Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson!

Remove this Banner Ad

At training now, Sam Mitchell working with him on set shots. Not running out to the right as much but still shanking a fewView attachment 2026427
i hope there is always someone on the mark when training kicking for goal.... be almost pointless (pardon the pun) otherwise. We can see he is a good kick on the run (yesterday: his good long straight kick down the wing etc)

i hope there is always someone on the mark when training kicking for goal.... be almost pointless (pardon the pun) otherwise. We can see he is a good kick on the run (yesterday: his good long straight kick down the wing etc)
I think he just needs a better process for the "get extra distance" kick. Running around to the right, but focusing on getting better contact.

I like what i am seeing. Tangible, in-season adjustments

When he does run out to the side it’s always late in the run up which means he’s then kicking around the body and hooking his shot dramatically.

If he’s going to run out to the side that late he might as well take advantage of the stand rule and take an extra step to straighten back up properly and kick straight.

The snap across the body technique promotes an attitude of indifference to goalkicking.

Snap shots are intended for difficult angles only.

Using them for anything else removes the responsibility on the player to kick straight, bc snap shots imply that the shit is difficultt.

So you see players just whack it on the boot and rarely ever dismayed at missing, unlike when they use a drop punt.

It’s a massive cop out and I’m stunned we haven’t seen coaches rule them out for all but the most acute angles.

Any more than 15-20m out and 1-2m from the boundary line and you’re kicking a drop punt son.
yes and his technique doesn't look great when he does them either... Jack Reiwoldt picked up a few technique issues in the coverage of the Tigers match.

When he does run out to the side it’s always late in the run up which means he’s then kicking around the body and hooking his shot dramatically.

If he’s going to run out to the side that late he might as well take advantage of the stand rule and take an extra step to straighten back up properly and kick straight.
I have often wondered why excellent field kicks don't simply treat their shots at goal like field kicks. With the stand rule it is perfectly viable. Just run down your line like you are running down the wing.

The snap across the body technique promotes an attitude of indifference to goalkicking.

Snap shots are intended for difficult angles only.

Using them for anything else removes the responsibility on the player to kick straight, bc snap shots imply that the shit is difficultt.

So you see players just whack it on the boot and rarely ever dismayed at missing, unlike when they use a drop punt.

It’s a massive cop out and I’m stunned we haven’t seen coaches rule them out for all but the most acute angles.

Any more than 15-20m out and 1-2m from the boundary line and you’re kicking a drop punt son.
I don't agree with this at all, while i don't like the snap all the time it is a comfort things. Some players feel more comfortable kicking them as they have the entire belly of the ball and feel more confident in making clean contact.

I think trying to analyse the mentality of players is impossible and assuming it is just as a cop out is unfair.

Stand rule only holds until you leave the line over the mark.
If he goes early and gradual, then the other defenders waiting to the side will fly in to attempt to spoil.
Reckon he's trying to avoid that knowing he doesn't have a super long leg, so can't afford to let fly too far back off the mark or the ball won't make it.
It's hard, nothing gets you mocked harder on the field than not making the goal line from 40-45m out and think he's trying to avoid that by compensating with the bigger swoopy wind up.
Needs to chat to Gunners who never gave a toss in his sharpshooting hey day how high they went through the goals posts or how many rows back.
All you need to do is clear the goal line Watto, just trust yourself.

Stand rule only holds until you leave the line over the mark.
If he goes early and gradual, then the other defenders waiting to the side will fly in to attempt to spoil.
Reckon he's trying to avoid that knowing he doesn't have a super long leg, so can't afford to let fly too far back off the mark or the ball won't make it.
It's hard, nothing gets you mocked harder on the field than not making the goal line from 40-45m out and think he's trying to avoid that by compensating with the bigger swoopy wind up.
Needs to chat to Gunners who never gave a toss in his sharpshooting hey day how high they went through the goals posts or how many rows back.
All you need to do is clear the goal line Watto, just trust yourself.
It's stand until the umpire calls play on which is usually delayed a second anyway. Defenders can risk giving away a 50 if they try to anticipate the play on too.

I don't think it would be a sustainable tactic anyway as umpires would start anticipating it themselves so they can call play on quick enough for defenders to move in.

I only said it because at the moment when he does run out to the side he is doing it late in the run up and then missing anyway. So if he's going to run out to the side like that he might as well use his burst of speed and agility to take the extra step to straighten back up and take the kick with his hips facing goal.

I don't agree with this at all, while i don't like the snap all the time it is a comfort things. Some players feel more comfortable kicking them as they have the entire belly of the ball and feel more confident in making clean contact.

I think trying to analyse the mentality of players is impossible and assuming it is just as a cop out is unfair.

I don’t give two shits about their feelings of comfort. I want results.

I’d back a player who knows how to kick a straight drop point to be more accurate with a snap shot than one who can’t kick a drop punt to save himself. Eg Gunston, Breust, Chol, hardwick.

If you can’t control the connection with the ball landing on your foot with a drop punt I don’t like your chances with a snap shot either.

Skill issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mackenzie too. Just a really clean set-shot action.

Not last year.
Probably the worst set shot routine I've ever seen.

Just goes to show how quickly these kids can learn and turn things around.

Wiz is doing all the hard stuff at a near elite or elite level. Just needs to nail the easiest part.

I’d back a player who knows how to kick a straight drop point to be more accurate with a snap shot than one who can’t kick a drop punt to save himself. Eg Gunston, Breust, Chol, hardwick.

If you can’t control the connection with the ball landing on your foot with a drop punt I don’t like your chances with a snap shot either.

Skill issue.
It might be and I agree it’s a skill issue, but you aren’t them.

I’d rather a player kick a ball the way they feel most comfortable. It worked perfectly fine for Stevie j.

Skill issue.
Peter Hudson couldn't kick a drop punt to save his life

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Skill issue.
Lol mate take a chill pill "I want results". Players will kick the ball in a way they feel most comfortable and kicking around the corner has become a modern-day thing. They practice it at training. You can say they need more practice sure but not what you're suggesting

Paul Salmon couldn't climb a tree either.

It's important to understand what Watson is good (exceptional) at and find a way to best utilise it in our team.

IMO Watson's issues all stem from the lack of depth/penetration in his kicking. He's getting shots 35-40m out, which means he is kicking 45 over a man on the mark. At his stature, it would feel like he's kicking over Sandilands every time.

He's not getting far enough back from the mark so kicks with too much elevation. His method of overcoming that seems to be to run around the man on the mark and kicking 'beside' the man on the mark, kicking off his instep for extra distance.

We don't train that way, but I'd love for ALL of our players to practice kicking over the man on the mark - perhaps someone with the ruck bag on their shoulders to simulate the height factor.

It might be and I agree it’s a skill issue, but you aren’t them.

I’d rather a player kick a ball the way they feel most comfortable. It worked perfectly fine for Stevie j.

I don’t think it’s right to take two all-time greats who used different techniques , as examples for all. It’s a strange thing to bring up in argument tbh.

Players who can execute an accurate drop punt shot at goal will have more success w a snap shot than those who can’t.

Richardson and others were permitted to do whatever they felt comfortable with and they remained terrible kicks for goal throughout their careers.

Buddy is one of the rare players who mostly retained his flawed technique w minor adjustments and did quite well.

Kicking for goal is a very straightforward technique that anybody can learn.

There are very few exceptions to this (Manson from collingwood back in the day as an example was beyond redemption lol).

Lol mate take a chill pill "I want results". Players will kick the ball in a way they feel most comfortable and kicking around the corner has become a modern-day thing. They practice it at training. You can say they need more practice sure but not what you're suggesting

Much more room for error w snap shots and the results speak for themselves.

It’s a crutch.
Time to cut it out.
I hope we’re the first club to take a stand.

Will have fun at the Shittery. Guaranteed to be the most hated Hawk after this match. They’ll be throwing their handbags at him as the team bus drives off whilst he shushes them with his big grin. His mate Ginny sitting next to him too busy to notice taking instas.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Will have fun at the Shittery. Guaranteed to be the most hated Hawk after this match. They’ll be throwing their handbags at him as the team bus drives off whilst he shushes them with his big grin. His mate Ginny sitting next to him too busy to notice taking instas.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Mate, he'll be shushing the crowd as he's walking them in and icing the game.

Not last year.
Probably the worst set shot routine I've ever seen.

Just goes to show how quickly these kids can learn and turn things around.

Wiz is doing all the hard stuff at a near elite or elite level. Just needs to nail the easiest part.
Nash. It will always be young Connor Nash.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back