Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

Might be a controversial take, but in a low disposal game I really liked a lot of his touches today. Was clean with the ball, used it well - and importantly, kicked it long when he had it.

Small steps.
Backed himself in and drove his legs, used his pace, clean and skills. Just needs to get more involved overall.

Type of player that could have easily had 30 touches today. Always seemed to be around where the ball was but just doesn't seem to demand it. That's his next step I reckon, finding the confidence to want the ball in his hands as much as possible. Mackenzie too.

Really good game though. Spot is safe for next week I reckon.

No you’re wrong here. He’s slow off the mark. Nothing wrong with that but he needs to find other ways to impact. Big off season of tackling and sprint work coming up.
He’s not slow bro 😂

Every other comment made by myself and others has been around him looking zippy and quick, backing himself in.

You’re clearly wrong and watching the wrong player.

He’s not slow bro 😂

Every other comment made by myself and others has been around him looking zippy and quick, backing himself in.

You’re clearly wrong and watching the wrong player.
I don't think he's slow either. But I think what the poster is saying is he's not using his pace around stopage. I think he's got all the tools, he's just having a year of growth. He uses his pace better at boxhill. Just needs to learn to apply it to the seniors. As I said before I think it will come. Josh doesn't seem like the character to die wondering.

It is also worth noting he has had games at senior level where he has used his pace really well. I think he's just trying to put it all together. Being in and out wouldn't help. But it allows him to really work on his midfield craft in the 2s. We can't expect to see immediate translation first game back.

10 touches in that game was 15 in any other. Would be curious to know if that went close to a record in modern footy for lowest amount of possessions per players. Strange stat to explain, but only 9 players had 20+ and the max was only 24.

Thought he looked really solid yesterday.

I was stoked that Wardy and Harry Morrison got to take a post-game selfie with the group.

Watched blindfolded or something?

I understand you're one of his biggest fans and think he will be a star, which I hope you're right. But watching him his athleticism and speed aren't great, aerobically he is and he's a very quick decision maker , so he looks like a very neat and tidy player.

Thought he had a real solid game, made some good decisions, looked a little off the pace at times , but more positives than negatives in his contribution I would have thought

Thought he had a real solid game, made some good decisions, looked a little off the pace at times , but more positives than negatives in his contribution I would have thought
does anyone have the 1% stats for the game. Ward seemed to have a lot of smothers and 'hands in' to foil freo's go forward at times.

Thought it was a smart move by the selection panel to bring in another mid, and Ward acquitted himself well. Hope he can build from yesterdays performance, find a bit more of the pill and show us what he's capable of in coming weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

does anyone have the 1% stats for the game. Ward seemed to have a lot of smothers and 'hands in' to foil freo's go forward at times.
This was what stood out to me. He didn’t light up the disposals column, but he was constantly involved.

6th most pressure acts for us.

10 touches in that game was 15 in any other. Would be curious to know if that went close to a record in modern footy for lowest amount of possessions per players. Strange stat to explain, but only 9 players had 20+ and the max was only 24.

Thought he looked really solid yesterday.

I was stoked that Wardy and Harry Morrison got to take a post-game selfie with the group.

The ball was pinging around between the arcs a whole lot in the first half. It was a very low possession game.

I don't think he's slow either. But I think what the poster is saying is he's not using his pace around stopage. I think he's got all the tools, he's just having a year of growth. He uses his pace better at boxhill. Just needs to learn to apply it to the seniors. As I said before I think it will come. Josh doesn't seem like the character to die wondering.

It is also worth noting he has had games at senior level where he has used his pace really well. I think he's just trying to put it all together. Being in and out wouldn't help. But it allows him to really work on his midfield craft in the 2s. We can't expect to see immediate translation first game back.
That’s not what he is saying, he’s saying he is slow.

His game Saturday showed his pace a lot more than previous afl games and translated more of his vfl form.

It has been about him backing himself rather than a physical or talent capacity.

I understand you're one of his biggest fans and think he will be a star, which I hope you're right. But watching him his athleticism and speed aren't great, aerobically he is and he's a very quick decision maker , so he looks like a very neat and tidy player.
His speed is good and athletically with his tank he is strong.

Just wrong.

You only need to do 5 good/decisive things with the ball each game to have a good performance.

Most disposals are just pass the parcel types doing the most obvious next thing with little impact.

Played wing for a big portion, but also rotated inside with 7 CBAs. Played the link up winger role and sweeper a fair amount.
Glad to see him get a run in mid.
Really love seeing this guy getting his time in senior side. Hope his days at Box Hill are for the most part behind him.

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back