Wellingham - Traded to West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh wow. How about you give us Schuey and Natanui and we'll spot you later?
you realize Natanui barracked for the Pies as a kid growing up and I'm sure Shuey has another team over east he barracked for, how ever unless they want to go no point pushing required players no ?

You do realize that for the last 5 years, Geelong could only offer 4 time All Australian Corey Enright, $350 k / year and Joey Corey $300 k / year?

You aren't very smart are you?

oh really, i beieve we do have a billion dollar tv rights deal. 350k 5 years ago aint same as 300k today buddy. you arent very smart, are you?

Yes I know. I never said they weren't, just that you phrased them in the most inflationary way you could. A "first round pick" is ambiguous in defining any concise value. You could have chosen to say pick 17, which would have, but instead chose the other way. Scotland winning a B&F in an injury riddled year nigh on 10 years after he was traded inflates what he was at the relevant time - a fringe player not required by Collingwood. You're usually a fairly reasonable poster, so I think you know what you did, no point discussing it any further.

And re Scotland, it was a good couple of years before he started to put it together at Carlton.

As I've said before, fair enough on the Stevens trade. You weren't under any obligation to trade; he wasn't your player. I know Stevens was annoyed that you courted him but refused to budge on what was an unders offer and Port wanted to make a statement to other players and clubs that it wasn't going to be forced into trades. But at the time Didak seemed like an evens trade and offering that pick and a fringe player wasn't. No point rewriting history now.

Being completely honest, first round pick plus "your B&F" wasn't meant to sound that inflationary.. in 2012 everybody would have done that deal in hindsight if they were Port. In 2003, it's in the eye of the beholder as to whether Port should have made the deal.. I have no idea what our Plan B offer was, b/c I don't think it was ever made public. Didak for Stevens was never going to happen, given that Didak was younger and had been a very high draft pick whom we were waiting to see blossom. Stevens was a decent player, but history shows we made the right call.

I haven't heard anything about Nick's reaction after-the-event.. if Port says "Didak or nothing", it's kinda hard to negotiate. He still came back to Melbourne, which I always understood to be at least half the battle. From our perspective, pick 17 plus Scotland was neither perceived to be a lowball offer, nor meant to deliberately antagonise Port- it was the highest pick we owned, it just seemed like a logical offer. If we had pick 11 instead of pick 17, then I'm guessing the offer would have been pick 11 plus Scotland. It's my honest opinion that Scotland has had a better career at Carlton than Stevens did, although that's in the eye of the beholder too. We couldn't get the Stevens deal done, we moved on- there's no real point in us trying to re-write history regarding the non-deal b/c Didak worked out bigger picture for us.

We genuinely didn't believe we were making an unfair offer or grandstanding/holding something in reserve at the time. Maybe there was a perception at the time that we were being bastards, but history has borne out that the perception might have been unfounded. Sometimes we're perceived as bastards because we're Collingwood- it's something we hear a lot.

Nope. Club happy to see the back of Davis but knew the Swans were getting a talented player and wanted more for him. Williams, wasn't required either, but that doesn't mean he was going to get delisted either.

Let me get this straight

So we didn't want Williams at a time when we we a mid range side? And after just missing out on winning a flag we were happy to see the back of a Talented player in Davis? Doesn't sound right. Both wanted to go one because he wanted a fresh start and the other who wanted to go back to family. How did we stand in their way? They both got to the home they wanted with little fuss. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong.

oh really, i beieve we do have a billion dollar tv rights deal. 350k 5 years ago aint same as 300k today buddy. you arent very smart, are you?

What does a $ billion TV rights deal have to do with Corey Enright getting paid $350 k in the 2012 season? Do you think Corey Enright is not worth a 1st Rd pick or has very low trade value to Geelong because they can only offer him $350 k / season?

You don't understand the point that players within successful sides and with multiple A Graders have to accept less to stay within a successful side than they can in an open market? The value that the club can offer is less than on an open market and has nothing to do how much that club values him.

& I thought SA was a backwater. Woooweee.

What does a $ billion TV rights deal have to do with Corey Enright getting paid $350 k in the 2012 season? Do you think Corey Enright is not worth a 1st Rd pick or has very low trade value to Geelong because they can only offer him $350 k / season?

You don't understand the point that players within successful sides and with multiple A Graders have to accept less to stay within a successful side than they can in an open market? The value that the club can offer is less than on an open market and has nothing to do how much that club values him.

& I thought SA was a backwater. Woooweee.
Yet Wellingham is on the open market and the market has determined his worth as being similar to what Collingwood is paying. 300-350k player is not worth a first round pick+.

Did we? i thought we were within the rules, so did the AFL, Ball nominated his salary and nominated his contract lengh like he was required to do, he wasn't required to attend medicals if he didn't want to, let the grown ups speak.

Other clubs such as Melbourne were interested in Ball, but he refused to talk to them.

That, along with putting a price on his head, made him look unattractive to any other club that may of had thoughts of picking him up.

He wanted to get to Collingwood, and he made sure he got there.

The AFL would never penalise Collingwood for draft tampering due to Eddie's influence.

And Tarrant simply didn't care, he was happy to call it a day if he didn't get to Collingwood.

Tarrant threatened to retire if any other club picked him up in the draft.

Smells like draft tampering to me.

You should look at it through both eyes without the black and white glasses on.

Stats below say Wellingham will be West Coast's best midfielder next year. Played as a permanent forward this year and almost matched D Kerr (West Coast best player) in every major stat lol. For me the trade should look like this: Wellingham in exchange for D Kerr & pick 17 or no deal, pies will be more than happy to keep him if they don't get a worthy draft pick. Pick 17 is a bargain for Wellingham. The ham would be very handy for West Coast as their current midfield group is average at best.
Sharrod Wellingham Name Daniel Kerr
Collingwood Magpies Team West Coast Eagles
Midfield Position Midfield
92 Career Games 210
Perth Origin East Fremantle
July 7, 1988 Date of Birth May 16, 1983
24yr 2mth Age 29yr 4mth
185cm Height 178cm
85kg Weight 80kg
2006 Rookie Draft Last Drafted In 2000 National Draft
Round 1, Pick #10 Last Draft Position Round 2, Pick #18
Collingwood Magpies Last Drafted By West Coast Eagles
2012 Stats for Season 2012
20 Games 24
11.6 Kicks Per Game 12.1
7.6 Handballs Per Game 10.9
19.2 Disposals Per Game 23.0
4.4 Marks Per Game 2.3
0.6 Goals Per Game 0.5
0.6 Behinds Per Game 0.3
4.4 Tackles Per Game 2.2
0.1 Hitouts Per Game 0
3.4 Inside 50s Per Game 2.9
0.6 Goal Assists Per Game 0.3
0.6 Frees For Per Game 1.5
1.0 Frees Against Per Game 1.0
8.3 Contested Possessions Per Game 11.8
11.3 Uncontested Possessions Per Game 11.3
12.1 Effective Disposals Per Game 15.2
63% Effective Disposals % Per Game 66.1%
2.2 Clangers Per Game 2.5
0.9 Contested Marks Per Game 0.2
0.6 Marks Inside 50 Per Game 0.2
2.8 Clearances Per Game 5.4
1.1 Rebound 50s Per Game 1.6
1.4 One Percenters Per Game 1.5
0.2 Bounces Per Game 0.6
83.7 Time On Ground % Per Game 78.6
$393,200 Dream Team Price $382,300
83.0 Dream Team Score Per Game 76.0
$380,600 Supercoach Price $494,500
81.8 Supercoach Score Per Game 91.4

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stats below say Wellingham will be West Coast's best midfielder next year. Played as a permanent forward this year and almost matched D Kerr (West Coast best player) in every major stat lol. For me the trade should look like this: Wellingham in exchange for D Kerr & pick 17 or no deal, pies will be more than happy to keep him if they don't get a worthy draft pick. Pick 17 is a bargain for Wellingham. The ham would be very handy for West Coast as their current midfield group is average at best.

Cant tell if serious or not.

Stats below say Wellingham will be West Coast's best midfielder next year. Played as a permanent forward this year and almost matched D Kerr (West Coast best player) in every major stat lol. For me the trade should look like this: Wellingham in exchange for D Kerr & pick 17 or no deal, pies will be more than happy to keep him if they don't get a worthy draft pick. Pick 17 is a bargain for Wellingham.
No they don't and no he isn't.

Scott Selwood was our best midfielder this year and he also won our club B&F. Cox though would probably be our best player.

Daniel Kerr is capable of the best football from our mids but oscillates between quiet and excellent games.

WC also play a very different style through the middle than Collingwood, an efficient not a high possession game style.

Wellingham would be behind Scooter, Priddis, Gaff, Shuey and Kerr. Heck probably even Masten.

BTW, I think you should keep him.

Sharrod Wellingham Name Daniel Kerr
Collingwood Magpies Team West Coast Eagles
Midfield Position Midfield
92 Career Games 210
Perth Origin East Fremantle
July 7, 1988 Date of Birth May 16, 1983
24yr 2mth Age 29yr 4mth
185cm Height 178cm
85kg Weight 80kg
2006 Rookie Draft Last Drafted In 2000 National Draft
Round 1, Pick #10 Last Draft Position Round 2, Pick #18
Collingwood Magpies Last Drafted By West Coast Eagles
2012 Stats for Season 2012
20 Games 24
11.6 Kicks Per Game 12.1
7.6 Handballs Per Game 10.9
19.2 Disposals Per Game 23.0
4.4 Marks Per Game 2.3
0.6 Goals Per Game 0.5
0.6 Behinds Per Game 0.3
4.4 Tackles Per Game 2.2
0.1 Hitouts Per Game 0
3.4 Inside 50s Per Game 2.9
0.6 Goal Assists Per Game 0.3
0.6 Frees For Per Game 1.5
1.0 Frees Against Per Game 1.0
8.3 Contested Possessions Per Game 11.8
11.3 Uncontested Possessions Per Game 11.3
12.1 Effective Disposals Per Game 15.2
63% Effective Disposals % Per Game 66.1%
2.2 Clangers Per Game 2.5
0.9 Contested Marks Per Game 0.2
0.6 Marks Inside 50 Per Game 0.2
2.8 Clearances Per Game 5.4
1.1 Rebound 50s Per Game 1.6
1.4 One Percenters Per Game 1.5
0.2 Bounces Per Game 0.6
83.7 Time On Ground % Per Game 78.6
$393,200 Dream Team Price $382,300
83.0 Dream Team Score Per Game 76.0
$380,600 Supercoach Price $494,500
81.8 Supercoach Score Per Game 91.4

Lots of work, impressive.
Did Wellingham get the hard tag or did he go to Swan, Pendlebury, Beams ...

Not denigrating Wellingham.

Statistics, damned lies & statistics ...

Didnt Wellingham decide to leave the Pies, decide to go home, then go looking for a club, just like Leon Davis did this time last year.
Couldnt find a club, played WAFL - is Wellingham worth more than Leon?
Who is hunting: its the guys who are turning their back on the Lexus/Westpac Centre.

As for Leon, I thought the Pies failed to replace him adequately in 2012.:oops:

But Wellingham has found a club. Davis didnt.

No comparison.

The master of huff & puff is at it again, laying down the law to West Coast on Wellingham.

1. The guy has decided he doesnt want to continue at the Pies
2. The guy decides he wants to go home
3. The guy wants to join the Eagles

So far the Eagles arent players in the game.

Up steps Mr huff n puff, blah blah ....

Leon was AA when he went down the same path & played 2012 in the WAFL because neither AFL club had room for him.

Eddie needs to take a lead from the way Jolly got to the Pies, an absence of huff n puff.
Is it different when a player wants to leave the Pies?

The Eagles can play as hard as they chose Eddie.
It's the way Eddie does his business. Listen to him every day on the wireless and he's always having a sad about something. West Coast will need to give up something, what it is I don't know, but fair to say that Collingwood could settle for 3rd round + player or 2nd round. They'll want a first round pick, and they'll battle hard for it, but they won't get it.
Who do West Coast have on the fringes that Collingwood could work with and get something out of? Brown's name has been thrown up as a possible player for player trade. I don't see that happening at all, if not ever, unless Collingwood traded for him/

Remove this Banner Ad

Wellingham - Traded to West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back