Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

How the hell did 4 umpires miss the head contact. Umpiring is in great shape apparently.
What's more concerning is the amount if fans (and commentators) who believe incidental contact is not a free kick.
If incidental contact wasn't a free, there'd be 1 free kick per game.

It's not suspendable (we'll these days it is), but it's definitely a free

Will never forget him kicking the winner against the handbaggers a few years ago.....
I hate Geelong with a passion
bur honestly the term handbaggers hasn’t been relevant to Geelong for a very long long time. Not sure why it’s still been used constantly to describe one of the best run teams in the last 15-20 years

If it’s only weeks why didn’t we do an operation originally and not rest, he would be better by now.
His recent injury was related to cartilage behind his knee cap. Nothing to do with ligaments.

If he has now done a medial ligament (MCL) on the inside of the knee then that’s a typically 4 - 8 week recovery depending on the severity.

Similar time out can occur with a lateral ligament (LCL - outside of the knee) strain / tear.

The anterior cruciate (ACL) as most would know is the bad (12 mth) one.

The posterior cruciate (PCL) is what Mitch injured in the middle of 2022, which is often a 4 - 6 month recovery time.

So in order of severity it’s usually MCL and LCL 4-8 weeks, PCL 4-6 months, ACL 12 months.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I the only one who thinks Lewis looks a little underdeveloped in his lower body?

Compared to say Newk, Meek or even Scaife he looks quite slender in his quads/buttocks area.

I have no idea if that's related to his constant knee injuries but for such a big guy I feel his physique is a little out of proportion (guys with strong cores/lower body's usually seem to be very resilient). I'd like to see them back off his cardio a bit (he's naturally gifted runner anyway) and really look at building a powerful body that can withstand the rigours of AFL.

Really though the poor guy has had some bloody rotten luck. Getting simultaneously whacked in the head / almost concussed causing him to lose his balance and buckle his knee is just atrocious luck. He's had an absolutely torrid couple of seasons now.

His recent injury was related to cartilage behind his knee cap. Nothing to do with ligaments.

If he has now done a medial ligament (MCL) on the inside of the knee then that’s a typically 4 - 8 week recovery depending on the severity.

Similar time out can occur with a lateral ligament (LCL - outside of the knee) strain / tear.

The anterior cruciate (ACL) as most would know is the bad (12 mth) one.

The posterior cruciate (PCL) is what Mitch injured in the middle of 2022, which is often a 4 - 6 month recovery time.

So in order of severity it’s usually MCL and LCL 4-8 weeks, PCL 4-6 months, ACL 12 months.
My opinion is that sometimes it takes going through a few doctors to get the right diagnosis.

If it’s only weeks why didn’t we do an operation originally and not rest, he would be better by now.
Because his original issue isn’t an MCL? He buckled under himself. The original was a fluid injury behind his knee cap, no structural damage and was fine once they sorted it.

Horrible run of injuries for him, his such a what if player. Has the club managed him poorly this year? His second to the ball at every contest and can’t run out full strides like of old… maybe Lewis needs to change the way he plays, short leadup and become a 120kg power forward, but it means we have to hold a true key forward that can’t defend. (You can only hold one of these players and but can net 50 goals a year)

Unfortunate year now and I’m not sure the club has managed it that well.

Hopefully the saving grace here is he can get his body right over the off season. Club should be sending a please explain to the afl and the head collision with Lewis, such a joke.

Horrible run of injuries for him, his such a what if player. Has the club managed him poorly this year? His second to the ball at every contest and can’t run out full strides like of old… maybe Lewis needs to change the way he plays, short leadup and become a 120kg power forward, but it means we have to hold a true key forward that can’t defend. (You can only hold one of these players and but can net 50 goals a year)

Unfortunate year now and I’m not sure the club has managed it that well.

Hopefully the saving grace here is he can get his body right over the off season. Club should be sending a please explain to the afl and the head collision with Lewis, such a joke.
Huh? 🤨

He was leading fine, one occasion i remember was Henry marking infront, not at “every” contest.

Also saw him lead up to Seamus, burnt his man and had 5-10m on him, only for it to get kicked over his head by metres..

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back