Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel for DGB and really wanted him to make it at Hawks.

Given we have secured Barrass and Battle AND Serong is looking a very good prospect, there is no way we can keep DGB on the list.

I suspect he will go as well as Philips. We add Battle, Barrass, Serong will step up and McCabe developing and that is a good amount tall defender depth.
I think this is fair.

Will definitely get a chance elsewhere and might even get senior football. Just wrong place at the wrong time.

We all like our Hawk listed players knocking down the door for senior selection, DGB can’t even turn the door handle without wanting to punch the door.

Unfortunately for us he is struggling big time in the VFL with little impact.

Last edited:

He’s not good enough for VFL, let alone AFL. I can’t see any club trading for him unless they just haven’t watched him since he was drafted. Hes not close now and next year we will add Barass and Battle, plus Blanck returns and McCabe has another year of development. Should be delisted.

He’s not good enough for VFL, let alone AFL. I can’t see any club trading for him unless they just haven’t watched him since he was drafted. Hes not close now and next year we will add Barass and Battle, plus Blanck returns and McCabe has another year of development. Should be delisted.
I'm afraid I agree with all of this.

If you watched him yesterday, and had no knowledge of where he was picked, you'd assume he was a Box Hill listed player.

I'm afraid I agree with all of this.

If you watched him yesterday, and had no knowledge of where he was picked, you'd assume he was a Box Hill listed player.
Yep, he looks a Mitch Thorp type bust.

He would be behind Serong, Blanck, Phillips, and with Barrass and Battle coming in, I just can’t see how he survives at our club.

If he gets another gig at an AFL club and carves out a decent career then good luck to him. If we get something like a 3rd rounder for him I would consider it a bonus.

Has a lot of growing up to do. If I was coaching him, you’d just want to pull your hair out
I don’t think the growing up part will or should be at Hawthorn
Flick him

Of all the things that have been mentioned the real reason is his running ability and tank. Everytime he came off the ground he was labouring. His physical fitness holds him back. Then emotions do get the better of him on field as he puts so much pressure on himself to perform. His confidence is low and its hard to see how he stays on the list sadly.

Of all the things that have been mentioned the real reason is his running ability and tank. Everytime he came off the ground he was labouring. His physical fitness holds him back. Then emotions do get the better of him on field as he puts so much pressure on himself to perform. His confidence is low and its hard to see how he stays on the list sadly.
That's the thing I find so confusing with DGB, his (relative) lack of fitness.

Id have thought putting anybody in an elite full time sports program their fitness would have improved significantly in four years. Just the amount of training he would have done in this four years to still be struggling to run games out is very unusual.

It may be that he is just genetically not able to meet the fitness levels required which is bad luck for both DGB and the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the thing I find so confusing with DGB, his (relative) lack of fitness.

Id have thought putting anybody in an elite full time sports program their fitness would have improved significantly in four years. Just the amount of training he would have done in this four years to still be struggling to run games out is very unusual.

It may be that he is just genetically not able to meet the fitness levels required which is bad luck for both DGB and the club.
in his defence he did have a fair few injuries. The toe this year meant he couldn't run or anything for a long while.

I think we should back him and Peter Burges in and extend his contract for another 2 years.

Like Conor Nash at 22, I believe that Denver's weapons, even if they could actually be completely opposite to Conors, are still too good to ignore.

I believe his value to us will be at his highest in four years time when he could be the 26 year we need down back.

I think we should back him and Peter Burges in and extend his contract for another 2 years.

Like Conor Nash at 22, I believe that Denver's weapons, even if they could actually be completely opposite to Conors, are still too good to ignore.

I believe his value to us will be at his highest in four years time when he could be the 26 year we need down back.

Are you serious?
He was drafted in 2020. You’re saying keep him on the list in expectation (or hope) that he may be playing good footy in 2028?

No chance of that.

in his defence he did have a fair few injuries. The toe this year meant he couldn't run or anything for a long while.
I said at the time that was probably the worst type of injury a player like DGB could have got. It meant he fell even further behind the pack with regards to his fitness.

Still though it's unusual that as a casual observer watching Box Hill his endurance levels don't seem to have changed much in four years in an AFL club environment.

I get the feeling him being exhausted is why he lashes out and gives away those silly frees, he gets frustrated at not being able to keep up with the pace of the game.

I get the feeling him being exhausted is why he lashes out and gives away those silly frees, he gets frustrated at not being able to keep up with the pace of the game.
If he is getting frustrated at the pace of the game at VFL level.. can't see how he can handle AFL. Been over 12 months since he's even been considered for a game.

As someone who gets down to a lot of sessions, what is he like during pre season? The lack of improvement in his endurance 4 years in makes me think he doesnt/hasn't given himself the best chance to Make it.

As someone who gets down to a lot of sessions, what is he like during pre season? The lack of improvement in his endurance 4 years in makes me think he doesnt/hasn't given himself the best chance to Make it.
He had an interrupted pre season through injury but is usually in the last few in the running drills. It's his real weakness.

I feel for DGB and really wanted him to make it at Hawks.

Given we have secured Barrass and Battle AND Serong is looking a very good prospect, there is no way we can keep DGB on the list.

I suspect he will go as well as Philips. We add Battle, Barrass, Serong will step up and McCabe developing and that is a good amount tall defender depth.
It's a toss up between Phillips and DGB to get the flick. but phillips has shown more in such a shorter time.

I really liked DGBs wreckless attack and white line fever - too bad it doesn't mean hes fit

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Back