List Mgmt. Welcome to Hawthorn recruiter Mark Finnigan?

Remove this Banner Ad

Norths issue is absolutely down to coaching and development.

They went from Brad Scott who only wanted to play the veterans while they were still in a window.

Rhyce Shaw who I never thought was the correct option. He also had to deal with the Covid drama and skeleton coaching staff.

Then Noble who just looks like the wrong man to coach and develop kids.

Just for a second, imagine LDU, Tarryn Thomas, Tom Powell, Will Phillips, JHF, Ben McKay, Nick Larkey, Jy Simpkin and Tristan Xerri developing under Clarko and/or Sam Mitchell.

We've made great players and stars out of Morrison, Moore, Kosi, Jiath, Hardwick, Sicily and Lewis just to name a few.

Everything I have read and heard on the North recruiters leaving tells me that they felt completely undermined by others within the club, who tried to throw shade at them for decisions that were taken out of their hands.

There was strong implications in the Code sports article that suggests that the recruiting team were of the opinion that they followed the strategy, but any draft miss was laid at their feet, rather than the club as a whole looking at the reasons for why that player might not have developed, or could have been the wrong pick.

“We succeed together and we fail together” seems to be foreign to North, and that was the crux of the issue.

Finnigan sounds like he had a few clubs who were knocking on his door due to his experience and name in the industry, so I’m pretty happy to get him across to fill the spot that Nathan Foley left when our recruiting group is quite young.

Norths issue is absolutely down to coaching and development.

They went from Brad Scott who only wanted to play the veterans while they were still in a window.

Rhyce Shaw who I never thought was the correct option. He also had to deal with the Covid drama and skeleton coaching staff.

Then Noble who just looks like the wrong man to coach and develop kids.

Just for a second, imagine LDU, Tarryn Thomas, Tom Powell, Will Phillips, JHF, Ben McKay, Nick Larkey, Jy Simpkin and Tristan Xerri developing under Clarko and/or Sam Mitchell.

We've made great players and stars out of Morrison, Moore, Kosi, Jiath, Hardwick, Sicily and Lewis just to name a few.

In fairness to Noble and co - LDU has taken a step forward, he's a gun. Simpkin is a gun.

Larkey is a quality KPF.

Ben McKay is quality, but has had a rough run with injuries.

Xerri has looked good when he has played.

Will Phillips has been sick all season.

The only player on that list that has not taken a step forward in his development is Thomas.

In fairness to Noble and co - LDU has taken a step forward, he's a gun. Simpkin is a gun.

Larkey is a quality KPF.

Ben McKay is quality, but has had a rough run with injuries.

Xerri has looked good when he has played.

Will Phillips has been sick all season.

The only player on that list that has not taken a step forward in his development is Thomas.
JHF has been there best contested possession winner and equal highest clearance winner.

It’s not a talent problem with them it’s a development problem.

In my eyes LDU has stalled, he’s very talented but north can’t get the required improvement out of him.

Even Simpkin has gone backwards slightly this year and his disposal has been terrible. With the talent on their list starting to come into a good age they should be improving, they are going backwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back