Toast What a year!

Remove this Banner Ad

Love this club, absolutely love this club. This year and last year have reminded me again why it is great to follow sport and to emotionally invest. I never got angry through 2011-12, just jaded. The fire is back now, every win is amazing, every loss is like a knife to the heart now and game day is the best day of every week.

Thank you Port. Gave us a great ride, proved the experts wrong again (won't make finals anyone???) and again, just like in the dying minutes last year, scared the absolute shit out of all and sundry.....and remember.....all of those guys tonight are going to be better again.

I ****ing love this club

I am proud of the effort and class we showed to come from 5th and almost snatch a spot in the grand final, but a prelim isn't enough, like others are saying I feel like this has been a wasted year - we could have won a flag.

Next year our goal must absolutely be to win a premiership. No more tinkering, no more experiments. Top 2 > home prelim > premiers. That's what I want to see. If I see any player on twitter/social media going on about how 'we are going places', ala those smug twats from west swamps who came back to all the 'so brave, umpires robbed ya' calls and strutted around with their chests puffed out all summer only to have it backfire in their faces, I will blow my top.

Knuckle down, train even harder and work on the damn goal kicking. They have the skill and belief in themselves, just need to raise the execution and finishing up to another level.

And to the coaches/recruiters please - get another tall forward or work on getting Harvey/Shaw ready for AFL, another ruck and ffs no more midget forward lines EVER AGAIN.

Well we gave it a bloody good shake, one to be immensely proud of as supporters.

A lot of what if's in our final game but one things for sure, we play a brand of footy which is the envy of every other opposition supporter across the land.

'Never give up' isn' just a cheap marketing slogan, just ask Freo and the Hawks.

When Wingard matures and learns to play 4 quarters of footy, he will virtually be unstoppable.

**** it still hurts though.

No team that's finished outside the top 4 has got that close to an AFL grand final since the current top eight system was introduced. Hurts like hell to lose but that's an achievement. The loss will drive the players even harder next year.

The last quarter reminded me a bit of our classic win over the Crows in 2013. But the Wingard moment of brilliance never came in the dying seconds.

No team that's finished outside the top 4 has got that close to an AFL grand final since the current top eight system was introduced. Hurts like hell to lose but that's an achievement. The loss will drive the players even harder next year.

The last quarter reminded me a bit of our classic win over the Crows in 2013. But the Wingard moment of brilliance never came in the dying seconds.

Because Umpire Matt Stevic decided to construct a name for oneself.

I'm absolutely shattered, I just feel numb right now. I know the umpiring was rubbish but when we were sitting at 3-10 at one point and I had a really bad feeling at quarter time that was going to come back and bite us on the arse. Hopefully we can have another great preseason and pick up some big names in the trading and drafting period. The next 5 or 6 seasons will be huge for us and hopefully we can make the most of our opportunities in the near future.

that's the only logical reason but can't understand why Clurey wasn't asked to step up

Super frustrating when you've got the replacements in waiting but obviously not quite ready.You guys would be in a GF if it wasn't for those critical injuries to Carlisle and trengove.

Anyway,I'm sure you guys will definitely be top 4 next year,I just hope your not top 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I decided to watch the game at the club tonight. Electric Atmosphere. ashamedly I think with 9minutes to go or so I was conceding we couldn't win.

I couldn't believe the number of missed opportunities in the first quarter. We had every right to win that game. I was so unbelievably gutted after the game. I was a bit pissed that nearly everyone at the club, bar 4-5 people I saw seemed complacent with taking a gutsy "honorable loss", and just being proud of the boys. Guy there in magpies jumper, girl that worked there, and some other girl that I thought was going to cry. At least I'm not the only one hurting. I spent about 5 minutes at the club just staring into space about what could have been, and then an hour in the car, and I'm still disappointed now. How could you not be extremely gutted after that close loss. Yeah sure I'm proud of boys, and they never gave in, but as if you can walk out watching the game and be happy about it.

David King can **** off. We didn't over achieve, we got what we deserved.

Sitting here still absolutely gutted!! Despite that, I feel so immensely proud of the club and all involved, so proud of this year and what we accomplished. What a game, what a comeback, what an amazing season! And for God's sake, to those that are saying this was a wasted year, blah blah ... Go away, have a stiff drink, and go to bed! Both on field, and off field, this year has been an amazing run of wonderful steps forward as a club. And for crap sake don't DARE compare this pre-lim year with the Crows'!! There is NO comparison whatsoever! They had a dead easy draw, played above themselves, treated the competition and game with disrespect, and got what they deserved.

I was so upset after the siren tonight, I could not move, could not talk. But looking at those young men coming off the ground in such agony, having giving there all, no way could I feel anything else for them other than pride, respect, admiration, and affection. I know that Ken will bottle their disappointment, they will grow from this, and it will motivate them further for next year.

Ps... Don't blame the umpires either. The game move at blistering pace, and mistakes were made against BOTH side, with some ridiculous decisions paid in our favor.

Sitting here still absolutely gutted!! Despite that, I feel so immensely proud of the club and all involved, so proud of this year and what we accomplished. What a game, what a comeback, what an amazing season! And for God's sake, to those that are saying this was a wasted year, blah blah ... Go away, have a stiff drink, and go to bed! Both on field, and off field, this year has been an amazing run of wonderful steps forward as a club. And for crap sake don't DARE compare this pre-lim year with the Crows'!! There is NO comparison whatsoever! They had a dead easy draw, played above themselves, treated the competition and game with disrespect, and got what they deserved.

I was so upset after the siren tonight, I could not move, could not talk. But looking at those young men coming off the ground in such agony, having giving there all, no way could I feel anything else for them other than pride, respect, admiration, and affection. I know that Ken will bottle their disappointment, they will grow from this, and it will motivate them further for next year.

Ps... Don't blame the umpires either. The game move at blistering pace, and mistakes were made against BOTH side, with some ridiculous decisions paid in our favor.
What really annoys me is when people say we overachieved, and we're only a young side. Truth is, our best is good enough to match it with the best.

What really annoys me is when people say we overachieved, and we're only a young side. Truth is, our best is good enough to match it with the best.
Jeez ... that is ridiculous. Most pundits are lauding Ports game & year. We were good enough to win the flag ... IF everything went our way. Missing the top-4 though made it nigh impossible IMO. We spent all our petrol tickets tonight. If we had won I reckon we would have got caned next week ... just my opinion, so dont shoot me down please.

Totally gutted, but so just so Proud of the boys, the club, and all the Port supporters. Give me a day or two & I will be dead excited for our next leg of the journey.

You guys played the Hawks and were one kick away from a Grand Final so I reckon the next 2 years are probably going to be pretty great. For meeeeee!

Congrats on a visually exciting year with great results.

After going out and clearing the head all i can say is yes i am bitterly disappointed by the loss but as a supporter i have the right to be but i am not disappointed about the year. We rose above our mark last year, we beat 3 of the top 4 and nearly beat sydney at the SCG which is a monumental achievement given their squad. There are still a few rough patches that need to be ironed out which will work itself out in time.

Maybe we should throw Burgess' planned pre-season regime out the window and just have everyone practice goal kicking 12 hours a day for four months.

I was lucky enough to be at the game as I work there. You guys have an awesome side, best to watch by far in the comp, it's electrifying at times. Your fans created a great atmosphere. Horrible way to lose for sure (prefer the way we lost our PF, less heartache) but I'm certain PA will be massive contenders in the next few years. All the best for 2015, hope North gets drawn to play PA away, would be a great away trip.

Don't assume we will be back in prelim again. Opportunity presented and we did not take it.

It has been 7 years since we played in a prelim and 7 years for North. It is a long time.

That repeated would see us back in a prelim in 2021. That is is the sobering reality of tonight.

Don't assume we will be back in prelim again. Opportunity presented and we did not take it.

It has been 7 years since we played in a prelim and 7 years for North. It is a long time.

That repeated would see us back in a prelim in 2021. That is is the sobering reality of tonight.

exactly right. missed opportunities is the theme of the year whether we like it or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast What a year!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back