West Coast Eagles Priority Pick (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast don't have that.
WCE have superior oldies to us though.

At the very least, Allen and Ginbey will both have great careers.

We got most of our good youth from hanging out at the bottom of the ladder for half a decade.

Not sure why the same logic shouldn’t apply to the Eagles?

Had another think about it. The only way I’d agree in any form of a PP would be if it’s only to be traded.

Right now, WCE need players in the 80-120game range badly. We’ve either got kids or vets. A first round draft pick that could be packaged with other picks for a fairly good west Australian player in the mid 20s would be much more help than more young talent.
Why do they need a PP to do this? There are already mechanisms to do it. FA, Sup S, Trade etc

Someone will give them 2 X firsts and maybe a 2nd rounder next year for Harley Reid

Eagles need to pay out their old codgers past it who want to "retire", suck it up and hit the draft and get as many WA kids 21-24 back home to build the next gen

WC, led by coach Simpson, threw the towel in during covid and have been mopping around ever since.
They are an enormously wealthy club and want for nothing.
They are a disgraceful club atm that need to look in the mirror, roll up their sleeves and do the hard yards back to respectability.
Absolutely no PP/assistance for this club that won a premiership 5 years ago … take a walk in St.Kilda’s shoes …

They need to put a priority on trying to win rather than the lazy tankfest they are serving up this year

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

With all their injuries they have had (only had 2 or 3 listed players for the WAFL/Reserves team this weekend) you cannot accuse them of tanking.

They are paying the Piper for years of bad contracts, holding onto cooked veterans too long and not enough attention to the draft and young player development.

I honestly think a PP is needed for West Coast. North, who were last in the discussion about this were different as at least they had some really good quality kids on their list, kids who you could point to and say "they are going to be good in a few years".

West Coast don't have that. They are older than you would think and they don't really have many kids coming through. North had bottomed out when they were terrible but the scary thing is that West Coast still have more bottoming out to do.

Oh go and get f***ed with your anti North bias you've had for the last 10 years.

Every time you post you've never rated North worth a cent. But now, when it comes to priority picks, we have 'quality young kids'!

Never mind the fact we have blokes looking to leave. We have spent 4 years of bottom two and our record was just as bad as west coast last year (with half the injuries!).

We have a stand in coach. What do you think will happen if we have to change our coach again? Complete chaos and a never ending rebuild.

Get stuffed! Never rated your opinion. Ever.

A new head coach and strength and conditioning coach are needed at the Eagles long before a priority pick.

Trevor Nisbett and most the crusty old boys club on their board need to go too. They are part of the problem, not the solution at the Eagles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WC, led by coach Simpson, threw the towel in during covid and have been mopping around ever since.
They are an enormously wealthy club and want for nothing.
They are a disgraceful club atm that need to look in the mirror, roll up their sleeves and do the hard yards back to respectability.
Absolutely no PP/assistance for this club that won a premiership 5 years ago … take a walk in St.Kilda’s shoes …
Yep, they played finals three years ago and won a flag five years ago.

They can GAGF. This isn’t because of some systemic unfairness or because they’re new to the comp. They made decisions that led to them being this crap.

Eagles putting in a very strong case for a priority pick. Not often you see a club this bad
Nope.
The club got themselves in this situation.
8 players over 30. It’s not being mediocre due to young players in a rebuild, it is absolute pathetic list management.
The priority pick should only be given if 4 of those players retire. They’re still experienced.

It’s rich as well, when the highest paid player, Nic Naituani, at the club for some time hasn’t even played for nearly a whole year and won’t be pushed to either get fit or retire.

It’s a cop out to say it’s a rebuild, when North have been doing this for 3 years already.

West Coast will need to commit to the full rebuild to get any sympathy.

Eagles putting in a very strong case for a priority pick. Not often you see a club this bad
The only thing they are doing is helping our case for a priority pick as we have been bottom 2 for 4 years in a row

This is their second year of this

They are 2 years behind us and we didn’t get anything until the 3rd year

I'm OK with priorities being given to avoid these situations, though it should be noted that North and Hawthorn have also looked to be state league standard at times this season. You don't know what to expect from North and Hawthorn: they could have a red hot crack, or they could get thumped. It's only over the past few weeks where West Coast have really distanced themselves as the worst team in the comp.

I think it's also exacerbated during this part of the year when there's six games over four days, it sort of becomes five games over four days when you already know the result of one. So there's a lot more neutral focus: we don't have two games on at the same time, so we can't just switch over to the interesting game on Saturday or Sunday afternoon, or Saturday night.

Back to priority picks. I'd suggest something pretty modest. Apart from the teams who've traded out of the first round, they shouldn't be getting two cracks before other clubs have had their first go. As someone who doesn't worry too much about the draft until the grand final's done, it gets irritating to think about the possibilities of pick #13, only to find out it'll actually be #18 or something once all the compensations and concessions are done.

I'd suggest something like mid-second, start of third, end of third, all of which need to be used for trades or forfeited. Applying that to 2022, that would have been #30, #39 and #52, which is a fair bit to work with to help you get 1-2 established senior players.

Honestly, right now they're witches hats, they're not competitive. Getting a Rolls Royce like Harley Reid is nice, he'll definitely help, but just as much they need a few uncompromising hard nuts, a few of those unfashionable types that Collingwood's winning with right now. The first step is to stop being an easy team to play against. When you have such an enormous home ground advantage, it really shouldn't be that hard to improve from where they are now, to 6-8 wins by next year or 2025.

I think the parallels with Adelaide are clear. As soon as they start showing some signs of life, they'll be able to add mature pieces to continue the climb. It's not the same as a Queensland or Sydney club, West Coast will always be an attractive destination for countless players who've originally come from WA and they'll always have a sizable advantage (along with Fremantle) when scouting the WA juniors in their backyard.

If they were to get priority picks, it should be something like an extra pick or two at the end of the rookie draft after everyone has had there picks so they have an extra list spot or two and maybe they find a gem and won't affect other teams.

This team is historically the worst it’s ever been, a priority pick won’t save them but boy do they deserve it. The AFL should provide a pick at the start of the first round under the proviso that the AFL help make organizational changes at the club (CEO, Board, Coaches etc)

They will get end of first round, at best.

Three sides have won premierships since West Coast last did.

West Coast have played finals in 6 out of the last 8 seasons.

Thats two of the five criteria for a priority pick.

They finished 9th two seasons ago.

This isn't a scenario for first round priority picks. They can maybe get an F2 that they have to trade for a player.

But you don't punish all of the sides who have struggling to rebuild to help out a side who recently won a premiership.

Correct, end of R1 is my guess. This will only be their 3rd year in a row out of finals.

They will get end of first round, at best.
The only assistance I really care about getting is being able to match a bid on Livingstone inside the top 40, like other clubs can do.

All clubs should be able to do this anyway, not just the Northern academy clubs.

Oh go and get f***ed with your anti North bias you've had for the last 10 years.

Every time you post you've never rated North worth a cent. But now, when it comes to priority picks, we have 'quality young kids'!

Never mind the fact we have blokes looking to leave. We have spent 4 years of bottom two and our record was just as bad as west coast last year (with half the injuries!).

We have a stand in coach. What do you think will happen if we have to change our coach again? Complete chaos and a never ending rebuild.

Get stuffed! Never rated your opinion. Ever.

So you are upset that I believe North have more good kids than West Coast do and that North bottomed out in the last year or two but West Coast still have some more bottoming out to do? I basically said I think North is better than West Coast and you are upset about that?

The only assistance I really care about getting is being able to match a bid on Livingstone inside the top 40, like other clubs can do.

All clubs should be able to do this anyway, not just the Northern academy clubs.

Is he a WA kid.

If so I’m not against a return to zones for all, like sides with academies have, this would include the Vic sides.

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast Eagles Priority Pick (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back