Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Massimo D'Ambrosio

Remove this Banner Ad

Still absolutely no idea why we let this guy slip through our fingers by putting a late 1 year deal on the table for him. You'd expect Hawthorn only had to offer him 2 years on peanuts to get him as well.
Seems like a bit of a fumble, his deficiencies aren't apparent in our system either. Would say maybe he benifits from our system but you guys have a pretty attacking brand yourselves.

Seems like a bit of a fumble, his deficiencies aren't apparent in our system either. Would say maybe he benifits from our system but you guys have a pretty attacking brand yourselves.

His reported deficiencies were around ball watching, being slow to transition from offence to defence and just general kick chasing.

Tbh I don’t get to enough games anymore and may not even have the capacity to judge these issues if I did.

My issue with letting him go was he had clear AFL strengths and is still in the infancy of his career so why couldn’t he improve in those areas.

Scott does seem to favour taller more defensive focussed wingman (Durham, Duursma, Kelly) but he’s just so clearly been an AFL standard player it seems crazy to effectively push him out the door. I mean every team can probably name 5 guys on their list that have very little chance of having an AFL career why not retain Massimo.

Haven’t had a gift from you blokes in a while, thank you 🤩

Salmon
Pick 9 for Willo
Mass

They are up there with Norf as our trade bunnies.

Not really. We are far more defensive now than in previous years.

His deficiencies were well highlighted and were an issue that was keeping him behind others as he is not tall enough or good enough defensively to play as a wing in Scott's system and he would have been behind Martin and Redman as a half back playmaker.

I would have loved to keep him and trial him as a forward and Essendon were clearly happy to as well as they offered him a deal.

Mass was offered more security and more guaranteed gametime at the Hawks so I can't fault him for leaving and wish him success.

His deficiencies were well highlighted and were an issue that was keeping him behind others as he is not tall enough or good enough defensively to play as a wing in Scott's system and he would have been behind Martin and Redman as a half back playmaker.

I would have loved to keep him and trial him as a forward and Essendon were clearly happy to as well as they offered him a deal.

Mass was offered more security and more guaranteed gametime at the Hawks so I can't fault him for leaving and wish him success.
Can't say I've noticed any issue with Mass regarding ball watching or transitions at Hawthorn. He may have improved or maybe the system suits him more. I don't think on current form it's so clear cut re his spot at Essendon but we will never know.

Giving up a good AFL player for peanuts is a fumble. I am receptive to arguments that is not currently affecting us on field but it doesn’t change the fact it’s a fumble imo

You had pick 9. Essendon gave up pick 16 for Williams and pick 24 (also upgraded our 42 to 33 but that’s fairly minor)

Still a loss as Williams turned out be negative value but not sure it’s overly notable.

It wasn't so bad. You get to have a lifetime of Jay Nash highlights.

Nice one…

Crazy that Carlisle and Burgoyne retired in the same year

You win some you lose some.

To be fair to Jay Nash I thought he was great ball in hand. It's just a shame he was pretty crap at everything else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Giving up a good AFL player for peanuts is a fumble. I am receptive to arguments that is not currently affecting us on field but it doesn’t change the fact it’s a fumble imo

To be fair, sometimes players don't fit into the system, are good players but have players ahead of them or are not reaching their potential through their own fault or the coach is not getting the best out of them.

Hawthorn lost Garry Ablett Snr and Josh Kennedy. These things happen. Hindsight is 20/20.

Salmon
Pick 9 for Willo
Mass

They are up there with Norf as our trade bunnies.
dodoro GIF by AFL

Recruiting Hind and thinking he's a star.

Shipping off Massimo for a bag a chips.

Aren't we all so lucky Dodoro stuck around for one last hurrah 😂
There's nothing Dodo could've done about Mass wanting to leave. AFL rules state that a 2nd year rookie not accepting a further rookie contract will be considered a Delisted Free Agent and therefore will becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent. The funny thing at the time is that Dodo apparently had no idea of the rule when he was in the middle of playing hardball. This was compounded by the fact that the * only offered him a 1year deal 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Massimo D'Ambrosio

Remove this Banner Ad

Back