News Welcome to Hawthorn Jon Patton : Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to believe all this has been posted in the “Welcome to Hawthorn” thread. It’s time to put some perspective into this. What he’s allegedly done is pretty poor form and he needs to/will be held accountable...by club sanctions and trial by social media. But I don’t think he will or should be sacked.

I wonder if everyone would be calling for his head if it was Worpel? Or Mitchell? Or Day? To me, it looks like we have a new whipping boy
Whipping boy?? Yeah cause posters who find this type of behaviour disgusting are only angry because he is a whipping boy.

Geez.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Hard to believe all this has been posted in the “Welcome to Hawthorn” thread. It’s time to put some perspective into this. What he’s allegedly done is pretty poor form and he needs to/will be held accountable...by club sanctions and trial by social media. But I don’t think he will or should be sacked.

I wonder if everyone would be calling for his head if it was Worpel? Or Mitchell? Or Day? To me, it looks like we have a new whipping boy
What absolute crap.

No, they were part of the initial issue but for some reason against its own knowledge the club have tried to portray it another way. He wasn’t in tears on one perspective complaint, he should own the issue as should the club. Deal with it in what is the most appropriate manner and move forward.
Two more women have come forward saying they have received rubbish from JP

If the police bring charges against him then he is gone. I’d say he will be lucky to survive this regardless. Women coming forward to the media generally leads to only one outcome.
If there are charges, then you’re right. He’s cooked

Whipping boy?? Yeah cause posters who find this type of behaviour disgusting are only angry because he is a whipping boy.

Geez.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
I would say most people find this type of behaviour disgusting, but I don’t think it’s a tear up the contract situation. That feels like an over reaction.

That being said if the police are involved and charges are laid, then he’s gone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being put on the front page (prior to being found guilty) of the Sunday paper is a massive penalty. No consideration for mental health from the Herald Sun.
Trump incites riots and a policeman is killed, mutant strain of COVID hits Australia, a lot of massive stories in the world currently that would be front page anywhere else in the world.

If this occurred at any workplace, and you were the boss at said workplace, how would you act?

A random female has provided you and your management team with evidence that one of your male staff had sent explicit pictures, unwanted explicit pictures, to her. I'd like to think there would be mechanisms in place to deal with a one off, internally, hoping like hell it was a one off, said male showed remorse, apologised etc.

It's disgraceful for this to be happening and it should never happen. The boss should be front and centre of this.

Now you as the boss become aware that it isn't a one off, there are multiple complainants and a pattern of behaviour is developing. Nothing is really done except to try to placate said female/s and the broader community even as the media pick up the story. Now how do you deal with it? Is it the same as what the HFC are doing or do you make a stand, show the broader community this is not acceptable, show your members/stakeholders you have conviction to live by the motto your company lives and breaths by, show support to all the females employed by your company and any in the future considering being employed?

I'm at a loss at the lack of comment from the club. Our club, the family club. It makes me feel sick.

And I've got two daughters who will grow up with such ease and accessibility within these apps where knobs like JP and others have the opportunity to randomly prey on and abuse them. Long gone are the days of the subtle art of conversation

If this occurred at any workplace, and you were the boss at said workplace, how would you act?

A random female has provided you and your management team with evidence that one of your male staff had sent explicit pictures, unwanted explicit pictures, to her. I'd like to think there would be mechanisms in place to deal with a one off, internally, hoping like hell it was a one off, said male showed remorse, apologised etc.

It's disgraceful for this to be happening and it should never happen. The boss should be front and centre of this.

Now you as the boss become aware that it isn't a one off, there are multiple complainants and a pattern of behaviour is developing. Nothing is really done except to try to placate said female/s and the broader community even as the media pick up the story. Now how do you deal with it? Is it the same as what the HFC are doing or do you make a stand, show the broader community this is not acceptable, show your members/stakeholders you have conviction to live by the motto your company lives and breaths by, show support to all the females employed by your company and any in the future considering being employed?

I'm at a loss at the lack of comment from the club. Our club, the family club. It makes me feel sick.

And I've got two daughters who will grow up with such ease and accessibility within these apps where knobs like JP and others have the opportunity to randomly prey on and abuse them. Long gone are the days of the subtle art of conversation
It has not occurred at a workplace. It’s totally disgusting and not good but the public reporting prior to an investigation and a verdict being given is way over the top.

Nathan Broad has gone on to win 3 premierships with the Tigers. He posted "lewd" images of a woman without her consent. Surely Patton survives this, regardless of whatever argument you wanna mount.

It has not occurred at a workplace. It’s totally disgusting and not good but the public reporting prior to an investigation and a verdict being given is way over the top.
Its a really good point. Its not a workplace matter. Would think there would be some sort of standard clause in player contracts dealing with behaviour however. Wonder if this covers any out of season incidents or not.

I'm at a loss at the lack of comment from the club.
They've said all they need to so far. What the club thinks of the accused behaviour (against it), and the immediate action it is taking (investigating).

They need to gather all the facts - or wait for the police to do so if they're involved - before potentially taking action against Patton or making further statements. It's too delicate to rush. If they go guns blazing too early (eg. terminate his contract) and then some mitigating information comes to light afterwards, whatever that could be, then there's no going back and it potentially opens the club/AFL to a lawsuit.

The club has provided comment

Being put on the front page (prior to being found guilty) of the Sunday paper is a massive penalty. No consideration for mental health from the Herald Sun.
Trump incites riots and a policeman is killed, mutant strain of COVID hits Australia, a lot of massive stories in the world currently that would be front page anywhere else in the world.

I actually find it refreshing. Comedy (America in this case) doesn't ever really make the front page and we're all collectively over COVID, mutant strain or not.

To be honest most employers would not have grounds to do anything as the behaviour is wholly unrelated to the workplace. In most work places only criminal charges could bring it into relevance.

Footy is different though given specific contractual clauses permit clubs to discipline or terminate players for off field actions that are unrelated to their work. The more I hear of this, the more I think we should be terminating. It’s not a case of him going over the top with flirting on one occasion. He’s a repeat offender who clearly gets off on making women uncomfortable. Bin him

Nathan Broad has gone on to win 3 premierships with the Tigers. He posted "lewd" images of a woman without her consent. Surely Patton survives this, regardless of whatever argument you wanna mount.

Different scenario though. Broad simply had a 'yay, boobs!' moment and broke the trust of his 'friend' by sharing her image she obviously contested to taking. Crummy but not the worst thing that's ever happened.

Patton is accused of sending aggressive messages with naked photos of himself (and this is a whole other argument) some argue is 'digital rape' due to it's unwanted nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back