Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Dylan Moore. Extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Both deserve it but I've never seen it work well
best case was probably last year with Brisbane getting within a kick of winning the GF, but that's one in many that fail. Notably (this might be bullshit but off the top of my head) it seems co-captains tend to come with rebuilding sides, especially younger players that mightn't have as much experience. Those situations are set up for failure

i also wonder how much impact the title of one captain has in a game with 18 players on field. i expect that the leadership group as a whole is more important than the individual you give captain to, especially when a line away from the ball.

but then there's the whole spiritual and mental element of a captain bringing the rest of their team up with them which is fairytale bullshit but also somehow very true. and the day-to-day stuff like speaking to the players, motivating them, having them on your side, setting standards on and off-field etc.

nice...i feel like through my vomit of consciousness I've answered my own question expertly

i also wonder how much impact the title of one captain has in a game with 18 players on field. i expect that the leadership group as a whole is more important than the individual you give captain to, especially when a line away from the ball.

but then there's the whole spiritual and mental element of a captain bringing the rest of their team up with them which is fairytale bullshit but also somehow very true. and the day-to-day stuff like speaking to the players, motivating them, having them on your side, setting standards on and off-field etc.

nice...i feel like through my vomit of consciousness I've answered my own question expertly
Captains inspire, encourage and lift all by example and demand. Shit if Hodge was my captain I’d be Prime Minister 😂

Mitchell got better once Hodge took the reins if I remember correctly.
There was a lot of 'Hodge is the spiritual captain' coming from the pundits just before he took over, throwing some shade towards Mitchell, but it transpired that Mitch was playing injured that year.

A couple of years later, Hodge had his own injuries to contend with and Mitch was burning it up - and then the commentary was all, 'Well, Mitchell was the captain for a reason'.

Moore has some eye catching moments of pure desperation in the last quarter, especially late. Almost jagged a goal near the end, almost took a huge mark floating in front of the pack deep in the forward line, had a key smother, and just prior to that he absolutely launched himself at the ball in the D50. Also had the last tackle for the game too.

Mitchell got better once Hodge took the reins if I remember correctly.

Come what may you'll find us striving.
Team work is the thing that talks.

To get better Mitchell tried to be more like Hodge.
But when Hodge tried to be more like Mitchell, everyone at Hawthorn got better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not according to big eth-dog and his goals/goal assists tally 💀😂
I'm not a fan of this post prompting me to go back on the main board to look.

There's a North poster in there trying to claim that Sheezel should be AA as a half forward. I'm never getting those braincells back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back