Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson!

Remove this Banner Ad

Very envious Hawks fans.
A redo of 23 draft he is the clear number 2 pick IMO.

His impact on a match for a half dozen
Game small forward is insane.

Countless great players have started
their careers with goal kicking yips.
He is too talented not to sort it out.

If u are old enough to remember ……Tom Hawkins first season and a half is a prime example… couldn’t hit a barn door
I do remember, it was more the he couldn’t even hit the barn. He was so bad, that when he got that kick to win the game after the siren during the Curse, I was pretty sure he’d miss. I was in disbelief for about a minute that it had all transpired the way it did.

I do remember, it was more the he couldn’t even hit the barn. He was so bad, that when he got that kick to win the game after the siren during the Curse, I was pretty sure he’d miss. I was in disbelief for about a minute that it had all transpired the way it did.
Hawkins kicked 3.2 in his first game and 4.1 in his second, I’d be rapt if Watson was putting up similar numbers.

empire spoilers GIF

What I love about Wiz is that he isn’t letting the goal kicking affect him in the head, he continues to chase and look ridiculously dangerous.

Also, I don’t know if anyone caught it during the game, but in the last quarter I had a chuckle when he missed one of his snaps on the Punt Rd end and he waved to the jeering Tiger fans.

I think it’s an inevitable that a bag of goals is coming soon, he’s getting and creating too many opportunities for himself. Loving the show

What I love about Wiz is that he isn’t letting the goal kicking affect him in the head, he continues to chase and look ridiculously dangerous.

Also, I don’t know if anyone caught it during the game, but in the last quarter I had a chuckle when he missed one of his snaps on the Punt Rd end and he waved to the jeering Tiger fans.

I think it’s an inevitable that a bag of goals is coming soon, he’s getting and creating too many opportunities for himself. Loving the show
That effort where he ran a much bigger Vlastuin under the ball and took the biggest stretching overhead grab he could was his play of the day for me. Even more difficult than that crumb and delivery to Moore off the wing. The ability to stop on a dime and spring off two feet to grab that was unreal.

Vlastuin is no slouch, much bigger and stronger than you'd assume. Got completely outpointed by a bloke 20cm shorter and possibly 20kg lighter.

Edit: sorry, not Vlastuin, Tom Brown - even bigger at 193cm.

Yes it would be better that he doesn’t stuff up the set shots. But it will come. The hardest part is getting the opportunities and he is creating plenty.

Technique is important and he needs to stick to one that is uncomplicated and simple. He needs to train drop punts from 40m running straight rather than hooking it. He can kick it 40m he just isn’t trusting himself at present.

All he needs to do with his goal kicking is ……… copy Chol.
Probably the simplest technique in the AFL at the moment.

It really bothers me how he is constantly flipping the ball around in his hands when walking in to take a set shot. Bud used to do this too and it just seems to introduce an unnecessary variable that would ultimately affect ball drop.
All the most reliable set shot goal kickers tend to have the ball pretty still when they’re approaching. Look at Chol, Breust, Moore and Gunston for contrast. The ball is still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully the game against West Coast allows us freedom to feed him the ball so that he can get a couple early goals to get the monkey off his back.

End the game with a big bag to announce himself and run with that form and not look back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back