Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Rory Atkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Is he the type of persons we want providing direction to our young players? Is he really going to fast track anyone’s development?
Get a decent coach, or a player with some sort of Port DNA, if we want direction and development.

By adding a number of established players at SANFL level the likelihood the team is more competitive is exponential.

That is going to be far better for any young kid's development compared to some of the absolute crap we have seen the Magpies dish up in recent years.

I don't know of his personality so I can't comment. Always thought he was a prick based.on watching him at the Crows but I have no idea what his actual personality is.

Why did we have to ‘accept a deal’ in the first place? He was contracted? Why were we so eager to just throw that out the window? Why did we not hold him to his contract. If he sooked it up, so be it- that’s his own funeral.

They wanted to get into this draft - that's what it boils down to. That, and the fact his position is one which is very easy to plug in anyone half competent and they'll do a pretty good job. I mean Burgoyne went down back for his first game there in months against Hawthorn in the finals and was BOG. Between Farrell, Sinn, Evans, Burton and Burgoyne I don't think there's going to be this massive drop off where the half back line is exposed game after game.

That doesn't mean I would have done the deal though.

Going forward they'll probably trade a few picks and end up with something like 4 picks inside the top 35 and if they can hit on a few of those players the list will be in good shape going forward.

If the quality of this year's draft was comparable to next year's, I don't think they would have done this deal.

By adding a number of established players at SANFL level the likelihood the team is more competitive is exponential.

That is going to be far better for any young kid's development compared to some of the absolute crap we have seen the Magpies dish up in recent years.

I don't know of his personality so I can't comment. Always thought he was a prick based.on watching him at the Crows but I have no idea what his actual personality is.

They wanted to get into this draft - that's what it boils down to. That, and the fact his position is one which is very easy to plug in anyone half competent and they'll do a pretty good job. I mean Burgoyne went down back for his first game there in months against Hawthorn in the finals and was BOG. Between Farrell, Sinn, Evans, Burton and Burgoyne I don't think there's going to be this massive drop off where the half back line is exposed game after game.

Going forward they'll probably trade a few picks and end up with something like 4 picks inside the top 35 and if they can hit on a few of those players the list will be in good shape going forward.

If the quality of this year's draft was comparable to next year's, I don't think they would have done this deal.
Blah blah blah blah

How would you feel, shafted by GC with no input and no warning, then sent to a club who you hated and where you are hated. Take the money I suppose, but thats the other side of pro sport.
Atkins has to agree to move.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had an “oh ****” moment today when I realised that all the talk about him being a pretty clever bloke means he’s probably been brought in to eventually coach the Port Magpies once he retires from playing. **** my life…

His name is Rory, played for the crows, wound the port crowd up, hasnt played even semi-decent footy for what 5 years, will take a list spot of someone more deserving, is being paid decent money for someone who has no right being near the AFL team, is renowned as one of the softest players in the game, couldnt get a game for a club that has been near bottom of the ladder their entire existence, his club (with a 3 time premiership coach) was is in own our own recruiters words "happy for him to leave". I'm sure there are more reasons.

Genuinely think if you did a poll prior to trade season who is the least likely player you want us to trade in, i think this bloke would be near the top of the list....and if he wasnt its because either A)people had forgotten he was still in the AFL or B) there is literally not 1 single reason why we would pick him up so no-one would even nominate him.

it truly is one the most remarkable recruits in the history of AFL. (and clearly i am not using remarkable in a positive context).
I’ll take that as a no from you?

Poor guy could walk around Gold Coast and no one would have a clue who he is. Comes back to Adelaide and is pounced on at the airport by 7 news.

Fool's gold.

I actually feel sorry for him. Poor guy is the butt of all jokes and has walked into a shit storm.

There's nothing against him. He probably even knows he's just a salary dump, but the heat on him and the confidence denting humiliation he's copping would be hard for anyone to take.

Ultimately it's not his fault. He's just a ridiculous trade given the value we weren't granted from him being included.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Rory Atkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back