Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

We have doctors and psychologists. I find it hard to imagine they would have missed what has become a pretty common condition.
I mean it's not as though we know that he doesn't have it.

All of 3 players have come out about it, the AFLW player Emma O'Driscoll, Heath Shaw and Jordan De Goey - and De Goey got lambasted for it. Considering the number of players in the AFL there's almost certainly others who have it and haven't announced it.

It could just be something they've managed without it becoming public knowledge, we don't know the ins and outs of every AFL player's psychological profile.

I mean it's not as though we know that he doesn't have it.

All of 3 players have come out about it, the AFLW player Emma O'Driscoll, Heath Shaw and Jordan De Goey - and De Goey got lambasted for it. Considering the number of players in the AFL there's almost certainly others who have it and haven't announced it.

It could just be something they've managed without it becoming public knowledge, we don't know the ins and outs of every AFL player's psychological profile.

And Clayton Oliver too I believe?

To dox myself a touch, I was diagnosed later with ADHD. I wonder about it from time to time with players because of the amount of focus that is required these days. You would either have to be next level instinctive in your playing ability, or you would have to have the game be where your hyper-focus moment falls every week.

ADHD totally affected my sports “career”, amongst other things. I was one of the best in the side when I was mentally there, but I could easily and often drop off—like right off a cliff style—when my focus was gone. A bad decision, a person on the sidelines, a well timed sledge could all send me at right angles—rarely in a violent way though—and I would be left floundering trying to catch up with the rhythm of the game again. It used to get so disappointed with myself that I could just ‘reset’. Cricket was the worst, see something out the corner of your eye at that moment the bowler is coming in, you are screwed.

Anyway, I wondered about the meds also. I don’t take them all the time—actually i dont like taking them, but when I do, I can get in order a lot quicker and can get a lot more work done. So it is, indeed, performance enhancing. With around 6% of the population having it, I wonder if they have a protocol for it.
Great post, theirs so many nuances in it that it really depends on the individual to. And not saying Denver has it directly but that their seem to be a few signs of something.

Meds are a funny one as once again everyone responds differently, but the classic mental tools, games to focus that can be done and just generally attentive to now are all little tricks you can use prior to meds. I would always advocate against those meds but I am no doctor.

What you semi described sounds like hyper emotion that can basically bowl over any focus and as you age this becomes easier to manage (with life experience). Not all negative either but as you say it did have some.

It’s such an interesting thing to look into because of how varied and nuanced it is with different cases. One that is much better understood and managed in current times.

FWIW, quite a few pediatricians are saying anecdotally, up to 35% of kids 7-11 years have developed some form of ADHD post-Covid, vast majority mild, but the traits are incredibly common. Almost certainly secondary to lockdown, and far more common in families with just one child. Most common in Victoria, understandable given the rigorous lock-down regime.
I'm dead against the medications used, and should be given only as a last resort (and I am a doctor)

Sorry if I’ve missed something, but is there any reason we have pseudo diagnosed a player with a potential medical condition? This isn’t to say he may or may not have it, I’m just wondering how we got here.
I made a comment because he is a yahoo on the field as a basic summary haha

The injury can excuse some parts of why he has struggled this year but his attitude stinks. Can't help certain fitness or skill issues but you are 100% in control of your actions on the field.

I don't know if he thinks it's a way to lead, be tough or whatever but all it does is hurt the team and honestly it looks pretty embarrassing. He seems more interested in going and picking fights than actually applying himself to his craft. I don't think he has been further from a spot at AFL level than any stage in his career.

The next 8 weeks will be critical to DGB - largely as McCabe coming into the side makes for an interesting comparison.

If McCabe goes beyond what DGB is currently doing, and has similar profiles - it will leave DGB behind someone 3-4 years his junior. That to me makes his position in the club pretty tenuous.

Obviously - speculating a tonne here. McCabe has not played a lot of football in the last 12 months, so my expectations are pretty low for remainder of this season (just hope he gets through the rest of the season without injury).

More just raise this, as its a possibility - and hopefully DGB sees this as a motivator to lift his game.

DGB gave away a 50m penalty and now he has ADHD
Well summed up.

Some of you people need to realise this is a public board.

It’s not a safe space to just come up with theories or diagnose a players mental health, and I’m amazed that even needs to be pointed out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well summed up.

Some of you people need to realise this is a public board.

It’s not a safe space to just come up with theories or diagnose a players mental health, and I’m amazed that even needs to be pointed out.
Not my decision but would be worth removing those posts for the reasons you've just mentioned. They're so unnecessary 🤦🏻

🤣 ADHD!
The things we do to hold onto hope.

sick eric cartman GIF by South Park

How depressing that we flushed pick 6 in the bog. The only consolation is that it was a weak draft. Still depressing though. Errol Guldin is hiding further down that list somewhere too.

1720038177096.png

How depressing that we flushed pick 6 in the bog. The only consolation is that it was a weak draft. Still depressing though. Errol Guldin is hiding further down that list somewhere too.

View attachment 2037960
It is, but we got the best player out of all of these with pick 2 in the MSD.

I get all the frustrations with Denver but I genuinely believe he will come good. Probably wont reach the lofty expectations of a being a top 10 pick but I can see him becoming a reliable third tall playing a specific role. He will come good, I expect to see some really good signs next season provided he has a good preseason and run with injuries

Personally, I think Denver's current problems on the footy field stem from tension between his parents during his infancy.

You have absolutely no knowledge on the subject and your opinions are disregarded.

It's clearly because Mercury was in retrograde during his conception.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back