Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Rory Atkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Black Smiling GIF

His name is Rory, played for the crows, wound the port crowd up, hasnt played even semi-decent footy for what 5 years, will take a list spot of someone more deserving, is being paid decent money for someone who has no right being near the AFL team, is renowned as one of the softest players in the game, couldnt get a game for a club that has been near bottom of the ladder their entire existence, his club (with a 3 time premiership coach) was is in own our own recruiters words "happy for him to leave". I'm sure there are more reasons.

Genuinely think if you did a poll prior to trade season who is the least likely player you want us to trade in, i think this bloke would be near the top of the list....and if he wasnt its because either A)people had forgotten he was still in the AFL or B) there is literally not 1 single reason why we would pick him up so no-one would even nominate him.

it truly is one the most remarkable recruits in the history of AFL. (and clearly i am not using remarkable in a positive context).
“His name is Rory” being the first thing you mentioned is so funny to me, and I completely agree 😭

Unpopular take: I actually have no issues bringing Rat in. My issue is only with the overall deal. If you go back and take a look at Rat's VFL year, it's actually quite strong in terms of him getting the ball. There's no denial that he's a handy addition to the SANFL and yes, this is not a first 22 move so let's not worry about. I think it's a stretch that he'd be playing AFL unless injuries hit us hard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unpopular take: I actually have no issues bringing Rat in. My issue is only with the overall deal. If you go back and take a look at Rat's VFL year, it's actually quite strong in terms of him getting the ball. There's no denial that he's a handy addition to the SANFL and yes, this is not a first 22 move so let's not worry about. I think it's a stretch that he'd be playing AFL unless injuries hit us hard
We are here to win AFL games not to strengthen our SANFL team.

The Magpies team is all about developing players to play at the highest level possible and Atkins has had his chance.

Atkins is a list clogger and we are paying 400k out of our salary cap for this spud to play in the SANFL all year. We would be better off giving that list spot to a kid to see if they can make it at AFL level similar to what happened to Logan Evans.

The decision to pick up Atkins is a disgrace.

There's 800 and something afl players.

I'd pick the 800 and something-th best player outside of the afl before this plod.

And at 400k?

Another atrocity from this club to hang up on the wall of shame.
We'll probably be $400K short in the Sack Hinkley fund and be forced to keep him on after an 0-5 start, only for us to stage a limp dick recovery to 10th at season's end and give him a contract extension because, you know, he wasn't responsible for the first 5 games.

2 questions.

1. Would we have got Perryman if we had offered him the Atkins $$?

2. Who will we miss as a free agent next year because we are not banking the Atkins $$?

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Given Atkins is only on a one year deal, that would have raised the Perryman contract by 80k/year on average. That wouldn't have moved the needle.

We can rightly shit on Cripps and CD for trade management etc, but their cap situation is one of the best in the league. This deal is not going to cost them going forward in the slightest with respect to cap room for future free agents.

We are here to win AFL games not to strengthen our SANFL team.

The Magpies team is all about developing players to play at the highest level possible and Atkins has had his chance.

Atkins is a list clogger and we are paying 400k out of our salary cap for this spud to play in the SANFL all year. We would be better off giving that list spot to a kid to see if they can make it at AFL level similar to what happened to Logan Evans.

The decision to pick up Atkins is a disgrace.

Would you have preferred to not pick up Atkins and instead not have pick 29 included in the Houston deal? Because that was what was on offer.

Port have so many young players playing SANFL and have no direction on field as a result. They need all the experience they can get to help fast track some of the young players' development.

If they even consider playing him at AFL level unless there are injuries and he's the last one standing, they're idiots.

He had 4 contested possessions for the tear at afl level. 8 kick ins. 23 uncontested possessions. Somehow this adds up to 37 disposals.

Anyway 1.33 contested possessions a game!

Mostly played as the loose quarterback/general role in the uh ahem vfl "highlights" package I saw. Kick the ball backwards and he was there where no one else was. Shit kick forward and he would get the uncontested possession back on the turnover from the turnover of his own kick. Ultimate supercoach get.

Would you have preferred to not pick up Atkins and instead not have pick 29 included in the Houston deal? Because that was what was on offer.

Port have so many young players playing SANFL and have no direction on field as a result. They need all the experience they can get to help fast track some of the young players' development.

If they even consider playing him at AFL level unless there are injuries and he's the last one standing, they're idiots.
Is he the type of persons we want providing direction to our young players? Is he really going to fast track anyone’s development?
Get a decent coach, or a player with some sort of Port DNA, if we want direction and development.

I would have preferred the club not to accept the deal at all.

Why did we have to ‘accept a deal’ in the first place? He was contracted? Why were we so eager to just throw that out the window? Why did we not hold him to his contract. If he sooked it up, so be it- that’s his own funeral.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Rory Atkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back