News Welcome to Hawthorn Jon Patton : Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Less on other players and more talk on the man in focus optimists, please get back on track in regards to convincing me we've recruited a 26 year old Tom Hawkins.

Less on other players and more talk on the man in focus optimists, please get back on track in regards to convincing me we've recruited a 26 year old Tom Hawkins.

Is that a good or bad comparison? Surely pattons previous work stands alone

We've recruited a 26 year old Jon Patton, not Tom Hawkins. Don't know what trade period you were watching.

Nash the 197cm small forward, I don't quite see that happening. We have Patton, Lewis and Gunston. I though O'Brien was great up forward near the end of last year but the fact he was doing some defensive stuff today at training has me confused. Anyway we can't fit Patton, Lewis, Gunston, O'Brian and Nash all in the same forward line. God help us when Ross starts banging at the door to get a senior gig.

On Redmi Note 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hawks to buck the trend again........all tall marking forwards

Man he's gonna make you eat your dumb words so good...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

50 goal season and top 5 in contested marks ?
I'm more thinking that he/Lewis will be recognised as the premier CHF/FF combo & that he'll bring structure & opportunity for others around him.

I think 50 goals is very realistic, but I'd be just as happy to see the likes of Popeye, TO'B & Nash all kick 20-30 goals for the season, partially the result of Patton dragging oppo zones apart & giving these guys favorable match-ups.

Also, I'm really keen to see what having him at FF does for our midfield. Even sh*t teams like North run forward quickly knowing Ben Brown is at FF & they can roost it high/long & still end with a favourable outcome. Geelong the same with Hawkins. They know that a straight, high 60m bomb will (at worst) end in a 50/50 contest.

We've not had that since Hale retired & it's forced us to be measured into attack. This has further hampered the game of Popeye & Breust, who live off the chaos & indecision of defenders.

In the first half of 2019 (I reckon we knew we had Patton) we started playing like we had a KPF: unfortunately, we didn't - we had Popeye - but at least we started getting the mids used to the idea of kicking long to FF. Then Lewis came on & TO'B got some latitude & we were heaps better.

Imagine getting Mitchell back, a fit Wingard as a mid, a dynamic 2m CHF in Lewis, then adding a 2m monster at FF, leaving TO'B on a mismatched BP & Breust/Popeye/Nash to hit the packs (& opponents) at pace...

We're gonna smash teams!

So yeah, I can't give you his 2020 numbers - I'll just be happy with the Flag.

Again while all the other teams are copying Richmond and going quick and small, Clarkson is raging against the machine and going with the Land of the giants it will be interesting to see
Yeah funny hey. He pretty much creates the crazy small pressure forward nutso game plan and then finds something to combat it

**** you comp

I'd say richmond went to a dual tall setup last year. We will want to see Lewis be our Jack and Patton our lynch. Gunston is our caddy and the rest our small fleet. Only difference i see is that we might have a resting ruck in there too if they aren't on the bench but if we deem fit we could just as easily have BB at CHB (which i don't like but we have seen clarko is willing to do if the match calls for it).

So while there are differences to 2019 Richmond, i would say that we aren't unique in this. There are also other teams that never bothered going small and did well (west coast & gws as an example).

I'm thinking of Patton as a forward ruck who wont ruck much. Then its not so radical.

I daresay it Patton wanted to ruck, they GWS would have found some money to keep him. Also not Ideal for someone whos had knee issues.

Last edited:
Exciting times if the pre-season hype is true. I want to believe as much as anyone. But they all look a million bucks during the pre-season.

i just hope he stays on the park. We don't need his previous best. We just needs his hands and presence to draw the best opposition back, so that Lewis and TOB both get off the chain (those two will monster 2nd and 3rd defenders all year if Patton does that).

Imagine taking the Tom Hawkins comparison as an insult. For crying out loud, if Patton becomes a forward of Hawkins calibre for us then we'd be laughing. Some posters are absolutely delusional.

No one will ever be as funny as Hawkins.

The fat bastard!

Imagine taking the Tom Hawkins comparison as an insult. For crying out loud, if Patton becomes a forward of Hawkins calibre for us then we'd be laughing. Some posters are absolutely delusional.

Hatred really does obscure ones ability to be objective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back