell reviewing each player like that, good or bad. Of course behind closed doors and I know they are often carefully chosen words but Box hill is where our developing or struggling players are. If don't need the added pressure of their coach criticising them online.

I wonder if we really need these reviews from the coaches? The games and highlights are all available for anyone to watch, as are the match reports and stats.

If it was the AFL we wouldn't want Mitchell reviewing each player like that, good or bad. Of course behind closed doors and I know they are often carefully chosen words but Box hill is where our developing or struggling players are. If don't need the added pressure of their coach criticising them online.
It's a fair point you raise, if an AFL coach posted reviews like that there would be a pretty big backlash.

It's one thing for numpties like us on BIgFooty to criticise a player, it's another thing altogether for your coach to do the same thing on the clubs website.

The transparency is good for supporters because it gives us a pretty clear picture of how players are performing. We don't always know what the coaches want or expect and that means that the stats sheet or even watching the game can be misleading. However, it must be tough for the players. How many of us would appreciate it if the boss posted a public report on our performance each week?

I think you are right to question the practice. Seems to me that sometimes we are overprotective of players by not publishing weight for example but this may be an example of being underprotective.

Better than the Andy Otten, everyone did well reviews. Although I do agree that sometimes these ones have been probably a bit too outwardly critical.

ZL would have been long banned had he posted those thoughts here!

I can just imagine the reviews my old East Gippy reserves coach would have posted if he'd had the chance!

"Simon once again turned up 10 minutes before the match started and once again forgot it was an away game and was wearing the incorrect coloured shorts (a bad start).

After declining to do the pre game run throughs on the basis of "saving his legs" he then proceeded to play 15m of his man for the remainder of the game (despite playing on the best CHF in the league) in order to pad his own stats and fly for the most unrealistic speccies with the stated aim of making "almost footy legends".

He then snuck into the club change rooms 5 minutes before the game finished to use all the hot water in the showers and eat all of the lolly snakes.

I have publicly stated he is in danger of losing his spot but unfortunately his younger brother is the ressies reigning best and fairest and needs Simon to give him a lift to the ground so we are stuck with him until his brother buys a car."

I can just imagine the reviews my old East Gippy reserves coach would have posted if he'd had the chance!

"Simon once again turned up 10 minutes before the match started and once again forgot it was an away game and was wearing the incorrect coloured shorts (a bad start).

After declining to do the pre game run throughs on the basis of "saving his legs" he then proceeded to play 15m of his man for the remainder of the game (despite playing on the best CHF in the league) in order to pad his own stats and fly for the most unrealistic speccies with the stated aim of making "almost footy legends".

He then snuck into the club change rooms 5 minutes before the game finished to use all the hot water in the showers and eat all of the lolly snakes.

I have publicly stated he is in danger of losing his spot but unfortunately his younger brother is the ressies reigning best and fairest and needs Simon to give him a lift to the ground so we are stuck with him until his brother buys a car."

Did he buy a car? 😆

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they can’t handle a public game review they’re not going to handle playing at the g on grand final day. Performance game means you need to perform criticism and all or when the heat is actually on the cracks will appear

Was solid yesterday, and saved the game a couple of weeks back. Spoilt everything yesterday. Don’t get some people’s fascination with stats. Serong had a a lot of kick’s yesterday,but half nearly come from taking kick ins. He runs from the 50 meter line to take it.

Was solid yesterday, and saved the game a couple of weeks back. Spoilt everything yesterday. Don’t get some people’s fascination with stats. Serong had a a lot of kick’s yesterday,but half nearly come from taking kick ins. He runs from the 50 meter line to take it.
The stats back up what can be clearly seen, Denver is very rarely part of any chain of play, he is either unable or unwilling to get into any sort of position to do anything other than spoil or mark. He could possibly make it as a full back if he were absolutely elite at spoiling and marking, but if you play anywhere else you need to be part of the chain moving the ball towards our goals.

The stats back up what can be clearly seen, Denver is very rarely part of any chain of play, he is either unable or unwilling to get into any sort of position to do anything other than spoil or mark. He could possibly make it as a full back if he were absolutely elite at spoiling and marking, but if you play anywhere else you need to be part of the chain moving the ball towards our goals.
Unable, unwilling, or playing a different role. He is a good kick. It may be a fitness thing, or maybe he’s being asked to focus just on the defensive stuff for a bit

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Back