Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Jack Ginnivan!

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't realise this had taken place. Very pleased to hear it.

Ginnivan behaved like a (selfish) smart-arse in the lead up to the game and didn't back it up on the field - his opponent was close to BOG and he was poor overall (and noticeably weak in a few contests).
People talk about DeGoey as Kmart Dusty - but Ginnivan is in danger of becoming our Kmart Aker.
He's had a good year and been a very valuable addition, but he has a fraction of Aker's talent and should be given a fraction of the leeway Aker received.

I hope Sam holds a firmer leash from here on in, because this kid will definitely take liberties otherwise.
All I got out of this overblown mess is - let this be a lesson to all teams our there, don't make Port Adelaide angry, or you will really, really regret it. FFS, it is a final. If they come out with extra intensity, match it! You are professional footballers. No need to pee your pants all week worrying about upsetting them.
If I was the Hawks coach next year, before the Port Adelaide game, I would sledge them all day, every day in the media. Bring it!
Maybe this is just my rugby league background coming out? The NSW Origin coach sledged Qld mercilessly all series, had the players on board, and smashed them. I hadn't seen this in 40 years. It got real personal at times between the coaches. For years, NSW had always been careful not to offend Qld, and they just laughed at us.
Go Ginny, love ya mate! Keep doing you.
Go Hawks!

I genuinely like JG. Have met him personally and for mine and from what I could tell, he’s a good kid. If he sorts out his off field issues there is significant upside left in his game, no doubt about it

The senior players like him and from what I’ve heard Sam likes him as well. Love watching him play and look forward to seeing what he can do next year

After watching the game back you could definitely tell he was feeling the pressure and looked unnaturally fumbly.

I reckon he'll have a similar motivation to his off-season that he did after being ousted from Collingwood.

Hinkley should have kept his mouth shut after the match but asked the port social media team to make something smart up.

That would have been the way to play it.

But it’s port, class isn’t a thing for them.
I remember going to a VFL game a few months back, there were some teens/early 20 year olds talking smack on the hill and having a fairly light-hearted laugh at the expense of a couple Port Melbourne players who were mucking up (mind you they were up on Box Hill at the time) and there was this rusted on PM supporter who looked like he'd been following the VFL since the 70s who took exception to it.

The kids would shout something along the lines of "Great kick 43, does it come in... ACCURATE?" and would all piss themselves laughing.
Old mate didn't like it, a Box Hill player slipped over and he shouted "****en hell 24, only thing looser than your boots is your mums hole".
Kids kept making their banter, but a lot quieter. Old mate kept shouting crass/rude things (also sunk tinnies and littered the whole time).

At the end of the game, old mate went up to the kids and said "good banter" and shook all of their hands.

I genuinely think there is a massive divide/disconnect between gen X / early gen Y and people born after the year 2000 when it comes to these things

I don't think Jack should have made that tweet, he needed to show better judgment, but i also think that it has been blown completely out of proportion. I watch some American sports and these guys are constantly baiting each other via social media.

During his breakout 2022 season he was copping it for drawing high contact free kicks. The media was all over him for being a cheat, but at the same time they were lauding Joel Selwood "courageous" for doing the exact same thing. I also remember him being interviewed post match and he detailed how much of a mental toll it had taken on him.

Also, in the 2022 Prelim he was injured, camera pans to him on the bench and he's getting booed by the opposition fans. He has dealt with so much scrutiny and at such a young age. I just remember feeling sorry for him at the time.

I was glad that Sis stood up for him, i think it would have meant a lot for him that our coach and captain have his back. As i supporter i am 100% behind him too.

Some of you guys are looking at this all wrong.

Since we beat them in 2014 prelim, we've had a losing record against Port.

Jack has brought the worst out of Ken and Rozee.

Next season (and from now on), the Port game will be a bye. The players can take the week off and Sam can put Ken's aeroplane pic, along with smug Rozee's face on the whiteboard for a nice percentage boost. They brought this on themselves.

Just saw the clip of Wines talking to Triple M. Yes, he did say they had the Ginni comment up on the whiteboard, but he was asked specifically about it. He also said that they didn't like all the media and footy pundits writing them off last week.

So as much as the media are trying to make out like it was all because of Jack's comment, it was really just one small part of the larger narrative driven by the footy media.

I don’t really care if you agree or not.. The proof was there actually, they played like men possessed at the start of the match.. they were at fever pitch, and we went more than a quarter before we put a goal on the board.. Are you certain that Ginavins comments didn’t contribute to that in any way?? I don’t think you can be sure at all.. Hinkley admitted the comment was constantly referred to, so my point is, if it’s not said there is no ammunition. All good you don’t agree…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
So Port Adelaide played at their best and we lost by 3 points......It's a final we expect them to be at their best.

If they are not giving their all and putting on manic pressure to the best of their ability in a semi-final than that is a problem.

We were not at our best and many players hadn't played in a game that hyped. I know people were saying big crowd for CJ's 50th etc... but that was nothing.

We lost by 3 points to a side that has had 5 consecutive top 4 H&A finishes with lots of finals experience. On their home ground. Many of our guys were playing their 2nd ever night game.

Sis dribbles one that miss’s by inches
Moore smacks the post
Sis then smacks the post
A ball drops a foot short Of Mc with 4sec to go …

They late cost us a win ….. not Ginny and ports use of his tweet .
( don’t even get me started of Chol pinged for to far , a ball that falcons a Port player only to bounce to their advantage for a goal or the push used to get PORTS last goal )

Luck not motivation was our enemy
Ports first goal was from a free kick for incorrect disposal that was clearly a handball.

All I got out of this overblown mess is - let this be a lesson to all teams our there, don't make Port Adelaide angry, or you will really, really regret it. FFS, it is a final. If they come out with extra intensity, match it! You are professional footballers. No need to pee your pants all week worrying about upsetting them.
If I was the Hawks coach next year, before the Port Adelaide game, I would sledge them all day, every day in the media. Bring it!
Maybe this is just my rugby league background coming out? The NSW Origin coach sledged Qld mercilessly all series, had the players on board, and smashed them. I hadn't seen this in 40 years. It got real personal at times between the coaches. For years, NSW had always been careful not to offend Qld, and they just laughed at us.
Go Ginny, love ya mate! Keep doing you.
Go Hawks!
Yep, Sledging before down' change the result. Just makes you more embarrassed when you lose. Hinkley didn't need to chirp back at Ginnivan after the game, the scoreboard does that for him. Hinkley didn't have the guts to say, "I think we will win" before the game, Ginnivan did.

I don’t really care if you agree or not.. The proof was there actually, they played like men possessed at the start of the match.. they were at fever pitch, and we went more than a quarter before we put a goal on the board.. Are you certain that Ginavins comments didn’t contribute to that in any way?? I don’t think you can be sure at all.. Hinkley admitted the comment was constantly referred to, so my point is, if it’s not said there is no ammunition. All good you don’t agree…

You don’t think that getting absolutely belted by Geelong the week before. Absolutely embarrassed on their home deck. Absolutely lambasted and embarrassed by the media all week.
And here we are listening to all these people on this forum and in the media saying that Ginnivan gave them something. That is absolute bull$hit from Hinkley and a smoke screen he’s used because it was HIM that couldn’t get his team motivated. He pointed the finger at Ginnivan but the subtext is that he was really pointing the finger at everyone else around him and used Ginnivan as his scapegoat. He’s a weak coach and his record of not making a grand final thus far with all the resources and talent at his fingertips is laid bare if you look closely. Ken zero premierships, Ginnivan 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hinkley and port head of football -
" You throw that sort of stuff at us, we'll throw something back at ya"
This is what they're doing with, however, they didn't have the guts to do it during the week before the game.
Anyway, we agree, our time will come to throw something back at them.
We are not going to let those flogs drag our player through the mud! No way.

my partner has the hots for max gawn so was a "Melbourne fan" but never really cared about footy

she got sucked in by hokball this season and tonight just sent me this message

1726395358510.png

and you know why? because of players like Ginni making the game interesting for non-fans on social media

love what he's given to this club and can't wait for the next decade of him pissing off the oppo and making fossils in the media, bigfooty, and apparently actual professional coaches, rage

my partner has the hots for max gawn so was a "Melbourne fan" but never really cared about footy

she got sucked in by hokball this season and tonight just sent me this message

View attachment 2112010

and you know why? because of players like Ginni making the game interesting for non-fans on social media

love what he's given to this club and can't wait for the next decade of him pissing off the oppo and making fossils in the media, bigfooty, and apparently actual professional coaches, rage

My sister is the exact same. 4 flag dynasty team? Could probably name 3 players.

Hokball 2024 tho she’s messaging and talking about it all the time. Asked who her favourite player is atm “Weddle, he’s so random”

You're taking an all or nothing approach here.

The tweet was used as ammunition.

If the tweet wasn't made then their piss poor perfomrance the week earlier would have been motivation. Winning a final would have been motivation. Ken Hinkley keeping his job was motivation. Ruining Breust's 300th celebration would have been motivation. Playing well in front of their crowd would have been motivation. Sticking it up everyone who bagged Butters for subbing out last week would have been motivation.

It was a tweet.

There are a million things that go into motivating a professional sporting team. One of a million things. Blaming the tweet is borderline superstitious delusion at these point.

I mean, it's not like the Port players though "shit, we should probably tackle hard this week. Hadn't considered that - but we saw Ginnivan's tweet so yeh now we are angry, and we are going to change out plan to include hard tackling."

It was a tweet.
It wasn't a tweet. It was a comment on an Instagram post.

Not having a go at you but I keep seeing people refer to it as a tweet, and it's not just semantics to call out the difference.

Tweets are by design meant to gain as much public visibility as possible via the retweet function which essentially allows anyone to natively share that tweet with their own audience who can then also retweet it. Things can naturally go viral if retweeted enough. That's why Jack made the "Breaking News, just went for a walk" post a tweet. He wanted that to be seen by everyone.

A comment on an Instagram post by comparison is designed to only be visible within the context of the post it was made on even though it can be publicly visible to anyone looking at that post depending on the security/privacy settings of the content owner.

Yeah, maybe Jack should have known because of who he is and what was at stake that other people would screenshot his comment and share it on other platforms and that it would quickly find its way into the traditional media and be shared wide, often and without the context it was originally made in. But I genuinely believe the same thing would have happened had he made the comment more privately (like in a WhatsApp group chat) and someone had leaked a screenshot.

It wasn't a tweet. It was a comment on an Instagram post.

Not having a go at you but I keep seeing people refer to it as a tweet, and it's not just semantics to call out the difference.

Tweets are by design meant to gain as much public visibility as possible via the retweet function which essentially allows anyone to natively share that tweet with their own audience who can then also retweet it. Things can naturally go viral if retweeted enough. That's why Jack made the "Breaking News, just went for a walk" post a tweet. He wanted that to be seen by everyone.

A comment on an Instagram post by comparison is designed to only be visible within the context of the post it was made on even though it can be publicly visible to anyone looking at that post depending on the security/privacy settings of the content owner.

Yeah, maybe Jack should have known because of who he is and what was at stake that other people would screenshot his comment and share it on other platforms and that it would quickly find its way into the traditional media and be shared wide, often and without the context it was originally made in. But I genuinely believe the same thing would have happened had he made the comment more privately (like in a WhatsApp group chat) and someone had leaked a screenshot.
Omg THANK YOU.

A comment on a post on insta is very, very different than a tweet. To anyone who doesn't understand the difference between the two (or don't care to) perhaps this is a discussion topic that you should refrain from commenting on. This goes for half the flogs in footy media.

The absolute media pile-on directed at a 21 year old bloke has been nothing short of putrid. By all the hysteria floating around you'd think he'd eaten Pharlaps heart then dropped a steamer into Ted Whitten's boots.

I have no doubt Ginni will grow as a player and as a human after this. He's a smart footy player who will push himself further next year.

After watching the game back you could definitely tell he was feeling the pressure and looked unnaturally fumbly.

He wasn't alone.
Weddle running the wings for nil result but our team at times lacked any form of composure.

Port were better. Their pressure was better early and they won.

The result had nothing to do with Ginni.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Jack Ginnivan!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back