AFLW West Coast Womens 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty harsh on a number of player there
Yeah, I think many clubs carry players no better. Many on that list could get a game in a decent side, albeit as a bottom 6 type player

Our issue is we don't have 6 bottom 6 type players, we have about 12+.

Take any 6 of those players, put them in a stronger side with a defined role, they immediately will look much better.

Nothing makes an average player look like a poor player more than playing in an underperforming side.

Of course, that we have so many average players is a reason the side performs poorly, so some need to be upgraded.

But do that with maybe half, I suspect the other half starts to look better.

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pretty harsh on a number of player there
Deliberately, yes. Because when we start getting smashed, people are going to start blaming the coach, the management, etc. We need to be ultra realistic about where the list's actually at.
Yeah, I think many clubs carry players no better. Many on that list could get a game in a decent side, albeit as a bottom 6 type player

Our issue is we don't have 6 bottom 6 type players, we have about 12+.

Take any 6 of those players, put them in a stronger side with a defined role, they immediately will look much better.

Nothing makes an average player look like a poor player more than playing in an underperforming side.

Of course, that we have so many average players is a reason the side performs poorly, so some need to be upgraded.

But do that with maybe half, I suspect the other half starts to look better.

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah, I agree with that. The point is, we've got lots and lots of them, far more than most clubs. Now that the draft is national, with at least 4 strong picks guaranteed per draft, two years picking first or near-first should see us out of the current mess, plus will gain us some genuine superstars. But I've been saying the same on this forum for ages -- it's a long journey.

But this year won't be pretty, especially with all the injuries. We're the one team in the comp that can least afford them.

Deliberately, yes. Because when we start getting smashed, people are going to start blaming the coach, the management, etc. We need to be ultra realistic about where the list's actually at.

Yeah, I agree with that. The point is, we've got lots and lots of them, far more than most clubs. Now that the draft is national, with at least 4 strong picks guaranteed per draft, two years picking first or near-first should see us out of the current mess, plus will gain us some genuine superstars. But I've been saying the same on this forum for ages -- it's a long journey.

But this year won't be pretty, especially with all the injuries. We're the one team in the comp that can least afford them.

Well if ( when ), we have some lowly finishes, now with a truely National Draft, we can start improving our list with out post code restrictions and compromises.

If we finish in the bottom few spots there are PLENTY of good draft options across Australia.

Where as previously our best option would have been Fish, who whilst very good is by no means the best in this years cohort.

As others have said Centra looks like an absolutely awesome prospect, to but name one.

Part of our problem historically has been that we have been restricted to WA talent, which in itself, is a quality compromise.

Just take a close look at the U/18 Championships thus far and what is blatantly obvious, is the quality of both ball movement and leading patterns from the Other States forwards and the connection with their respective midfields.

WA girls just bomb the ball long without looking to whom the kicks are intended to hit up.

So in many ways the WAFLW game style of, kick and hope, has imposed its way on the way our girls play at the next level once they get drafted.

It’s a stark contrast watching both the WA teams move the ball compared to how the better teams like: Brisbane, Adelaide and Melbourne move the ball.

Last edited:
No commentary????
There has been. It’s the old bloke who hates the Beagles and finishes his sentences 15 minutes after he starts them, plus another bloke alongside (could be Ben Henry by the sounds, part time WAFL comms, part time elite footy content creator).

Two goals this term from Grace Kelly.

Eagles look on and keen to move it a lot more strategically this week than last. A few overlap handballs, a few kicks into space. Can’t stick the final tackle - lots of jumper tackles and arm holds but too often they can’t prevent the disposal over the top getting away.

1.4 to 3.1, more even than the scoreboard looks but making hard work of a few things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roux with a free against for protecting a teammate but then takes it too far and gives away 50. No harm done as the siren sounds.

Odd half. Definitely better signs than last week but still cannot connect to the forward 60-70 or so.

Highlight of the first half was the younger commentator busting out “by golly, by jingo, by crikey” all as one sentence during some biff.

Not much love between these two - the saints came out very narky, sniping, etc but our girls have replied in kind. Good to see. Playing okay, but still lacking forward line nous. Kicking at goal is astray. The saints girls are finding separation too easily.

#1 pick looks good

For me it won’t be Centra or Fish who are both dynamite in their own right.

It’ll be the best tall I’ve seen play live and is Dean Cox type ruck. Can mark, ruck and get her own ball and has speed… she ran off Zippy Fish like she was nothing in the champs.

Qlds Havana Harris - absolute weapon. Sign me up.

So many clubs will look to trade players for picks this year, this draft class is magnificent as is next years. Bloody exciting

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW West Coast Womens 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back