Welcome to Hawthorn Pick 19: Ryan Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Err.. well , that’s difficult though. Port want a future pick but so do GC , I thought I already explain this. Plus , gws are looking at our future second as well, so GW has to roll up the sleeves.
Lovell will get us a future pick
As will Dureya
As will Miles

Not sure but hope you’re right and even then we have a problem.
Both gws and port are seeking our future picks in the first two rounds to get it done. We gonna take a while to get through some red tape it seems.
My understanding was the same. When it comes to trading future picks you're allowed to either trade your future 1st, OR any amount of your remaining futures outside of the first round.

You then require approval from the AFL to go outside of that. So I imagine they'd probably let you trade your future 1st and future 2nd if you were also bringing in another future 3rd or using your current year 1st rounder (or multiple thereof) in the draft.

The rule is essentially there to stop clubs trading away everything from next year and then not having any real access to draftees.

Hey guys sorry for the intrusion, curious as to why Hawthorn would want to trade away a potential young star? If this trade does fall through does this divide the locker room in a way?

Hey guys sorry for the intrusion, curious as to why Hawthorn would want to trade away a potential young star? If this trade does fall through does this divide the locker room in a way?
Port want more than pick 15. We don’t wanna give up future first.
Pick 15+ Burton is imo, fair but overs at the same time. Meaning we’ll be looking to get something back in draft from them.
As for locker room division? I don’t buy into that, this is a professional business and players would know the club will do everything in its power to improve the list.

we are scratching our head too BD

Professional players and clubs so can't see a divide.

However, if Burton stays, he will try and extract top dollar from us on next contract or move on, I dare say (and who would blame him!).

He will need to bust a gut next two year though to get his value up, so still works out for hawks.

However, if Burton stays, he will try and extract top dollar from us on next contract or move on, I dare say (and who would blame him!).

He will need to bust a gut next two year though to get his value up, so still works out for hawks.

not sure (if) we've been professional enough in this situation... ive conceded he is gone which is disappointing because he is loyal, loves the club & i thought that was reciprocated.

He'll be right. Nothing a few Hawk premierships can't fix.

You think he's a young star ?

As I have posted elsewhere, Burton is a likely 200 gamer. At the moment is a promising half back flanker but not as promising or exciting as Sicily or Hardwick who play similar roles (Sicily for his intercept marking, pace and kicking and Hardwick for his contested work and hardness).

Can Burton be more than a classy half back? He’s not a KPP, not a contested marker or hard ball winner. Some fans talk about him moving to midfield but I don’t see it. I’d think Hardwick more likely as a midfielder due to his contested work. Could Burton be a classy forward? Yes, but he has not shown that yet.

Wingard has shown himself capable of being a top 20 player in the comp. players of his talent are rare. Clarkson’s record with players of his talent is supreme

It’s not a matter of Hawthorn wanting to trade Burton. Of course the club would rather keep him. It’s a matter of Hawthorn (and in particular Clarkson) really wanting Wingard and being prepared to trade a promising player to get him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I have posted elsewhere, Burton is a likely 200 gamer. At the moment is a promising half back flanker but not as promising or exciting as Sicily or Hardwick who play similar roles (Sicily for his intercept marking, pace and kicking and Hardwick for his contested work and hardness).

Can Burton be more than a classy half back? He’s not a KPP, not a contested marker or hard ball winner. Some fans talk about him moving to midfield but I don’t see it. I’d think Hardwick more likely as a midfielder due to his contested work. Could Burton be a classy forward? Yes, but he has not shown that yet.

Wingard has shown himself capable of being a top 20 player in the comp. players of his talent are rare. Clarkson’s record with players of his talent is supreme

It’s not a matter of Hawthorn wanting to trade Burton. Of course the club would rather keep him. It’s a matter of Hawthorn (and in particular Clarkson) really wanting Wingard and being prepared to trade a promising player to get him.
Very well said. Gotta be ruthless. I am not as upset as others about potentially losing Burton. Preference is def to keep him but don't quite think he can get to where others think he might.

Struggling to see why the club gave him #5 then came 2nd in rising star but suddenly don’t rate him.

Perhaps rate him, but rate Wingard higher. Even if not talent wise, perhaps they have cover for Burtons role, but not Wingards.

I’m sure the club and the footy sub committee have thought this through

Great Post.

I agree with all said. I was hopeful that he could be shifted forward or improve his hardness in defence. Definitely no chance in the midfield.

I think he'll be a 200 game player but never reach the heights of all-Australian. I think the trade is reasonable (I would obviously prefer to keep him) - just hope it doesn't upset the group.

To give the young man #5 and move him on two years later as a contracted player doesn't bode well for the ethos of the family club. As big a fan of Wingard as i am, it's a massive gamble. Unless of course we redraft him in two years time, Croady style.

To give the young man #5 and move him on two years later as a contracted player doesn't bode well for the ethos of the family club. As big a fan of Wingard as i am, it's a massive gamble. Unless of course we redraft him in two years time, Croady style.
Well I suppose he was given number 5... we should've read the signs.

I'm still hoping that young man will say hell no, and stay with us.

As highly as I rate Chad, I wouldn't be gutted if it broke the deal..

Going to miss Burto, I've pretty much conceded he's going to be part of the deal. I really rate Chad but next 5 years we are going to need peak Wingard to justify this trade if it indeed does involve our 1st rounder also. I do hope that Burto just remains a quality back flanker and nothing more for the rest of his career though now it must be said.

The only way I’ll be semi-ok with losing Burton is if we manage to land all 3 of Scully, Wingard and Scrimshaw.

I feel he’ll have a Sicily-like breakout year in either 2019 or 2020 and just become a genuine gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back