Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Was solid yesterday, and saved the game a couple of weeks back. Spoilt everything yesterday. Don’t get some people’s fascination with stats. Serong had a a lot of kick’s yesterday,but half nearly come from taking kick ins. He runs from the 50 meter line to take it.

Not sure why you're taking a crap on one of our other players to prop up Denver.

I'd like to remind you that he is a Hawthorn listed player and is busting his gut trying to get better. Shit comment.
I was replying to a comment that he might make ot as a full back. He won't. He hasn't made ot this far and time is running out, lucky to get a gig next year. But you keep being a simp for him if it helps you cope

The stats back up what can be clearly seen, Denver is very rarely part of any chain of play, he is either unable or unwilling to get into any sort of position to do anything other than spoil or mark. He could possibly make it as a full back if he were absolutely elite at spoiling and marking, but if you play anywhere else you need to be part of the chain moving the ball towards our goals.
Or maybe he is concentrating on that part of his game under the direction of his coaches. He is a great kick, so that is not the issue. Fitness might be an issue as you suggest. Definitely something he has to work on.

The stats back up what can be clearly seen, Denver is very rarely part of any chain of play, he is either unable or unwilling to get into any sort of position to do anything other than spoil or mark. He could possibly make it as a full back if he were absolutely elite at spoiling and marking, but if you play anywhere else you need to be part of the chain moving the ball towards our goals.
He's being told by the coaching unit to not do those things. It's been in the post game write ups frequently, he's being asked to stay on task and be accountable first.

Not taking a crap on anyone. Just stating that stats are very overrated. Anyone can take the kick outs and chip it around the back half and all of a sudden have 15 touches.

Well, can't agree.
When Amon gets a 'cheap' stat kickout it's worth absolute gold.
When Sicily gets a 'cheap' stat kickout it's worth absolute gold.
If Serong is running 50m to get back to take a kickout, it's because the coaches reckon he is super important to the side for his kicking skills.
And they're right, because he's got very nice kicking skills.

Also indicates he's got the tank to get back and still be available as a backman after the kick.
Also indicates he's a team player instead of looking for a cheap release kick from the fullback and willing to take the pressure that comes from taking the kickout.

You've absolutely butchered that call.
Anyone CAN'T take kickouts and chip it around the back half, it's a freakin skill mate.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was replying to a comment that he might make ot as a full back. He won't. He hasn't made ot this far and time is running out, lucky to get a gig next year. But you keep being a simp for him if it helps you cope
lmao simping for a player? or supporting a player drafted by the club you love

it's fair to criticise his play and to be of the opinion he wont make it. but Simping? come on bro this isn't tiktok

How many 21-22 year old players, let alone KPP are the finished product at that age?

He's being told by the coaching unit to not do those things. It's been in the post game write ups frequently, he's being asked to stay on task and be accountable first.
Sure, and when a fourth year player is still at this stage of development, it is obvious that coaches don’t think that he is able to do anything other than mark and spoil.

Sure, and when a fourth year player is still at this stage of development, it is obvious that coaches don’t think that he is able to do anything other than mark and spoil.
Not at all. It's that they want him to find consistency doing the marking and spoiling before he tries to play off his man and do too much, which has been a problem so far.

Well, can't agree.
When Amon gets a 'cheap' stat kickout it's worth absolute gold.
When Sicily gets a 'cheap' stat kickout it's worth absolute gold.
If Serong is running 50m to get back to take a kickout, it's because the coaches reckon he is super important to the side for his kicking skills.
And they're right, because he's got very nice kicking skills.

Also indicates he's got the tank to get back and still be available as a backman after the kick.
Also indicates he's a team player instead of looking for a cheap release kick from the fullback and willing to take the pressure that comes from taking the kickout.

You've absolutely butchered that call.
Anyone CAN'T take kickouts and chip it around the back half, it's a freakin skill mate.
Each to their own, but you will find that lots of players get cheap kicks in the back half. It is not a skill with everyone.

Last edited:

Remember when multiple posters wanted Frost gone at the end of last year and said he’d only play at Box Hill this year. Perhaps players can turn it round when you least expect? Maybe while he’s wearing our colours you can back him in?

Denver missed 3 months with a significant foot / toe ligament injury.

Guess what you can’t do much with a bung foot?

Run.

Anyone with half a brain would have known a guy not noted for elite base fitness was going to have to return from such a big layoff in a fair static role at VFL level.

Hence he is playing stay at home defender, a la Frost in the seniors. Lower offensive stats, keep someone quiet, beat your man and do your job.

Makes complete sense.

Worked a charm for Scrimshaw when he got sent back to the twos last year - and now he is having his best year as a proper KPD.

too much emotion in here

he s a significant investment and I and all hawks people hope he comes good

with the pending Battle acquisition I fear 1 or 2 of Grainger and Phillips will be delisted

same with the smalls butler osullivan Bennetts .....I think at least 1 and perhaps 2 are gone unfortunately

given the investment I hope Grainger comes good

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Back