• 3pm to 3:10 pm - There will be a short outage on the site at 3pm AEST (2:30 C; 1 W) for about 10 minutes. Post in this thread with any issues.

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Consider this about the Wizard’s a amazing work rate.

He’s standing next to Newc when he gets the ball - and Newc handballs to Amon who kicks forward.

Amon kicks to the boundary and the Wizz takes the diving mark on the line (to then slot his magic goal).
How in hell’s did he cover that ground so quickly!!!
He is really going to be an extraordinary footballer.
Noticed that too - his work rate is super.

Hopefully kicking a sealer like that gives him some confidence in his goal kicking too, because in every other facet of the game he is doing well

I really hope the coaching staff let him know that he's now saved a game and sealed one. Two massive moments so early in his career and he's passed with flying colours.

Toby Greene II

I really hope the coaching staff let him know that he's now saved a game and sealed one. Two massive moments so early in his career and he's passed with flying colours.

Something tells me that the last thing Watto lacks, though, is confidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reminds me of Hayden Ballantyne. Has a great career ahead of him and takes good players minds off of the ball.
Yep, I said that when he was drafted. He's a billionaire's Ballantyne.

I hope we don’t see him snap a set shot again. Great game. Just keeps building. I’m not looking for a “break out” per se - just continuously incrementally improving. He’ll keep on improving.

The rest of the league already hate him
The view of opposition fans is irrelevant. Opinions are largely based on highlight packages & footy show commentary. No doubt he gets a free kick or two because of his height, but just like Mike Tyson, he's using it to his advantage. It's incumbent on opponents to negate this. The kid punches well above his weight. His defensive pressure, drive, work rate & selflessness are just as impressive as his forward craft. I doubt that other fans acknowledge this. So stoked he's ours & they're already fretting over him. Jealousy's a curse.

Last edited:
The rest of the league already hate him 😭
revenge of the sith GIF by Star Wars

He's already got a bit of a reputation as a ducker and milker of free kicks. He won't shake that now.

On this board he certainly does. Personally would prefer we simply highlight how good he does things.
Let the others worry about whatever they want to sook about.
It's ALWAYS been this way at Hawthorn.

The view of opposition fans is irrelevant. Opinions are largely based on highlight packages & footy show commentary. No doubt he gets a free kick or two because of his height, but just like Mike Tyson, he's using it to his advantage. It's incumbent on opponents to negate this. The kid punches well above his weight. His defensive pressure, drive, work rate & selflessness are just as impressive as his forward craft. I doubt that other fans acknowledge this. So stoked he's ours & they're already fretting over him. Jealousy's a curse.

It's not the fans I'm worried about. They have little/no influence on the game. The issue is the commentators are clearly holding him (and all Hawthorn smalls for that matter) to a far higher standard, such that every high free kick is apparently a duck/stage/"put some mayo on it", etc. The media, and then opposition fans follow, then the umpires (who themselves are probably football fans, maybe even watch games other than their own) will develop unconscious bias against him. (Even worse, when the umpire coach uses real-life examples focusing on Moore, Ginnivan, Watson - even Bruest - we get a conscious bias too.

It's a vicious circle, and he's already well into it's spin.

It's probably too late to want fair umpiring, but if he wants to avoid being actively persecuted for it he needs to stop all methods of drawing free kicks now. (His favourite appears to be to lean into the tackler - which generates a high infringement and should be a free kick every time. When he combines that move with the other tactics (the elbow raise; the bent knee/footslip; and then throwing his head back and legs out on impact) he is already exaggerating every contact - giving the commentators 'evidence' of the mayo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back