Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark Keane looking likely to leave Adelaide for Collingwood.

Probably a perfect opportunity for somebody like Denver to get a fresh start. The Crows have a no-name list of tall defenders who get the best out of themselves, so he'd be more likely to get senior opportunity early on with a good pre-season.

Adelaide currently have picks 42 and 60 for reference.
They can have Denver and a 3rd, I'll take Worrell please

I can't remember watching a player consistently do so many things right but also consistently undoing all his good work in a singular brain fade like Denver.

It's comical really. Almost as if he sets up the punch line each week and executes. He had great comedic timing today giving away the free when we had the momentum.

The player and coaches love him and there's parts of his game I love but I'm starting to lose my patience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope we add him as steak knives in the Barrass deal

He must have had some talent to be taken so high but apart from a nice mark in his debut game, he's never looked at the level

Had that one game against Carlton where he was dominant in the backline for the first quarter and a bit.

Was thinking he was going to be elite, and that we’d win. Neither happened.

He’s shown plenty at times. No tank to sustain it, confidence evaporated once he realized he was saddled with this and a decent case of the Thurgoods.

Sticky hands, athletic profile, good reader of the play.

Sometimes all the obvious tools aren’t enough.

I can't remember watching a player consistently do so many things right but also consistently undoing all his good work in a singular brain fade like Denver.

It's comical really. Almost as if he sets up the punch line each week and executes. He had great comedic timing today giving away the free when we had the momentum.

The player and coaches love him and there's parts of his game I love but I'm starting to lose my patience.
I'm not even seeing the good. There's nothing that he's doing that has even suggested to me that he should be in the team ahead of some of the VFL boys who get dropped when AFL players come back.

Hope we add him as steak knives in the Barrass deal

He must have had some talent to be taken so high but apart from a nice mark in his debut game, he's never looked at the level
That’s the thing, he was so highly rated in his draft year. Sydney were apparently locked into him all year then pivoted late when McDonald was available. But, every game I watch him the thing I always come back to is that it looks like it’s the first game of football he’s ever played. I get defending first but he just can’t seem
To accumulate any easy touches. Can’t even get to 10 disposals in any given week. After some very astute pickups, this pick must keep sleepy Mark up at night.

The odd thing about DGB is the lack of progress. He actually looked quite promising in his first few outings and most were very excited about his prospects. That was four years ago. Both the club and supporters have been very patient with him but his aerobic limitations, his temperament and his footy IQ are unchanged or have gone backwards. Even a change of position didn't help. There are flashes of genuine ability but they are transient. All that can be said of him is that he is probably better than Mitch Thorp and may be no worse than Beau Dowler. Just another example of how fickle the draft can be.

My hope is that West Coast believe they can turn his career around and he becomes a sweetener for the Barrass deal. I would not want to lose Serong who looks like a 10 year player to me.

The odd thing about DGB is the lack of progress. He actually looked quite promising in his first few outings and most were very excited about his prospects. That was four years ago. Both the club and supporters have been very patient with him but his aerobic limitations, his temperament and his footy IQ are unchanged or have gone backwards. Even a change of position didn't help. There are flashes of genuine ability but they are transient. All that can be said of him is that he is probably better than Mitch Thorp and may be no worse than Beau Dowler. Just another example of how fickle the draft can be.

My hope is that West Coast believe they can turn his career around and he becomes a sweetener for the Barrass deal. I would not want to lose Serong who looks like a 10 year player to me.
Yeah the lack of improvement is the real concern. Still athletic. Skill got good hands and foot skills. But hasnt developed beyond what he offered in his first two seasons.

I seem to recall Dowler kicking 4 goals in his final year with us in the seniors. I have never seen DGB do anything (forward or back) with that sort of impact.

We need to admit that he hasn't worked out and move on.

I feel for DGB and really wanted him to make it at Hawks.

Given we have secured Barrass and Battle AND Serong is looking a very good prospect, there is no way we can keep DGB on the list.

I suspect he will go as well as Philips. We add Battle, Barrass, Serong will step up and McCabe developing and that is a good amount tall defender depth.

I feel for DGB and really wanted him to make it at Hawks.

Given we have secured Barrass and Battle AND Serong is looking a very good prospect, there is no way we can keep DGB on the list.

I suspect he will go as well as Philips. We add Battle, Barrass, Serong will step up and McCabe developing and that is a good amount tall defender depth.

It does sound harsh, but with Battle, Barrass, Frost, Sicily, Weddle, Serong and McCabe ahead of him, he's probably clogging up a list spot for 12 more months if he's retained.

Unless we are absolutely adamant on giving him a full year attempting to play as a genuine forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Back