West Coast Eagles Priority Pick (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

2 bad years in a row is all that it takes? One COVID-affected, one injury-affected.
Get ya hand off it, Eddie. They finished 9th in 2021.

makes sense to get priority picks early. Getting that 4 years later means what?

What has previous finishing got to do with it? I know 9th is success for your club. Not ours. May as well finish last.

If they didn’t pay half their salary cap to seven injury prone list cloggers they probably wouldn’t be the sh*tiest team I’ve ever seen right now.
I’ve never seen a club implode more through sheer hubris and list management incompetence yet now people are suggesting they be given a hand out.

So what parameters are required for priority pick? Good list management?
At a minimum you’d think an independent investigation and a clean out at the top level would be a good start before they begin throwing priority picks around. Treat the cause, not the symptoms.

They thought they could bring in Kelly and add to a senior group of McGov, Gaff, Sheed, Yeo, Shuey, Cripps, Hurn, Darling ..but all they got is injury after injury along with broken down old warhorse in JK and praying for a Nic Nat return with good form.

But it just didn’t happen for a number of reasons and one of them isn’t age.

McGoveran might seem like he’s 35 but he’s just turned 31. Gaff just turned 30, Shuey 32.

WC thought these guys would be in their prime and going for gold with young gun Allan chipping in and the rest of the under 25s.

They went all in with a pair of aces and lost the bet.

Last edited:
Disgraceful if they get a PP.
Blatant example of horrendous list management and self bathwater drinking .

Well players get old. I am not sure what a club can do about that. Players retire early due to wear and tear. That’s what happens.

System is designed for you to crash down the ladder.

Not sure about bathwater. That’s simply parroting Kane Cornes. You can have your own detailed assessment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well wouldn’t it make more sense to get it early so you aren’t stuck at bottom?

Imagine if that happened how competitive competition would be. It’s not like a priority pick = premiership.

So what, 1 bad season and u get a PP? It would be a disaster for the teams in the middle of the ladder, or the other bad teams who didn't get a PP.

Well players get old. I am not sure what a club can do about that. Players retire early due to wear and tear. That’s what happens.

System is designed for you to crash down the ladder.

Not sure about bathwater. That’s simply parroting Kane Cornes. You can have your own detailed assessment.
Not listened or seen him at all.

Players get old. That’s no1 cause. Poor drafting and picks is no2.
The effects of time apply to every single team. It is indisputable that West Coast’s current form is as bad as any team of the past 50 years, including the darkest days of Fitzroy and Melbourne. West Coast are a level of uncompetitive that is an anomaly based on history, and to expect a priority pick while changing nothing at the top level just reeks of arrogance.

Priority picks shouldn’t be a consideration unless a club has:

Been in a premiership drought for 18 or more years (the competition is set up obviously to at least allow for this) AND their list is a shambles like West Coasts is now OR a major unforeseen event happens (team altering and out of their control).

makes sense to get priority picks early. Getting that 4 years later means what?

What has previous finishing got to do with it? I know 9th is success for your club. Not ours. May as well finish last.
Getting a priority pick would be embarrassing. Have you no shame?

The effects of time apply to every single team. It is indisputable that West Coast’s current form is as bad as any team of the past 50 years, including the darkest days of Fitzroy and Melbourne. West Coast are a level of uncompetitive that is an anomaly based on history, and to expect a priority pick while changing nothing at the top level just reeks of arrogance.

So your solution to uncompetativeness is not to give them means to become competitive until someone loses their job because you “feel” someone is arrogant.

Is soft cap going to be waived so we can sack the arrogant coach who is simply protecting his players from wolves?

I am ok with changes being made at club. That heat will stay on, priority pick or not. Ain’t magically going away, I can tell you that. We don’t accept 9th, let alone a spoon.

Still laughing at a post suggesting 9th is indicator of success.

They thought they could bring in Kelly and add to a senior group of McGov, Gaff, Sheed, Yeo, Shuey, Cripps, Hurn, Darling ..but all they got is injury after injury along with broken down old warhorse in JK and praying for a Nic Nat return with good form.

But it just didn’t happen for a number of reasons and one of them isn’t age.

McGoveran might seem like he’s 35 but he’s just turned 31. Gaff just turned 30, Shuey 32.

WC thought these guys would be in their prime and going for gold with young gun Allan chipping in and the rest of the under 25s.

They went all in with a pair of aces and lost the bet.

Not sure what you mean. We traded Kelly in and he is our best player at moment with some suggesting close to being all Australian.

I am 100% sure no one said gov was in his prime. That was never said and we said two years ago we are focusing on draft. He took pay cuts when we needed him to and we had to look after him.

Gaff is cooked but that’s because game has gotten so much faster with rule changes. He doesn’t fit modern game.

Shuey is for culture. Can’t just ship everyone out, otherwise you end up
Like Carlton.

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast Eagles Priority Pick (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back