Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Emerson Jeka - delisted 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

In nearly 4 seasons at the club he has played AFL 7 games.

He has also played 28 games at VFL level.

The club know what he is capable of, and the idea that we “expose” him to AFL footy just to see if he can handle it or not in the last month of year 4 seems odd.

He has a couple of good AFL games, but so did Tom Scully, Tom Phillips, Hartigan, Hartley, etc. - and they actually worked really hard all the time!
Matthew Suckling played 6 in 5 years.
First drafted in 2006, didn't establish himself until 2011.
The club knew he had an exceptionally good left-foot kick, and we needed him, so they persisted with him until he found fitness and form.
When there is a need and you have a big talent, sometimes patience is justified.

I have to admit I was never a big fan of Suckling's, but the club was vindicated.
He played a role in our success.

But I have already fired. Look he may get another year but I think his papers are stamped.
Just think it's besides the point. In great form but can't stay on the park, nothing to do with how good of a player he is.

Matthew Suckling played 6 in 5 years.
First drafted in 2006, didn't establish himself until 2011.
The club knew he had an exceptionally good left-foot kick, and we needed him, so they persisted with him until he found fitness and form.
When there is a need and you have a big talent, sometimes patience is justified.

I have to admit I was never a big fan of Suckling's, but the club was vindicated.
He played a role in our success.
Drafted in Nov 2006.
Missed all of 2007 & 2008 with osteitis pubis. Cut from the list
Redrafted at #81 in the 2009 rookie draft.

Remembering we were the top side in 2008 and whilst 2009 was a hangover, from 2007 - 2010 our side was stacked with elite talent. Clearly not that way at the moment.

I hope Emerson isn’t injured again, but I doubt any other clubs are sniffing around, so cutting him and then rookie-listing him makes sense to me.

We have tried everything else haven’t we?

I've only seen the second half but unfortunately hasn't been particularly effective.

His first half was even less effective. I was really disappointed in the first 5 minutes when he had a lot of the ball to set the tone and he turned over maybe 3-4 kicks in that first part of the game. That was a huge opportunity for Jeka, in a game on a faster, drier deck where he could show if he had some AFL quality traits. He didn't take it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn’t he keep Sam Day goalless? His kicking was off all day which was a bit strange.

He’s got insanely good skills but today was strange, he was so off with it all. But judging a player off 1 game is quite harsh. Wish him the best I still think he’s talented but not sure where he ends up.

He’s got insanely good skills but today was strange, he was so off with it all. But judging a player off 1 game is quite harsh. Wish him the best I still think he’s talented but not sure where he ends up.
1 game ? He has consistently been all over the show.

He can not focus for 4 continues qtr.

I don’t think anyone is judging him on 1 game.
I don’t know how you could come to that conclusion

The same could be said for a lot of our AFL listed players on yesterday's performance.
Wasn't Jeka on Sam Day mostly? Last time the teams met and Jeka didn't play Day kicked 4.
Do those players in question actually have some runs on the board from other games? I would think so!

A the ones that don’t could very well be on there way out as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back