West Coast v Port Adelaide Rd 2 Preview & Match Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I knew Port would come back. We just don't have the legs, composure or skills. What have we been dong over summer? Same problems still there.

Ebert - im getting increasingly frustrated with him. Just does not have clean disposal.

MacKenzie - cant kick, fumbles too much.

Spangher - see above.

good summary
If we had of won by 3 points it still would have been a pitterful performance.

We had endless opportunities. I dont think we choked because the errors were 4 qtrs and consistant.

MacKenzie is a liability - did he cost us 2 or 3 direct goals?

Ebert looks to have no vision and falls apart when tired.

That said it is easy to pick on kids. Glass should never be out marked by Ebert. Cox was a passenger again. The ight is out of the question unless there is a massive change in psyche.

Swift and Masten look like C grade mids at best. Ok but no grunt and no polish.
A. Sellwood takes that many hits for the team he deserves more support.

A game to forget for both teams. Naita looked dominant but Westhoff isn't much of an opponent in the ruck.

Haven't seen much of Kennedy but thought he was fantastic tonight, his opponent in Carlile is quickly becoming one of the best defenders in the game so he did very well.

Waters was good for the first 3 qtrs.

I love the Subi crowds, there is always somebody giving the finger to the cameras.

What? You said Port only had to show up to win comfortably. You then squibbed it and waited 20 hours until after we lost to respond and then still didnt answer the question asked....

You are weak as piss. :)
Dude i wasn't at the computer, why so upset lol.
I said this "Well if we lose this game, i imagine that top 8 dreams are over. Kerr will probably lose his cool late in the game when he realizes he is still surrounded by plodders. Can't wait to watch our group of 10 inside midfielders spray the ball everytime they get it. I guess we'll be relying on some Nait magic.

But yeah seriously... if Port turn up to play, they'll run rings around us."
Your question was 'How did i come to this to conclusion?'

A. Same way anyone does. Watching every game and interpreting that information.

If it wasn't for Nait brilliance, we would've been blown away. That was pretty much all i said.

**** that was so frustrating! I feel like punching a little kitten right now!

We just crumbled. I've almost lost my voice from yelling so loud everytime we just bombed it into the forwardline.
Highlight of that game for me was seeing Nicoski go to the bench injured. And what really pissed me off was when Woosh was all smiles and relaxed at half time or whatever when they spoke to him, have some god damn passion. That whole game was just so uninspired. What a bloody dissapointment.

JK back to CHF, he worked his arse off tonight but you could just tell that he was uncomfortable. He owns CHF and if the coaching staff mess around with that it'll just be one giant back-step. Lynch back to FF, we needed him tonight. Mitch back to CHB, because it was evident that that is where he should be imo, although he did alright.
Drop Brett Jones like the cold potato that he is, just get a young fella in there because he is not the answer.
Get Glass to straighten up his act.
As for Mackenzie, he was good in the second half I thought, leave him in.
Spangher was just a nothing player tonight, not too sure what we should do with him tbh.
Swift wasn't great but it was a marginal improvement on last week, let him get on keepin on because he'll get better.
Kill Nicoski.
Oh and somone please remind Kerr that he is in fact tackleable.

Dude i wasn't at the computer, why so upset lol.
I said this "Well if we lose this game, i imagine that top 8 dreams are over. Kerr will probably lose his cool late in the game when he realizes he is still surrounded by plodders. Can't wait to watch our group of 10 inside midfielders spray the ball everytime they get it. I guess we'll be relying on some Nait magic.

But yeah seriously... if Port turn up to play, they'll run rings around us."
Your question was 'How did i come to this to conclusion?'

A. Same way anyone does. Watching every game and interpreting that information.

If it wasn't for Nait brilliance, we would've been blown away. That was pretty much all i said.

Fair enough, you weren't at your computer but you were logged in and online.... but magically you were at your computer 2 mins after the game finished ...

So your conclusion that Port would run rings around us came true?

That was my question. :)

You are a troll. And you know it.

You're funny. Thanks for trying and frankly borrowing most of my analysis. If you reckon the first quarter wasnt that bad, you're clueless. If you reckon the approval of my peers is important then you are new here on incredibly stupid ... and I mean that nicely...

Its the only plausible excuse.

You watching the game now or still on radio?

Yes of course I'm borrowing your post, because I care enough to plagerise your in depth analysis. Keep clutching there.

You're right though, I don't know you from a hole in the wall nor do I care to. It's cute you think I should know your reputation. If you were watching the game instead of refreshing the thread every 10 seconds seeking approval then maybe you'd come across as someone not as desperately insecure.

But you know what, game's over and I'm out. You're quite welcome to have the last say; and keep defending those who would wish injuries upon our very own.

Disappointing game and result. To think the game could be won with the forward line that was put in was hoping against hope. Sheppard will be a good player but how can you win games with a squad that has 20 half back flankers and two half forwards. Absence of Lecras shows how thin the forward line stocks are. How we could have done tonight with a small fast guy who could kick goals (like Jetta).

Yes of course I'm borrowing your post, because I care enough to plagerise your in depth analysis. Keep clutching there.

You're right though, I don't know you from a hole in the wall nor do I care to. It's cute you think I should know your reputation. If you were watching the game instead of refreshing the thread every 10 seconds seeking approval then maybe you'd come across as someone not as desperately insecure.

But you know what, game's over and I'm out. You're quite welcome to have the last say; and keep defending those who would wish injuries upon our very own.

Clown. Didnt defend any such thing.

I think your 166 posts in 4 years have added a lot. Since you have now managed 1 that talks about footy (albeit heavily borrowed and taking 2.5 quarters to put together), you may be moving forward - albeit very slowly.

Although the staggering weight of your posts do not add anything at all.

Enjoy your day :)

Well I am pissed.off.

After watching Melbourne today, I can safely say they are a better team than us. We lacked heart, we lacked determination, and above all we lacked ability.

Horrible, horrible footskills, compounded by horrible, horrible decision making.

Finals are not going to happen this year until a lot of older blokes have a good look at themselves.

And this is the first time I have ever doubted Woosha. He better have some clue where he's going with this rabble...

Fair enough, you weren't at your computer but you were logged in and online.... but magically you were at your computer 2 mins after the game finished ...

So your conclusion that Port would run rings around us came true?

That was my question. :)

You are a troll. And you know it.
Yeah sorry, i leave my comp on 24/7. I came back to watch the game.

'run rings' was a little over the top, but i ain't trolling. I'm just upset that the teams development is so poor and yet they keep trying to play it safe with the same set-up game after game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I was at the game thanks to my good pal Alipate Carslise, and things went according to plan.

West Coast let Port jump out of the blocks early, Woosha employs a lock down style gameplan, flooded the contest to counter Ports obvious edge in legspeed, it works for a couple of quarters.

Some problems emerge in the 2nd and 3rd quarters that we all saw last week at the Gabba, entry into the forward 50 was deplorable.

Why? A genuine lack of pace around the stoppages, poor footskills of your mids and no confidence in Mitch Brown who lost it at a few of his teammates in the last.

The midfield is genuinely sub par. How Priddis and Selwood play 80 minutes of football, and often in tandem is baffling, one plodder as a defensive mid is enough why play two?

Another issue I see is your two key backs, Glass was beaten alot tonight, Ebert and Shultz did him on the lead and Mackenzie and Glass simply cant kick.

West Coast are not a top 8 side, the sooner they get games into Masten, Swift and Shuey in the middle the better they'll be in the long run.

I reckon Hurn might be gone for a few.

The umpiring at ruck contest was deplorable. Brogan and Trengove went at Natanui all night and for the most part Naita was penalised?

Why the Nicoski hate? He was good in the first qtr and then was off injured for the rest of the game :confused:

I disagree, he wasn't good. Ok, so obviously I don't actually want him dead, I'm not that much of bitch. But we had too many guys tonight who just did the bomb it long thing, we don't need Captain "send it high and hope for the best" leading the way for the rest of them, enough is enough.

Yeah sorry, i leave my comp on 24/7. I came back to watch the game.

'run rings' was a little over the top, but i ain't trolling. I'm just upset that the teams development is so poor and yet they keep trying to play it safe with the same set-up game after game.

We agree on that.

The Priddis, A Selwood, McGinnity & a dash of Kerr midfield won't scare too many teams. Our most dangerous mids tonight were Nick Nat & Kerr then daylight.

Masten and one or two others need more time through the middle. Certainly our lack of line breaking speed - on any line - is not great.

As you'll see I'm one who has called for E-Mac's head. Now in the past I have been a supporter, he looks a capable defender.

But some of that disposal was just woeful. Where do we draw the line and say "Hey Buddy, you want to play AFL, you have to quit with the laziness". If he does the same next week, we lose, do we drop him then? Do we wait for 4 losses in a row?

I know what you are saying, and the truth is we can't drop everyone who played badly. But he wouldn't want to keep that up.

I don't know when you drop a player who lets you down with shoddy disposal but I'm certain it's not after 1 bad showing, and I'm certain it doesn't matter that much this season because the flag was out of our reach before our season even started.

I understand your POV though, I just wanted to say that a positive to come out of this game was we were able to put MacKenzie in a situation where his disposal could've gone a long way to losing us the game.

After the Sydney match, it was established that pressure disposal was something had to work on and today he had a chance to work on it. Sadly, he again came up negative, but it's better that he gets the practise in RD2 when we're nowhere near a flag than in an elimination final in 2012.

Nobody learns something like later 4th quarter, deep in defence disposal during a tight game without actually being there, so this game was good.

Hopefully this expirience leads to E-mac becoming more composed next time.

Well I was at the game thanks to my good pal Alipate Carslise, and things went according to plan.

West Coast let Port jump out of the blocks early, Woosha employs a lock down style gameplan, flooded the contest to counter Ports obvious edge in legspeed, it works for a couple of quarters.

Some problems emerge in the 2nd and 3rd quarters that we all saw last week at the Gabba, entry into the forward 50 was deplorable.

Why? A genuine lack of pace around the stoppages, poor footskills of your mids and no confidence in Mitch Brown who lost it at a few of his teammates in the last.

The midfield is genuinely sub par. How Priddis and Selwood play 80 minutes of football, and often in tandem is baffling, one plodder as a defensive mid is enough why play two?

Another issue I see is your two key backs, Glass was beaten alot tonight, Ebert and Shultz did him on the lead and Mackenzie and Glass simply cant kick.

West Coast are not a top 8 side, the sooner they get games into Masten, Swift and Shuey in the middle the better they'll be in the long run.

The umpiring at ruck contest was deplorable. Brogan and Trengove went at Natanui all night and for the most part Naita was penalised?

Hi Pav,

Answer me one question. The 80 mins on which we both agree, why does it happen every week? I just dont get it?

Hi Pav,

Answer me one question. The 80 mins on which we both agree, why does it happen every week? I just dont get it?

To me it just seems like they are trying to ease them into the midfield but surely the time for that has passed? Our midfield has been a problem for a few years but there seems to be a reluctance to introduce new players.

Agree with all of these points.

We went down a particular development path and i feel we needed to be agressive with our drafting. ala Fremantle.

I find myself horrified to agree with a freo supporter..... :(

Hey babe.

I dont think I can tell you.

I can understand why your match committee wont play Shuey through the middle for extended bursts, he's had one preseason and they probably dont want to make him crash early.

Actually, I'll give it a go.

After the first quarter, at the ground anyway, it seemed pretty obvious that Port had you in terms of legspeed, so, and this only a guess, Woosh employed the flood at the stoppages.

That was pretty evident, West Coast were crowding the contest with extra numbers, perhaps the thinking was bigger bodies would get the job done?

That's great, but what happens when the ball his out in the open, who really wants Priddis, and Mcginnity kicking the ball forward, these two pump the ball so high it has snow on it when it comes down.

For a third year midfielder, Masten really needs more game time.

Unless he's carrying something it's really poor coaching.

Naitanui got 6 FF and 1 FA actually. I think it was the other guys giving away the frees.

But yeh, you make good points.

Glass got beaten too much, I thought Mackenzie was great until he had to kick the ball. :eek: I don't want to see him lose confidence in himself but you have to know your limits.

Dunno about Hurn, there has been a few cases in the last few weeks and no one has gotten weeks. Have to wait to see what the MRP spins up on the wheel this week.

The problem really is our delivery into the forward line and Masten, Shuey and Swift all playing HF. I'm a big fan of Selwood and Priddis for what they are but they can't be the mainstays of our midfield if we are to improve.

The Priddis/Selwood(80min) problem is a result of the Judd/Cuzz/Brawn/Jones/Chick exodus. They became our defacto midfield 'leaders' and the club backed them in. At the time there was no choice... but now it leads to a situation where they + Ebert, Masten have been christened our next 'generation' without really having earnt it.

There is a small rift between one group and Kerr. Selwood talks in the pre-season how we're going to have an 'even' midfield group while Kerr doesn't rate them and would rather see Swift and others move in.

Notice Kerr is the only one who passes to Swift atm?

I might be reaching a bit but its very hard to dislodge 'cliques'.

The coaching staff needs to take some control and just say, look, no one is guaranteed a future at this stage because we're not good enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast v Port Adelaide Rd 2 Preview & Match Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back