Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Josh Battle

Remove this Banner Ad

We Got Him GIF

Getting real Gibbo coming over from Norf in 2010 vibes from this news.

Seriously how good will our backline be next year? It was very good this year and then you add Battle and Barras into the mix with Scrimmers entering his prime, Sicily still the best in the business, Hardwick, Impey coming off a career best year, etc.

It's the kind of backline that will get your very far into September is what I'm thinking.

Seriously how good will our backline be next year? It was very good this year and then you add Battle and Barras into the mix with Scrimmers entering his prime, Sicily still the best in the business, Hardwick, Impey coming off a career best year, etc.

It's the kind of backline that will get your very far into September is what I'm thinking.

Don't forget that Frosty is coming off his best year also, and Blanck will be coming back on day 1 of pre-season as well.

The only negative I can think of is that McCabe's development might be delayed a little because it will be so hard to grab a spot in the seniors...

Things are looking good for 2025.

Welcome Josh!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gibbo was also top 5 in the B&F before coming to Hawthorn

Honestly, through most of the year I've been vocally pretty ambivalent towards Battle - but our form at the end of the season opened up a lot of possibilities. Quite a few of the players I felt he wasn't really an improvement on in our defensive unit showed a lot in other roles.

Moving Weddle up the ground and replacing him with someone from the VFL means you're losing a fair bit to gain a bit, with Battle in we can move Weddle up the ground without losing anything. It also gives us more flexibility to use Sic further up the ground.

Battle is a solid, manful defender with really good skills. Doesn't make too many errors, doesn't get beaten too often. Most importantly, he's another player we've got with great versatility. Plays tall, small, mobile - and along with Scrim and Frost there aren't too many rotations you'd be worried about him taking.

Welcome to the club!

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Josh Battle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back