Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

He's surplus to needs of the list, and probably still retains some small trade value given high draft pick and 'key position' player. I'd be shopping him to see if we can get a small pick swap/upgrade on picks this year.

Teams who potentially would be in a 22 year old pick 6 KPD out of favour in a strong defense include :

brisbane: we've just seen them use hipwood in the backline due to other injuries. Albeit if they had a fully healthy list he'd be nowhere near the best team.

carlton: currently using undersized Kemp, doesn't seem to be working defensively.

collingwood: using frampton types at the moment, surely they'd be sniffing around for anybody they can use down there.

geelong: they took emerson jeka off us not long ago, he hasn't played a game yet but wouldn't be the most shocking thing ever if they tried something similar. A stretch though.

GWS - probably a stretch but they do still have keefe on their list so... not impossible.

North - CCJ/Nyoun/Pink all underwhelming and potentially won't be on the list soon. Have draft capital and will look to add Key position talent obviously, seems like clarko would ideally want comben at CHF to pair with larkey at FF rather than keep chom down back. But they'll need more depth than just Logue/Corr for that.

Richmond - Broad/Vlaustin/Mcintosh all on the wrong side of 30, cumberland probably delisted, treaszie??, they do have Miller/Balta to work with in the foreseeable future but depth outside those two is ?

Stk -Battle leaving, Marshall 28, Howard 28, Wilkie 28, wood 30, campbell 32, not much future tall depth outside of King

West Coast - he's from WA, and they are set for some significant list turnover, next year - Barrass (gone?) Mcgovern (will be 33) key position posts - would not surprise.

Surely we can get something out of him from one of these clubs. Theres just too much need for KPD depth at too many clubs for us to get SFA for him.

It sucks that it didnt work out with DGB but the 2020 draft class was absolutely horrid in hindsight

JUH, Thiltorpe, McDonald the only top 10 picks to write home about so far

What could of been if North picked McDonald as expected. DGB ends up at Sydney and we end up with Hollands/Perkins who would both be in the seniors at the moment

It sucks that it didnt work out with DGB but the 2020 draft class was absolutely horrid in hindsight

JUH, Thiltorpe, McDonald the only top 10 picks to write home about so far

What could of been if North picked McDonald as expected. DGB ends up at Sydney and we end up with Hollands/Perkins who would both be in the seniors at the moment
Perkins is terrible.

Yeah it sucks about DGB not coming on but we hardly missed out on any stars. Perkins and Hollands are very mediocre footballers and we have better players playing for us in their positions atm.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
What we will never know is how much of the "badness" from that draft year was due to COVID and how much due to just being one of those poor years you get very now and then.

I think for a draft year to have been this poor it must be a combination of both TBH.

2020 was a truly awful draft crop.

If you were to do a re-draft there are a clear top 3 in JUH at pick 1, Holmes at pick 20, Gulden at pick 32.

After that there are a few Key Position players who would go high in Thilthorpe (2), McDonald (4) and then Treacy who was a bargain at pick 7 in the Rookie draft.

Then there are a bunch of 'role-player' or '200 game' type players there that would go after that, but nobody who looks like they will be a 'star' - Powell, Perkins, Bruhn, Hollands, Campbell.

Compare that to the following year in 2021 where you have a bunch of players who have already gone past everybody listed above (including in some cases the top 3) - Naicos, JHF, Darcy, Callaghan, Amiss, Wanganeen-Milera, Van Rooyen, Lohmann, Croc, Mac Andrew, Owens.
Even the players like Rachele, Ward, Tom Brown, Motlop who haven't fully come on yet I would pick well above the Bruhn types.

I don't really mind DGB not working out. I still think he has good qualities and was hopeful that we'd be able to see more of them, but there's clearly something missing for him and it's going to hurt his chances of a long career at AFL level.

If I've learned anything it's that you don't need to nail every pick. You just need to make sure that you REALLY nail some of them. Over the period that built up to 2008 and 2013-2015 we had some absolutely shocking misses.

Luke Brennan - Pick 8, 2002
Beau Dowler - Pick 6, 2005
Mitch Thorp - Pick 6, 2006

You could probably also count Bailey, Ellis and Schoenmakers in there given that they had a limited impact and short careers in terms of games played overall.

Geelong had a period of time between 2009 - 2019 where they picked Nakia Cockatoo, Darcy Lang, Jackson Thurlow, Billie Smedts, Daniel Menzel, Mitch Brown, Lachlan Fogarty, Jordan Clark, Cooper Stephens. That's a decade without a single drafted first rounder currently on their list.

If he's delisted or moved on, so be it. Hope he goes well.

And is an average plodder aswell. Does nothing really great, don’t think would be getting a game for us either. Plays good once a month.

Hollands had had a very solid year in one of the top sides of the competition.

His first year was a write-off due to his ACL.
Very much like Jack Scrimshaw he just never settled into life as an AFL footballer at the Gold Coast. This has been his first real full season of senior footy and he's been a great value pick up IMO.

I also believe, like Scrimmers, his best footy is ahead of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perkins is terrible.

And Hollands is a tosser.

Both playing seniors though

Perkins went into a horrible system, who knows what he could of been with us? Granted could of spudded up but his still playing seniors and DGB isn't.

Hollands looks the good this year as a HF. Similar mould as Croc just hasnt had as much opportunity

I don't really mind DGB not working out. I still think he has good qualities and was hopeful that we'd be able to see more of them, but there's clearly something missing for him and it's going to hurt his chances of a long career at AFL level.

If I've learned anything it's that you don't need to nail every pick. You just need to make sure that you REALLY nail some of them. Over the period that built up to 2008 and 2013-2015 we had some absolutely shocking misses.

Luke Brennan - Pick 8, 2002
Beau Dowler - Pick 6, 2005
Mitch Thorp - Pick 6, 2006

You could probably also count Bailey, Ellis and Schoenmakers in there given that they had a limited impact and short careers in terms of games played overall.

Geelong had a period of time between 2009 - 2019 where they picked Nakia Cockatoo, Darcy Lang, Jackson Thurlow, Billie Smedts, Daniel Menzel, Mitch Brown, Lachlan Fogarty, Jordan Clark, Cooper Stephens. That's a decade without a single drafted first rounder currently on their list.

If he's delisted or moved on, so be it. Hope he goes well.
My son tells me that I need to get over our Ellis over Pendlebury selection in the 2005 draft.

One day...

yes he has ...the only good games he s played for Box hill and hawthorn (there's been about 6/7 of them in his whole time in total ) are at centre half forward where he played there last half of season + a few cameos the season before

bags of 3 and 4 goals at box hill and a couple of good games in seniors there ....he hasn't had one good game in defence
From the games I remember he lined up more at FF that CHF

DGB being a bust hasn't hurt us anywhere near as much as it could have, given Scrimshaw has developed into a quality modern CHB, and with Weddle coming in and being able to contribute straight away.

Scrimshaw has essentially developed into the player we had hoped DGB would become.
I'm of the belief that scrim is AA worthy this season. Nothing to do with biased either as I've never said that about him before and he has played some real good footy for us in the past. He was fantastic last week again.

I haven't seen a lot of BHH this year but watching highlights and reading the player reviews I don't get the sense that the club is overly enthused about him at the moment. Not to say that they are unhappy with him, just that there doesn't seem to be any level of buzz about his future.

Compare that to McCabe who is young and raw but you can easily see how he'd fit into our current team as early as next season. Or Serong who is clearly AFL quality but has had limited opportunity due to good player availability in his role.

Earlier in the season I thought DGB might get offered a 1 year extension with a trigger for another if he showed promise in the back half of the year after his toe injury. But if we land Battle and Barrass and don't have other talls leave for opportunity then I think at the moment the club would be telling him and his management to look around. A move to the rookie list or delisting if there are no takers.

The fact he was a high draft pick should have no influence on the decision. (refer to sunk-cost fallacy)

I haven't seen a lot of BHH this year but watching highlights and reading the player reviews I don't get the sense that the club is overly enthused about him at the moment. Not to say that they are unhappy with him, just that there doesn't seem to be any level of buzz about his future.

Compare that to McCabe who is young and raw but you can easily see how he'd fit into our current team as early as next season. Or Serong who is clearly AFL quality but has had limited opportunity due to good player availability in his role.

Earlier in the season I thought DGB might get offered a 1 year extension with a trigger for another if he showed promise in the back half of the year after his toe injury. But if we land Battle and Barrass and don't have other talls leave for opportunity then I think at the moment the club would be telling him and his management to look around. A move to the rookie list or delisting if there are no takers.

The fact he was a high draft pick should have no influence on the decision. (refer to sunk-cost fallacy)
We gave Thorp and Dowler more time LOL

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Back