What AFL record will stand forever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Michael Tuck most wins as a player.
and probably
Michael Tuck most grand finals as a player.

Everything else is gettable.

Michael Tuck most premierships as a player looks safe
But you could imagine a young player picking up 3 or 4 premierships with a team and then with free agency moving to another team and winning another 3 or 4 flags.

Absolutely, but I guess Boomer (3), Burgoyne (6), Pendlebury (5 - even if you want to count the 2010 replay, which is BS) and Fletcher (3) demonstrate how unobtainable 11 grand final appearances is. I may have some of those figures wrong, that's just off the top of my head how many times their team made a grand final while they were on the list, not sure if there were any misses through injury or whatever.

Boomer, Fletcher and Pendles have all played 400 games (Pendlebury on the cusp) they all had/have had what would be considered very successful careers and yet they only match Tuck for GF appearances combined if you give Pendles 'Two for the price of one' credit for 2010.

Looking at it another way - Geelong has probably featured in as many grand finals as anyone since I've been following the game and you have to go back nearly 60 years to reach their last 11 grand final appearances. You have to go back 35 years for Hawthorn. For Collingwood it's - what - 1977? What chance does anyone have of making 11 GFs in a career where only half a dozen or so players in the history of the league would have played for 20 years?

I think there's two factors here, Tuck was probably slightly before my time, so happy to be corrected.

1. This is no knock on Jason Dunstall on anyone else, I think it's just a fact: if Tuck and Dunstall's post football careers were switched around (I.e. Tuck featuring as a host, panellist and commentator on the weekly football coverage and serving in various senior/board roles with Hawthorn), I think Tuck would be the one with Legend status.

2. (Again, this is the one I'm not sure about) I don't recall Tuck really being discussed in the late-stages of his career as one of the absolute superstars of the competition, or even as the best player in his team. I'm sure it was partly because he was past his prime, but it seemed like Dunstall, Platten, Ayres, Brereton and Langford got most of the attention and would have been the players who'd have been mentioned at the top end of 'Top 50' lists back in the day (not sure if they were a thing, but I doubt it).

That Hawthorn team was stacked with stars: you can add the likes of Dipper, Buckenara, Mew, Wallace, Greene, Pritchard and Collins at different times during the 1983-91 era, combined with the twilight of champions like Knights and Matthews at the start of that run and you probably had half of Hawthorn's team who were the best in the comp - or close enough to it - at their position.
I agree with all of this. Too many stars at Hawthorn across his era, but I just think 7 premierships, 11 grand finals, 4 x premiership captain, 11 x SoO rep, 400+ games and AFL games record holder at the time of his retirement should elevate him. No media career to pump him up afterwards a huge factor.

Joel Selwood playing in 40 finals.
Hard to see anyone beating that.

Final 10 will probably happen as soon as the AFL hits 20 teams and after a few seasons of a 20-team league, the number of dead rubbers in the last third of the home and away season might see clubs agitate for a final 12. It's one thing to be cut loose but have a draft pick to look forward too, in a 20-team league you might be 13th or 14th and not even picking in the top five, but still playing 4-6 weeks while mathematically eliminated from finals. They'll need to lower the finals drawbridge just to incentivise more teams not to tank.

The only semantics could be if 9th down gets classified as a 'wildcard' round and does or doesn't count towards a player's "finals" tally.

Tony Lockett 1360 goals

Yeah, I reckon this is a "big" record that will be very difficult to beat. Take Buddy's career for example, absolute stand out forward of the last 20 years and he was still 5 or 6 seasons short of getting close to this number - and he played a long time.

Never say never but this one stands out for me, not counting the "player to wear number 4 at most clubs" type records.

1. This is no knock on Jason Dunstall on anyone else, I think it's just a fact: if Tuck and Dunstall's post football careers were switched around (I.e. Tuck featuring as a host, panellist and commentator on the weekly football coverage and serving in various senior/board roles with Hawthorn), I think Tuck would be the one with Legend status.

2. (Again, this is the one I'm not sure about) I don't recall Tuck really being discussed in the late-stages of his career as one of the absolute superstars of the competition, or even as the best player in his team.

Yeah.... I don't think so. Tuck was a good player, if you were looking for a modern day comparison I would think would align with someone like a Callan Ward (who I rate very highly). Really solid, never plays a bad game, get the job done sort of player. Was not a superstar of the competition and his main claim to fame was his resilience and longevity - Kevin Murray was another who comes to mind.

Regarding all the records re - most goals in a game/season/career.

I agree - under the CURRENT game plans - zoning, flooding etc - it is very difficult for forwards to kick a 'bag'. But the scoring in Australian Rules has shown variation throughout its history.
In 1904, the average score by a team in a game was 51.
In 1924 - 69
In 1954 - 75
In 1974 - 94
From then until 2014 - scoring remained reasonably consistent, but since 2014, it has dropped to about 83 - 84.

Leading Goalscorers have also gone up and down - after Coleman kicked his last 100-goal season (1952 - he kicked 96 in 1953) - the next century was kicked in 1968 (Hudson), and the highest total in a H&A season from 1954-1967 was 79 in 1967.
When Peter Hudson kicked his 150 goals in 1971, Hawthorn was the highest scoring team. The second highest scoring team was Richmond, whose leading goalkicker was Royce Hart - with 67 goals. Different game plans. In 1973 Richmond was the highest scoring team, and their highest goalkicker was Neil Balme - 34.

It is possible that football game plans may evolve to a point where only 1 or 2 players on each team kick 80-90% of a team;s score. Like basketball or, even more extreme, netball

For that reason, I never say 'this record cannot ever be broken' - (unless rules change to make it impossible).

First record that came mind, will never be bettered, even if they increased the number of games in a season
My first thought with it was more that society today likes sugar hits, so if I’m looking into my crystal ball then I believe in the future games will be shorter, not longer and less games played for fixture equalisation.

Last edited:
John Butcher has this I think? 6 kicks for 6 goals.

Just googled that....interesting......that was his second match.....which is still amazing and must be a record for a second match! But he also holds a record for his first match.... First game played for Port Adelaide against Hawthorn 2011. Port lost by 165 points.....so he holds the record for the worst defeat suffered by any player in his debut match in VFL/AFL history.

Great recovery from opening game though and maybe he didn't even get a kick in his first game....so the 6 goals could still be a record for first 6 kicks.......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First record that came mind, will never be bettered, even if they increased the number of games in a season

Even if you - somehow - got to 38 home and away games a season (more than a 50% increase on the current fixture), you'd still need almost 3 goals a game from a forward playing at that level for 13+ seasons while barely missing a game (in a 38 game season, or more). A 3 goal haul from a forward is considered acceptable now.

Of course, never say never, but this is one I'm prepared to bet that it will never ever be beaten.

Yeah.... I don't think so. Tuck was a good player, if you were looking for a modern day comparison I would think would align with someone like a Callan Ward (who I rate very highly). Really solid, never plays a bad game, get the job done sort of player. Was not a superstar of the competition and his main claim to fame was his resilience and longevity - Kevin Murray was another who comes to mind.
Maybe Tuck was just the greatest team player there ever was ??

It's a 13 year old thread with 400 posts so I'm not looking to see if Rattens 265 clearances in 1999 has been bought up.

The next best is Neale with 205 last year.

Ratten averaged 10.19 per game over 26 matches and the next highest average is Cripps with 8.81 in 2016.

Played in the centre without resting obviously contributes to that.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

St Kildas spoon count will never be beaten

Two more St Kilda records I think are safe:

Lowest Ever Score - 0.1-1 against Geelong at Corio Bay in 1899 (the Cats for their part kicked 23.24-162 that afternoon, after conceding the first point to the Saints within seconds of starting play).

Highest Match Aggregate - 345 points St Kilda 31.18-204 to Melbourne 21.15-141 in 1978. Considering how much lower scoring games are today than even a decade ago, that there have been just three matches with a 300-point aggregate from 2000 onwards (the last of which was North Melbourne and the Bulldogs in June 2003) I can't see this record being broken. Even high-scoring Geelong, Hawthorn and North Melbourne teams in the late 80s and early 90s couldn't do it; and nowadays a game with scores such as 17.10-112 to 13.10-88 is considered higher scoring than average.

Just googled that....interesting......that was his second match.....which is still amazing and must be a record for a second match! But he also holds a record for his first match.... First game played for Port Adelaide against Hawthorn 2011. Port lost by 165 points.....so he holds the record for the worst defeat suffered by any player in his debut match in VFL/AFL history.
Actually - not right. I did a quick check and found a player called Max Hardie who played 2 games for the Saints in 1919.

First game:
Geelong 189
St Kilda 18

So 171-point loss. Poor old Max only got one other game - the following round when the Saints played Essendon - and won! But that was it for Max.

Actually - not right. I did a quick check and found a player called Max Hardie who played 2 games for the Saints in 1919.

First game:
Geelong 189
St Kilda 18

So 171-point loss. Poor old Max only got one other game - the following round when the Saints played Essendon - and won! But that was it for Max.
Ok, then things not as bad I thought for Johnny Butcher !

St Kilda's 98 losses from 100 matches 1897-1903.
They were only in the League because:
1. They played at a ground (the St Kilda Cricket Ground) which was very well located regarding public transport.
2. Their players were regarded as 'very nice chaps' and 'good sports'.
3. Their rival for a place in the league, Port Melbourne were regarded as 'unsporting thugs'!
What about best win rate by a club over 50, 100, 150 and 200 games?

What AFL record will stand forever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back