Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Jack Ginnivan!

Remove this Banner Ad

We won more games than we lost with him doing what he does best.
If a social media post is what keeps an opposition club sleeping with the lights on, they certainly have more to worry about than that moving forward.
Keep doing you Gini - thanks for putting bums on seats this year and galvanising the younger group.
You are a main reason why our new culture is what it is.
Hollywood Hawks!

Lessons for all but the lazy narrative that this influenced the result is just that. So many moments in a game determined by 3 points. A midweek tweet had nothing to do with it.

The bigger lesson for Jack was that his direct opponent played a blinder and Jack wasn’t able to get himself dangerous enough or defend well enough to curtail that.

Lessons for all but the lazy narrative that this influenced the result is just that. So many moments in a game determined by 3 points. A midweek tweet had nothing to do with it.

The bigger lesson for Jack was that his direct opponent played a blinder and Jack wasn’t able to get himself dangerous enough or defend well enough to curtail that.

I think the big lesson is this kids immaturity puts pressure on the club as a whole and it’s just pointless.. It just provided clear motivation for the opposition.. The club has to go in and bat for him, the captain needed to get wrapped up in it.. The Port coach acted like a peanut for sure, but it doesn’t happen if Ginavin thinks about the team over himself.. I wonder if the internal message to Ginavin is stronger than the one provided in the media.. I hope so, cause he’s got to learn from moments like this.. On the field, this guy provides so much, but he needs to get past the off field BS..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think the big lesson is this kids immaturity puts pressure on the club as a whole and it’s just pointless.. It just provided clear motivation for the opposition.. The club has to go in and bat for him, the captain needed to get wrapped up in it.. The Port coach acted like a peanut for sure, but it doesn’t happen if Ginavin thinks about the team over himself.. I wonder if the internal message to Ginavin is stronger than the one provided in the media.. I hope so, cause he’s got to learn from moments like this.. On the field, this guy provides so much, but he needs to get past the off field BS..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The motivation and pressure for both teams is making a preliminary final, not getting back at some social media comment.

It's just a bit of extra "haha **** you" after the game for Port fans, and apparently their 60 year old coach

This off field social media banter will become the norm over the next decade as the next generation enters the comp. Get used to it or become old man yelling at cloud complaining about how everyone was tougher and everything was better back in your day.

The motivation and pressure for both teams is making a preliminary final, not getting back at some social media comment.

It's just a bit of extra "haha **** you" after the game for Port fans, and apparently their 60 year old coach

This off field social media banter will become the norm over the next decade as the next generation enters the comp. Get used to it or become old man yelling at cloud complaining about how everyone was tougher and everything was better back in your day.
bolded part 100% - Mitch summed it up perfectly when he said something like the players hardly SMS each other anymore, it's all on the socials.

Really disappointed in a few in the media who have shown their true colours - celebrating the players for their exuberance and celebrations, lambasting them when it doesn't fit their old-school narrative. Hypocrites.

I like Ginnivan because he dares to be himself in a game where players tend to be sycophantic mouthpieces for the club rather than individuals. By the same token, I am wary of Ginnivan when he seeks to taunt a club the way he did Port this week. He poked the bear and got bitten, though he took Hinkley's outburst in good spirit.

I can't agree with Mitchell's condemnation of Hinkley. Ginnivan is not a kid in the manner in which he goads opposition players and taunts opposition fans. He does not deserve to be treated as a kid when he trolls in the manner in which he did last week. To be honest, I don't think he would have expected much different than he got in the circumstances.

He has been great for Hawthorn this year and a loss to Collingwood in that his departure partly resulted in us losing a first round pick in a special draft year. He will be even better when you get some tall backs on board and improve what is already a quality line up. He just needs to learn when to keep his mouth shut.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In Hinkley’s sad attempt to one up a 21yo even after barely securing the SF win he has effectively conceded that his coaching wasn’t the difference. It was some externally sourced motivation that won’t be there next week.

I am glad that Ginnivan talked to the leaders of the club this week and told them he regretted his decision to post that remark to Grundy, it’s a lesson learnt and good on him for owning it.

I didn't realise this had taken place. Very pleased to hear it.

Ginnivan behaved like a (selfish) smart-arse in the lead up to the game and didn't back it up on the field - his opponent was close to BOG and he was poor overall (and noticeably weak in a few contests).
People talk about DeGoey as Kmart Dusty - but Ginnivan is in danger of becoming our Kmart Aker.
He's had a good year and been a very valuable addition, but he has a fraction of Aker's talent and should be given a fraction of the leeway Aker received.

I hope Sam holds a firmer leash from here on in, because this kid will definitely take liberties otherwise.

Well, Ken just provided him with his next celebration against Port for the next decade

Shark Tank Dance GIF by ABC Network

I didn't realise this had taken place. Very pleased to hear it.

Ginnivan behaved like a (selfish) smart-arse in the lead up to the game and didn't back it up on the field - his opponent was close to BOG and he was poor overall (and noticeably weak in a few contests).
People talk about DeGoey as Kmart Dusty - but Ginnivan is in danger of becoming our Kmart Aker.
He's had a good year and been a very valuable addition, but he has a fraction of Aker's talent and should be given a fraction of the leeway Aker received.

I hope Sam holds a firmer leash from here on in, because this kid will definitely take liberties otherwise.
Okay boomer

So much carry on about the tweet. It was Ginny bantering with a mate. It wasn't said to Port or anyone at Port, nor directed at anyone at Port. Massive overreaction and storm in a teacup.

What it shows is the sad state of the current AFL media that they will lurk through socials to try and latch on to any small thing from which they can manufacture some degree of controversy. Create clicks, drive forward their own brand and pat themselves on the back.

They cry out for characters in our game and then relentlessly ride them.

In Hinkley’s sad attempt to one up a 21yo even after barely securing the SF win he has effectively conceded that his coaching wasn’t the difference. It was some externally sourced motivation that won’t be there next week.

What's the bet we play Port next year on the MCG, in a Friday night game.

I like Ginnivan because he dares to be himself in a game where players tend to be sycophantic mouthpieces for the club rather than individuals. By the same token, I am wary of Ginnivan when he seeks to taunt a club the way he did Port this week. He poked the bear and got bitten, though he took Hinkley's outburst in good spirit.

I can't agree with Mitchell's condemnation of Hinkley. Ginnivan is not a kid in the manner in which he goads opposition players and taunts opposition fans. He does not deserve to be treated as a kid when he trolls in the manner in which he did last week. To be honest, I don't think he would have expected much different than he got in the circumstances.

He has been great for Hawthorn this year and a loss to Collingwood in that his departure partly resulted in us losing a first round pick in a special draft year. He will be even better when you get some tall backs on board and improve what is already a quality line up. He just needs to learn when to keep his mouth shut.
Why do you Collingwood folk care so much

You didn’t want him, you traded him

And yet here you are

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Jack Ginnivan!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back