West Coast vs Bulldogs NAB Challenge

Remove this Banner Ad

Good point Ernie. It's easy to forget just how good Darcy is - a very intelligent footballer up there with some of our best names in Grant, Johnson, West, and Smith. Really looking forward to him having a successful year and getting through the season.

For Ernie :)

http://www.bulldogsfootyblog.com/

I live about 5 minutes walk from Subi Oval, which was nice tonight.

First of all, it was a game involving very little pressure and alot of open space and both sides had numbers down back, Really not a game to read too much into bar a few individual performances.

If you are still motivated to read this blog, thank you. Overall, we broke the lines and moved the ball fluently. Our structure going forward looked very effective, seemed to look well prepared for round 1. Army of runners looked very dangerous, moving the ball superbly at times. Darcy and Cooney were the highlights, the latter especially.

My major concern was having a power forward dominating us once again. Harris being out for the first 2 games, as well as Grant’s injury from tonight will leave us with few options to counter such players.

Had a few drinks, so my usual high quality posting might be somewhat impaired. Here are a few comments about our guys:

Johnson: The stand out. Mainly used off a HF/CHF. Offered a constant option, ending up with 4 (I think) What can you say? He was Brad Johnson tonight.

West: Spent a fair bit of the 1st half on the bench. Dominant in 2nd half, we all know who he is and what he is capable of it.

Gian: Got alot of it, however his disposal was pretty poor. Dangerous when near goal, end up with a couple. Works very hard to get to the ball, but struggles with the hard ball at times (not soft imo, just not a strength). Overall was one of our best purely based on ground he was willing to cover.

Cross: Solid 1st half, spent time on and off bench in 2nd half.

Boyd: Solid when on, can he be anything less that serviceable these days?

Addison: Disposal isn’t great but boy do I love how this kid moves. Naturally brave, works hard, tackles, all that stuff.

McMahon: Spent most of game on the bench, my girlfriend seemed to enjoy the view . Struggled to get into it during his limited time on the ground.

Gilbee: Also struggled to get into it.

Cooney: Most pleasing aspect from tonight. Was great in 2nd half, oozed class at times, very dangerous as a link man. Started throwing himself into the action as the game went on.

Eagleton: Gave us alot of run in the 1st half, just about our best in that period. Used sparingly in 2nd half. Don’t think he will lose his spot to the young running brigade just yet.

Minson: Spent most of the game in the ruck, decent effort against Cox/Seaby. Looks awkward around the ground, but worked very hard and was effective overall.

Darcy: Very pleasing performance. Spent two very brief stints in the ruck, as well as doing around the ground work. Was smashed by Glass (excuse the pun) when playing as a deep forward. Played further up the forward in the 3rd quarter and showedpositive signs. Was suprising quick and agile in space. In one piece of play he mark outside 50, went back before baulking man on mark and kicking truly. Looks ready to play round 1.

Ray- Strong 4th term after a quiet game, spent a bit of time on the bench.

Doogs- Nothing spectular, but worked hard, presented well, laid tackles, pretty much continued what he has been doing the last 3 weeks. Really struggles to dispose of ball in any manner other than kicking long.

Robbins- Kicked 2, but had little impact overall. Really struggles to have any impact outside of kicking goals. Respect the service he has given to the club, but don’t think he is great for our side’s structure.

Morris- Spent a fair bit of time on the bench in the 1st half. Played on Lecras mostly (I think) and Lynch for awhile. Was beaten by both, but seemed more of a getting rid of the cobwebs type thing. Improved late in game, with a couple of typical acts of bravery.

Wight- Was decent on Hansen early on, though Eagles didn’t give him much delivery in that period. Moved around after that, spending time on Lynch who was too strong at times, looked more comfortable the further away his opponent was from goal. Had a strong game overall. Did a couple of clever things which enabled him to gain front position and allowing us to rebound strongly out of defence, very pleasing.

Power- Played his HB link man role again and was decent.

Murphy- Must admit he slipt under the radar. Didn’t see him much, moved well when sighted.

Higgins- Kicked 2 in the first quarter, seems a super clever player already. Hard to believe he has just turned 19 when you see him in a contest. Rest for the 2nd half due to his corkie last week I imagine.

Hargrave- Was our most effective option for Lynch, however it was during the time in which Lynch was playing CHF role. Had a strong game overall, offering decent defensive option as well as offering rebound. Disposal was poor at times though. Think he will end up with a big role round 1.

Skipper- Hobbled off during 3rd qtr, looked like foot/ankle (had problems with his foot last year obviously). Looked bad at the time, but I thought he looked OK after the game, walking bare foot and unaided (no ice/strapping etc).

Grant- Went off early, no idea what with. Hope we are just being cautious.

Darcy's goal - where he took a mark and ran around the player on the mark and kicked a goal.

vseaglesmar07zanl9.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast vs Bulldogs NAB Challenge

Remove this Banner Ad

Back