Welcome to Hawthorn, Jack Saunders - Pick #4 2020 rookie draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Stats suggest he has had a good day at Box Hill, anyone with the eye test confirmation? Did see the run down the wing though, didn’t even look like he was out of second gear.

Yes he has been good, best game I’ve watched him play. Only knock would be he could tidy his disposal up to be more efficient and effective but that will come.
He is getting involved consistently now and showing his strengths. Used to flash in and out of games but he was consistent over 4 quarters today.

Yes he has been good, best game I’ve watched him play. Only knock would be he could tidy his disposal up to be more efficient and effective but that will come.
He is getting involved consistently now and showing his strengths. Used to flash in and out of games but he was consistent over 4 quarters today.
Also needs to be better in front of goal. I think that composure will come with time and experience.

Like his name sake, Mighty Mouse has an unteachable attack on the ball, that he excecutes despite what lays infront of him. His frame and tank are still works in progress but the killer instinct is why we gave Dyl Moore that one last year on the rookie list to prove himself and look what happened. Saunders plays like he gives a shit even in the games when he can't manage to touch the ball.

Moore played Box Hill footy to varying degrees of quality for all of 2018 and 2019, the Moore we know and love now really played for the first time at the very end of 2020 against the Suns. He had played 9 games before that but was playing forward pocket and hardly showed anything.

Persisting with Saunders is a no brainer for mine, easier to teach people who care how to be better footballers than teach great footballers how to care.

Jack Saunders (25 disposals, 11 marks)

“Jack continued his excellent late season form, playing mainly as a high half forward and a little bit on the wing as well. He was able to gather 25 touches and have a really strong influence on the game, especially in the forward half for us. He also took 11 marks, so he was starting up a lot of plays for us. He had a fair few shots on goal and finished with one goal. We were really happy with how he performed this game.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's Mitchell's first season so we're not really sure how he goes about this....

But it used to be a bit of a thing to give young players reward for a good/improving season in the final round. It shows them a spot is there for the taking, whets the appetite for summer/training and often gives a bit of learning about the level required.

Think he's done enough of late to earn a call up. Only difficulty is giving retiring players a game and if others are ahead in the BH pecking order in terms of performance (such as McDonald).

Two ticks recently for MM being his tackle count and his possession count. Also getting regular shots at goal. Def tracking in the right direction.

I hope to see him debut this week. The reservation is that the polish isn't there yet with ball use and it will cost us at the top level if he doesn't use it well so prepare for some pain. But would be good to see how his running power translates at the top level as he has now shown it is a level above VFL.

In a couple of seasons he is a really nice prospect. He isn't strong enough to break tackles yet but he does have this appetite in his game so when he ends up with the strength he will be another line breaker and goal kicker. Some of his pressure acts are ridiculous - some incredible smothers at VFL that others can only dream of.

Don't think his ceiling is particularly high. Not expecting him on the list next year.

I cannot not see him being on our list next year!
Not sure how you rate a ceiling of a player?
A lot of that has to do with how much the individual is prepared to work on his game and this is only a feeling but I think Jack has the work ethic to go to another level?
But I have been wrong plenty of times!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

How many times do you have to say it, you don’t throw away pace.

And the fact we have a kid from a rookie list still improving and pushing to make his debut should be exciting not contemplating if he will be on the list next year.

Ceilings are only found when players stop developing/improving, if your a hard worker that can extend till your 30 generally speaking, just look at Ricky Henderson

Saunders is the one player that the Box Hill reviews continuously suggest is trending upwards.

Not sure how people can be so adamant that he’s not got a future.

Saunders is the one player that the Box Hill reviews continuously suggest is trending upwards.

Not sure how people can be so adamant that he’s not got a future.
Agree, every Box Hill game I've watched this year he has really stood out to me. May not always get the most possessions but is always pressuring and using his speed to create drive/momentum when he does get it.

Agree, every Box Hill game I've watched this year he has really stood out to me. May not always get the most possessions but is always pressuring and using his speed to create drive/momentum when he does get it.
agree too... Saunders always impressive and developing at an awesome rate in the last 4-5 weeks. its been great to see. I think his composure in F50 will improve with games - especially at the next level. Give him a run this week I say and watch him bring things others currently are not. Things that we really need! Real speed with offensive and defensive gusto across all 4 quarters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to Hawthorn, Jack Saunders - Pick #4 2020 rookie draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back