Opinion We're On The Right Path

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure if Dimma has taken us as far as he can go. He has been great developing our list and bringing in a group of coaches who are good teachers to work with the kids. What I am still dubious about is his game day coaching and strategy. I am watch with interest to see if he can redevelop his 'Hawthorn-style' game plan into something that will work in 2016. I'm giving him to the end of the year to see if I can see a new effective game plan.

Regardless being reactionary and sacking a coach half way through a season is always a poor strategy. If we do get rid of Dimma it should be at the end of the year and only if we have a better coach to replace him. I would be extremely disappointed if the club administration reacts to media and supporter pressure and make a emotive decision. The difference between our club now is that we are far more measured and planned. We need to make sure we do that with everything including our coach.

I still have faith Dimma will turn this around. We're not the media's puppets anymore so lets make an informed and planned decision with our coaches, list and coach either way.
Miles from nowhere guess I'll take my time oh yeah

Last night was a small step forward, instead of panicking and blowing any chance we had after the Swans surged back into the lead we dug deep and got the win by not throwing in the towel like many have suggested we do this season. No matter where we're placed on the ladder I never want to see my club give up. I want to see them always playing to win because at the end of the day what this game is all about is winning.

As it stands we're still in possession of a top 5 pick, we might end up winning enough games to drop down to a top 10 pick, as long as it happens like last night with young players playing in the side and stepping up at crucial moments we'll continue to move forward. As Hardwick said last night the group needs to build on last nights performance and have that as the standard they aim for each week in terms of effort and intensity.

Last night was a small step forward, instead of panicking and blowing any chance we had after the Swans surged back into the lead we dug deep and got the win by not throwing in the towel like many have suggested we do this season. No matter where we're placed on the ladder I never want to see my club give up. I want to see them always playing to win because at the end of the day what this game is all about is winning.

As it stands we're still in possession of a top 5 pick, we might end up winning enough games to drop down to a top 10 pick, as long as it happens like last night with young players playing in the side and stepping up at crucial moments we'll continue to move forward. As Hardwick said last night the group needs to build on last nights performance and have that as the standard they aim for each week in terms of effort and intensity.
So what exactly are you advocating, wins and a top 5 pick? Tanking with winning games?

So what exactly are you advocating, wins and a top 5 pick? Tanking with winning games?
I'm advocating playing our best side with a focus on youth and winning games, and taking what comes with it. If the kids are good enough to win games and we miss out on a top 5 pick then so be it. If we play the kids and end up with a top 5 pick then you take it and move on. Either way we can't lose.

Where we will lose out is if we start playing the older types and winning games, then we miss the chance to fast track the development of the kids.

A "winning" culture is very important long long term, tanking does long term damage to a club and a win like that with their backs against the wall against quality opposition does tremendous things for the kids in the team

A "winning" culture is very important long long term, tanking does long term damage to a club and a win like that with their backs against the wall against quality opposition does tremendous things for the kids in the team
Amazing what a little bit of belief can have on a player or group of players. People posted about guys like McBean and Elton being despondent because they haven't got a shot, imagine how despondent the players would be if we went about tanking for draft picks instead of trying to win every game we can. We're not a bad side, we're a side that has had injury problems and has been down on form. As I said earlier, last night was a small step forward as the likes of Short C.Ellis Menadue Lloyd Rioli even Griffiths learn about the level they need to play at to be able to compete with a genuine contender. Hopefully next week against Fremantle they can take that confidence and momentum into the game and give us a chance at 2 straight.

5 months ago I started this thread and with the season having ended for us just over a month ago and having had some time to reflect, I want to revisit my opinion.

First off let me say after a year of riding the Richmond rollercoaster, I can say that I still believe we're on the right path. Once our season officially died Hardwick did the right thing and played the kids and gave himself a chance to take a good look at who wants to be part of it and who doesn't. At seasons end we had Conca informed by the club that he would be shipped on, Vickery has all but left just waiting for Free Agency to open up so that it can be official. Lennon has spat the dummy after an injury riddled season saw him struggle for opportunity and a couple of others have also been moved on having either failed to take their chance or having come to the end of the road.

So this now gives us a good starting point to regenerate the list, we have pick 6 in our pocket and the above players moving on should give give us 2-3 second round picks as well. Then there is the Deledio rumor that just won't go away and should he depart for Geelong we should be getting something of quality back, ideally Deledio to Geelong, Motlop to Suns and Prestia to us would be perfect for mine. Maybe swapping some draft picks as well to even up the value of the trade a little. For mine a final deal of Deledio and 42 to Geelong, Motlop and 34 to Suns and Prestia and 27 to us.

We would then enter the draft with pick 6 & hopefully 4 second round picks. As I said an ideal platform to build from and with a new recruiting manager in play we'll hopefully make the most of it and nail the picks that we've invariably missed over the FJ journey. Add 5 top 40 picks to the list with the likes of Rioli Markov C.Ellis Menadue Drummond Short and Castagna from the last couple of drafts and we have a solid young group to put on the park around a solid core of Cotchin Martin Rance & Riewoldt. Not forgetting that we have a decent group below them that while down on form the most part this year were mainly involved in our finals campaigns the previous 3 years. If the likes of Houli (missed half a season) Grigg(top 5 B&F) B.Ellis(whipping boy this year but AA squad member 2 years ago) Vlastuin Lloyd Miles Edwards Griffiths and Astbury can get back to their best form and we can add the unseen Yarran and the quality of Prestia to the mix the team looks a lot better than it did for most of this year. If we could somehow snare Mitchell and maybe Nankervis who there are whispers about and the side improves again.

So that takes care of the on field side of things, off field Balme has come in to hopefully get the football department sorted out. Discount Dan will be relegated to doing what he does best and that is contracts, which will hopefully mean no more overpaying players who don't deserve it. As mentioned the recruiting department has been overhauled, the coaches box is going to be revamped with all new assistants and while some will be disappointed that Hardwick is still in charge I believe that there will be a marked change in game plan for us in 2017.

As I said in another thread, call me moronic if you want but as a Richmond fan it's our lot in life, regardless of what happens we jump on board and we ride the good and the bad each year and come back for more. So I urge my fellow Tigers, stop focusing on the negatives and get on board, the Dogs have just shown that any club can go from a rabble to the top very quickly if they are all pulling in the same direction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So on your basis, you can be shocking, have a bad year, but trade out a few first round picks and be on the right track!

Wouldn't that mean no matter what, were always on the right track?

Nice try. Nice try.

As you know I started this thread way before any of the recent developments happened with regards the list changes and off field changes so it's not like I'm jumping on board on a whim. As I said way back when I posted this thread we were going to have some rough times as we set about changing things and not sure the year could have got any tougher than it was. Since the season ended the changes we have made have been significant from an off field perspective. Most of the coaching panel gone, recruiting overhauled and fitness department tweaked. Now the list looks like undergoing a bit of a change as we'll be moving on a few underachievers and hopefully replacing them with players, who like the kids the Dogs brought in, can help turn things around.

Lets not forget in 2010 the Dogs were a top 4 side who fell short of making grand finals over the previous couple of years. A massive cleanout and change of attitude and they are premiers when every man and their dog were writing them off 2 years ago. As far as I'm concerned this is our equivalent moment, make the right calls like they did and get everyone pulling in the one direction and who knows.

5 months ago I started this thread and with the season having ended for us just over a month ago and having had some time to reflect, I want to revisit my opinion.

First off let me say after a year of riding the Richmond rollercoaster, I can say that I still believe we're on the right path. Once our season officially died Hardwick did the right thing and played the kids and gave himself a chance to take a good look at who wants to be part of it and who doesn't. At seasons end we had Conca informed by the club that he would be shipped on, Vickery has all but left just waiting for Free Agency to open up so that it can be official. Lennon has spat the dummy after an injury riddled season saw him struggle for opportunity and a couple of others have also been moved on having either failed to take their chance or having come to the end of the road.

So this now gives us a good starting point to regenerate the list, we have pick 6 in our pocket and the above players moving on should give give us 2-3 second round picks as well. Then there is the Deledio rumor that just won't go away and should he depart for Geelong we should be getting something of quality back, ideally Deledio to Geelong, Motlop to Suns and Prestia to us would be perfect for mine. Maybe swapping some draft picks as well to even up the value of the trade a little. For mine a final deal of Deledio and 42 to Geelong, Motlop and 34 to Suns and Prestia and 27 to us.

We would then enter the draft with pick 6 & hopefully 4 second round picks. As I said an ideal platform to build from and with a new recruiting manager in play we'll hopefully make the most of it and nail the picks that we've invariably missed over the FJ journey. Add 5 top 40 picks to the list with the likes of Rioli Markov C.Ellis Menadue Drummond Short and Castagna from the last couple of drafts and we have a solid young group to put on the park around a solid core of Cotchin Martin Rance & Riewoldt. Not forgetting that we have a decent group below them that while down on form the most part this year were mainly involved in our finals campaigns the previous 3 years. If the likes of Houli (missed half a season) Grigg(top 5 B&F) B.Ellis(whipping boy this year but AA squad member 2 years ago) Vlastuin Lloyd Miles Edwards Griffiths and Astbury can get back to their best form and we can add the unseen Yarran and the quality of Prestia to the mix the team looks a lot better than it did for most of this year. If we could somehow snare Mitchell and maybe Nankervis who there are whispers about and the side improves again.

So that takes care of the on field side of things, off field Balme has come in to hopefully get the football department sorted out. Discount Dan will be relegated to doing what he does best and that is contracts, which will hopefully mean no more overpaying players who don't deserve it. As mentioned the recruiting department has been overhauled, the coaches box is going to be revamped with all new assistants and while some will be disappointed that Hardwick is still in charge I believe that there will be a marked change in game plan for us in 2017.

As I said in another thread, call me moronic if you want but as a Richmond fan it's our lot in life, regardless of what happens we jump on board and we ride the good and the bad each year and come back for more. So I urge my fellow Tigers, stop focusing on the negatives and get on board, the Dogs have just shown that any club can go from a rabble to the top very quickly if they are all pulling in the same direction.
Moron.
Hey you said to say it!!

The only thing I don't get is why the Suns give us Prestia AND 27 when they get Motlop and 34 from Geelong.

Is Moltop worth more than Prestia?

Moron.
Hey you said to say it!!

The only thing I don't get is why the Suns give us Prestia AND 27 when they get Motlop and 34 from Geelong.

Is Moltop worth more than Prestia?
It's because we're giving up Deledio who is better than both and more important to Geelong

There's gold in them darn hills pardner!! Bwaahhaaahaaa all I needed was to read the first 19 words of the OP to understand the meaning of complete and utter delusion. 5 months ago you started this thread and seeing as the season ended a month ago etc. So let's get this straight limping across the line in R1 when if the tankers were on target we were ****ed followed by capitulating against a soon to be shit truck in the scum and losing on the last kick didn't convince you neither did getting our arses kicked by any top 8 side bar 1 game where stole it when they were shit. You still didn't think we were out of the running until a month ago ? Like really dude? I mean really? I have heard of brightsiders and looking at the posituves but I am seriously concerned about your sanity man. You seem to have lost all sense of reality which happens to people that are constantly facing disappointment and form this fictitious world to protect you from the crap

There's gold in them darn hills pardner!! Bwaahhaaahaaa all I needed was to read the first 19 words of the OP to understand the meaning of complete and utter delusion. 5 months ago you started this thread and seeing as the season ended a month ago etc. So let's get this straight limping across the line in R1 when if the tankers were on target we were stuffed followed by capitulating against a soon to be shit truck in the scum and losing on the last kick didn't convince you neither did getting our arses kicked by any top 8 side bar 1 game where stole it when they were shit. You still didn't think we were out of the running until a month ago ? Like really dude? I mean really? I have heard of brightsiders and looking at the posituves but I am seriously concerned about your sanity man. You seem to have lost all sense of reality which happens to people that are constantly facing disappointment and form this fictitious world to protect you from the crap
Comprehension not your strong point I said after 5 games our season was shot. However there was still 17 games to go meaning the actual season didn't finish until just on a month ago.

No mention of out of date and putrid gameplan, poor match day coaching, poor team selection, playing players out of position and playing favourites, having to keep the biggest nuffy coach in the comp because we can't afford to pay him out or admit we made a mistake.... But we have Balme so we are on the right track bbbbwaaaahh

Comparing us to the dogs is a joke, they had a coach that game in and dropped superstar players because they didn't work hard enough and didnt play the team way, they refused play a mature age ruck because he was a flig of a bloke even when they were struggling for height....

If Beverage was coaching the Tigers, Vickery wouldn't have played a senior game this year and B.Ellis would have won the VFL B and F.

Comprehension not your strong point I said after 5 games our season was shot. However there was still 17 games to go meaning the actual season didn't finish until just on a month ago.

You said our season was shot after 5 rounds however there were still 17 games left meaning the season didn't finish a month ago. Ok I get it now. You can see shit that normal humans are incapable of. How about this. The season ended with R23 however we have the trade period starting soon and the next season will start next year. How about that?

No mention of out of date and putrid gameplan, poor match day coaching, poor team selection, playing players out of position and playing favourites, having to keep the biggest nuffy coach in the comp because we can't afford to pay him out or admit we made a mistake.... But we have Balme so we are on the right track bbbbwaaaahh

Comparing us to the dogs is a joke, they had a coach that game in and dropped superstar players because they didn't work hard enough and didnt play the team way, they refused play a mature age ruck because he was a flig of a bloke even when they were struggling for height....

If Beverage was coaching the Tigers, Vickery wouldn't have played a senior game this year and B.Ellis would have won the VFL B and F.

nope, brandon ellis would be AA and thriving in a game plan that suits his ability.

There's gold in them darn hills pardner!! Bwaahhaaahaaa all I needed was to read the first 19 words of the OP to understand the meaning of complete and utter delusion. 5 months ago you started this thread and seeing as the season ended a month ago etc. So let's get this straight limping across the line in R1 when if the tankers were on target we were stuffed followed by capitulating against a soon to be shit truck in the scum and losing on the last kick didn't convince you neither did getting our arses kicked by any top 8 side bar 1 game where stole it when they were shit. You still didn't think we were out of the running until a month ago ? Like really dude? I mean really? I have heard of brightsiders and looking at the posituves but I am seriously concerned about your sanity man. You seem to have lost all sense of reality which happens to people that are constantly facing disappointment and form this fictitious world to protect you from the crap
I need that bong he's on.

I've never felt more pessimistic about the Richmond football club. It feels like we have been here to look after Hardwick and make sure he's OK. I'd say he's done and everything he has learnt as a assistant is now null and void and is just lost.
Probably can still handle Brisbane but that is about it. Hope I'm wrong.
Yeah we are in the right path in that we have a team and a club and facilities. But I think we are going to bottom out.

nope, brandon ellis would be AA and thriving in a game plan that suits his ability.
LMFAO soft as butter Ellis would be delisted at the dogs bloke is not only scared of putting his head over the ball but terrified of taking a risk.

If you think Beveridge would tolerate then you just have not been watching the dogs play footy.B Ellis is the antithsesis ??? of everyting the wb represent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion We're On The Right Path

Remove this Banner Ad

Back