West Coast vs Bulldogs NAB Challenge

Remove this Banner Ad

vseaglesmar07bag3.jpg

Just got back from the game, am a little bit pissy (ok change that to allot) so bear with me.

First it was a good game for a practice match and a great win by the dogs. Overall impression the dogs are very quick especially on the turnover or rebound and by very quick I mean they looked like lightning (may hurt you when they all tend to run forward).

West coast were pretty sluggish and had fairly poor skills.

Best thing about the night was Lynch's monster kicking

Doogs looked good
and even layed a few tackles (something he never did for us). Little guy up forward was great for the dogs and Robbins and Johno as always looked electric

Oh well I'm going to watch the cricket now and drink some water

Tell us please on how your wife is after seeing Doogs again.

Mind you I would not blame her if she was in 7th heaven. :D

My former PE teacher Mark Komp who played for the Doggies in the early 80's was the most unco kick I have ever seen. Pretty sure someone mentioned that on the best #13 thread.

Well, his kicking style was a bit like Max Walker's bowling style. Well, worse, actually. Not only was he unbalanced and awkward, he somehow made the ball do a back somersault with half twist and pike on it's way from hand to boot. So it was a minor miracle that he even connected with the ball, let alone got it going in the right direction.

A shame really. He could find the ball and move a bit.

I will attempt a brief summary and the no. of possessions of each player is highlighted in brackets:
Addision (16) - Appeared to be tagging Cousins and clearly won. Restricted Cousins to a handfull of possessions. Made a few errors when under pressure but had a good game;
Boyd (12) - A solid game in the middle and defencee;
Cooney (15) - one of the doggies better players and kicked two goals. As previously indicated, played well when on the ground;
Darcy (8) - started slowly and was beaten when in the forward line. All possessions were in the 2nd half and ended up with 6 marks and 1 goal. The who team contratulated him when he kicked the goal. Still needs game time but confidence did grow in the second half;
Eagleton (14) - one of the doggies better players and kicked two goals;
Gia (13) - quiet game, played half forward and continued to be inaccurate in front of goal, kicking 1 goal 3;
Gilbee (13) - a strong game in the backline, stood up when required, especially when the Eagles were starting to get back into the game in the 2nd half;
Hargrave (20) - one of the doggies best players. Had plenty of possessions and played a strong game in the backline. Kicked one goal when the Eagles were applying flooding tactics;
Higgins (8) - kicked 2 goals. Good game from the kid;
Johnson (18) - a legend. Kicked 3 goals when required in the last quarter. Spent some time on the ball tagging Judd. Typical Johnno game;
Doogs (6) - a quiet game. Was moved from forward line to backline on a number of occassions. Took a couple of strong contested marks and chased and tackled well. Will be in the starting line up;
McMahon (19) - got plenty of the ball but had a few bad turnovers when under pressure resulting in goals to the Eagles;
Minson (5) - kicked a goal but was killed in the ruck. Appears to spend more time watching his opponent than the ball. Bad game;
Monty (15) - was one of the dogs better players;
Morris (11) - solid game but as with Gilbee, really came into the game with a few good strong contested marks against taller opposition when required in the 2nd half;
Murphy (10) - struggled in the first half up forward but when placed in the backline in the 2nd half, started to pick up a few possessions. Wouldn't be surprised if he stays down back to assist Wight while Harris is suspended;
Power (14) - strong game from the wing/half back line. Won alot of contested ball and provided a good link men for the dogs;
Ray (14) - kicked 1 goal. slow in the first half but got into the game in the 2nd half. Appears slow with his decision making when has the ball but took a couple of good strong contested marks in the backline when required;
Robbins (3) - kicked 1 goal. Won of few doggies that provided consistent leads up forward. Always had a few Eagles players on him. Although not many possessions, provided a contest and tackled and chased well;
Skipper (1) - was rucking well when injured with the dogs winning alot of centre clearances;
West (24) - played well all game and worked tirelessly. great game;
Wight (4) - played on Lynch from the time Grant went off. Although 4 goals were kicked against him, only two were from marks with the other 2 being extremely soft frees that weren't really there. Contested well and made a number of spoils. Solid game and will improve.

A few more notes made from the game:
- Grant played at FB before going off the field;
- the dogs game slowed in the 2nd quarter when the Eagles started flooding, resulting in a number of disposal errors causing turnovers and goals. That was when the Eagles kicked 4 goals to 2;
- Embley and Kerr were the only noteable ommissions for the Eagles, so they pretty much had their strongest team on the field;
- it was one of the doggies best games for manning up. The Eagles struggled to get the ball past the half forward line due to the pressure being applied by the forwards and midfielders;
- intensity was good nearly all game and there is still alot of room for improvement.
- Darcy will improve as his game time and confidence increases. Also appeared a little lost in the forward line at times. Went into the ruck when Skipper went off the ground and his confidence started building from then.

I haven't heard any more about his groin. He appeared to be walking freely and without discomfort after the game. I still think it was more a precautionary measure taking him off the field.

Thanks, like it was quite a good game. Who were you missing tonight?
Only a few of our best 22, Kerr and embley I think were missing, plus Sampi would have been handy (looks on track to play early in the season after getting himself a bit more in shape lately :thumbsu:), and Hansen got injured early. Not a lot of our best players missing, but yeah we just had a bit of poor disposal and lack of communication at times. Still, it doesn't worry me, the only thing I am disappointed about is Hansen's injury, which looks like he might be out for a few weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only a few of our best 22, Kerr and embley I think were missing, plus Sampi would have been handy (looks on track to play early in the season after getting himself a bit more in shape lately :thumbsu:), and Hansen got injured early. Not a lot of our best players missing, but yeah we just had a bit of poor disposal and lack of communication at times. Still, it doesn't worry me, the only thing I am disappointed about is Hansen's injury, which looks like he might be out for a few weeks.

Thanks. IIRC we were missing Aker, Street and Harris, and lost Skipper and Grant during the game.

He played pretty much 3 quarters yesterday at Whitten Oval and was pretty good without out and out starring.

No major concerns, he needed one more hitout for touch and to run around. He'll be right for Round One.

Darcy (8) - started slowly and was beaten when in the forward line. All possessions were in the 2nd half and ended up with 6 marks and 1 goal. The who team contratulated him when he kicked the goal. Still needs game time but confidence did grow in the second half;

The official possession stats only tell part of the story. I was listening in the second half when he not only kicked a goal but created one by strongly contestiing a pack mark and creating the crumb that got converted. If he contested effectively in the first half he probably did the job up forward, even though he'll do it much better in a few weeks time.

Sports tonight had some highlights of this game.
One was a Minson snap and the other was Darcy's goal.
Its already mentioned here I think but it made me remember how good a player Darcy was.
For those that didn't see it Darcy marked beyond 50, goes on a wide arc to kick to the square but instead easily baulks around Seaby?, runs inside 50, straightens and puts through an easy goal.
Classic Luke Darcy. We can only hope he has a bit of luck and it happens in the real stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast vs Bulldogs NAB Challenge

Remove this Banner Ad

Back