Wellingham - Traded to West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Surprised he has never finished in the top 10 for the pies B & F.
The reality for Wellers is that his opportunities have been limited in a team boasting so many competent midfielders. On the few occasions that he has had opportunities he has performed very well. Hardly surprising he sees his best interests to be served by moving on.

Noone's saying you've shafted anyone...just that some clubs find it easier to trade and are a bit wary of others. Hasnt been easy for anyone to trade with Essendon for a long time now..so if one of our guys for instance wanted to go there at the moment we'd know its not going to be easy...but if it was Saints/Cats/Pies would be much easier.
Eddie just likes to wave an unloaded gun around when any of "his boys" are being targetted or up for a move. Likes to be involved in everything and doesnt mean much in the long term.

His mantra is that you're lucky to get to the Pies...you dont leave the Pies. Just continuing their tradition.

Given premierships are the name of the game, Eagles trades have seen more success than any other club, so when it comes to trades think Laidley at North, Clape at the Blues, Schofield at Port, Matty Connell twice at the Crows, Ball & Morton at Sydney ... not high profile names, premiership players all.

Interesting to see Eddie toning down the rhetoric, were the natives getting restless?
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/le...ys-eddie-mcguire/story-fnelctok-1226489823403

So we didn't want Williams at a time when we we a mid range side? And after just missing out on winning a flag we were happy to see the back of a Talented player in Davis? Doesn't sound right. Both wanted to go one because he wanted a fresh start and the other who wanted to go back to family. How did we stand in their way? They both got to the home they wanted with little fuss. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong.

I never said you did. In fact, on the contrary, I've said you were more than happy to trade them. In Williams case, Mick had taken over and was trying to round out his game, playing him in defense and what-not. Williams really was stagnating and wanted to move, and the Pies were happy to let him go. With what was offered, the trade went down very smoothly and worked out best for all parties.

What makes you think we didn't want Nick Davis? Nick Davis was a better player at Collingwood than at Sydney, if the infamous preliminary final performance is removed from the Sydney chapters of his biography. Nick was homesick, wanting to go home to mummy and daddy. We lost him for pick 28, which was an outrage.

Collingwood weren't sad to see the back of Davis. They thought he was a knobhead. What they were sad about was the fact he'd walk out them no matter what and that they had to settle for unders in the trade. They were in no position to be acting tough. Davis was already gonzo!

I guess that depends on whether you look at it from the perspective of the buying club or the selling club ;)

Absolutely! The club getting those picks would be laughing to Sunday. Which is why if Wellingham goes for under pick 20-25 someone should lose their job; history says it wouldn't be a smart move.

Stevens was a decent player, but history shows we made the right call ... We genuinely didn't believe we were making an unfair offer or grandstanding/holding something in reserve at the time.

Never said you didn't. Although Stevens was always a better player than Didak IMO. At the time, your offer really was considered pretty low and you wouldn't budge as much as Port wouldn't as I recall. Oh well, as I said, you were under no obligation to trade.

Collingwood weren't sad to see the back of Davis. They thought he was a knobhead. What they were sad about was the fact he'd walk out them no matter what and that they had to settle for unders in the trade. They were in no position to be acting tough. Davis was already gonzo!

Thinking a player is a knobhead is not motivation for wanting them gone. Travis Cloke is a knobhead too.

Davis was a required player. But he couldnt be talked into staying so a trade was reluctantly agreed to.

Absolutely! The club getting those picks would be laughing to Sunday. Which is why if Wellingham goes for under pick 20-25 someone should lose their job; history says it wouldn't be a smart move.

You say it wouldnt be a smart move and youre entitled to your opinion, but history says nothing of the sort.

Never said you didn't. Although Stevens was always a better player than Didak IMO. At the time, your offer really was considered pretty low and you wouldn't budge as much as Port wouldn't as I recall. Oh well, as I said, you were under no obligation to trade.

The offer was pick 17 and Heath Scotland or 17 and 35, Port wanted neither option.

Oh dear, you have NFI mate, let the grown ups speak.

Thinking a player is a knobhead is not motivation for wanting them gone. Travis Cloke is a knobhead too.

Davis was a required player. But he couldnt be talked into staying so a trade was reluctantly agreed to.

Nope. The club were over Nick Davis that's for sure. They'd gone down the path of talking him into staying the year before and had come to terms with the fact he wanted to leave and that he wasn't the best of blokes anyway. The only thing that was genuinely regretful for the Pies were Sydney not coming to the party re draft picks and Davis' subsequent threats to walk to the PSD.

So you think picking and choosing who you negotiate with is fair trading?

I have no issue with the club not wanting to trade Fev to Collingwood. We didn't try to dick anyone, or negotiate unfairly; we simply said from the outset that it wasn't an option.

And I'll say it again, the Blues have been one of the more fair and even traders in AFL over the last five years. We held held players or clubs over a barrel and not wanting to gift Fev to the old enemy doesn't compromise that statement anywhere like you hope it might.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The offer was pick 17 and Heath Scotland or 17 and 35, Port wanted neither option.

And rightly so. They were both rubbish offers and the Pies wouldn't budge to anything more reasonable. Just as Port pushed the Didak line.

You say it wouldnt be a smart move and youre entitled to your opinion, but history says nothing of the sort.

Sure it does. That list of players SOS put up - history - shows how trading such a high pick for mid-list players just doesn't yield great returns.

And I'll say it again, the Blues have been one of the more fair and even traders in AFL over the last five years. We held held players or clubs over a barrel and not wanting to gift Fev to the old enemy doesn't compromise that statement anywhere like you hope it might.

You have had nothing tradeworthy for so long that doing a deal is pretty easy. Other clubs dont mind giving Carlton good players because they know that they will finish their career at an unsuccesful club.

You need to compare it to the hit-miss ratios of top 20 draftees. And thats a lottery too.

Not gonna argue with you there; and each draft is different too. You've got to back your recruiters don't you though. This draft for example is meant to be reasonably decent, so given that list represents an exposed return rate that looks pretty poor, I'd take the draft route for sure before risking becoming another casualty on that list.

History shows Heath Scotland to be a very good offer. And you seem to fancy yourself as a historian

Yes. From a 10 year hindsight perspective, Scotland and pick 17 may have only been a little under, rather than the unfair offering it was deemed at the time.

Teams in the premiership window dont want to deal with clubs who have a chance of winning premierships. They are happy to deal with clubs who are not in that window.

More nice stories. I'm just struggling to see where this applies to reality though :oops:

Yes mate ... I get it. You overrate Wellingham. I think we all get it. Now move along!

You might as well go back to telling me how Jimmy Clement was better than Bruce Doull :oops:

Do WC-PA-Melb over-rate Wellers too? or do you know more about football than the people the employ to make those decisions? because i was under the impression you're only a BF flog who likes to pretend you're an expert like i do.

And my opinion on Clement-Doull was based on the modern game and it was based on each players best, not many defenders tore the AFL a new one like Clement did at his best, they actually had to change the rules to stop the guy FFS, but Doull obviously had the better career overall, but if i had to choose one at their best i'd take Clement, biased maybe, who cares.

I have no issue with the club not wanting to trade Fev to Collingwood. We didn't try to dick anyone, or negotiate unfairly; we simply said from the outset that it wasn't an option.

Why wasn't it an option? You traded him to Brisbane, and we hadn't even had the chance to put up an offer.

You weren't going to 'gift' him to us - that is why it is called a trade. :oops:

You also are more than happy to take your fair share of Collingwood people to Carlton recently - our club hasn't stopped you.

Yes. From a 10 year hindsight perspective, Scotland and pick 17 may have only been a little under, rather than the unfair offering it was deemed at the time.

Youre using hindsight with your other historical analyses.

Ted Richards wasnt a bad pick up iat about 20 either. Or Josh Kennedy in the 40's. Or Rhyce Shaw in the 40's.

Wellingham at about 20 is about in line with Richards, who wasnt rated at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wellingham - Traded to West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back