What do we need for successful 2012?

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree Rors. The proof is in the pudding with this guy. How many touches did goofyfoot Petrie or Edwards get after half-time?

Plain Vanilla flavour full-back.

Can we order one more? :rolleyes:

I couldnt disagree more... Im not worried about North Melbourne, they move the ball inside 50 too slowly for Zac to be exposed & are NOT likely 2012 finals contenders. Did you even watch the game on Saturday night? The 3 times Zac had to go one-on-one with Petrie resulted in 2 Petrie marks & goals & nearly a free-kick against for ripping Petrie's head off (which i couldnt believe the ump missed)...

Im more concerned with how Zac went against finals contending teams that move the ball inside 50 quickly to expose the one-on-one match-up with Zac?

Franklin - 5.5 from 10 marks
Cloke - Rd11. 3.3 from 11 marks; Rd21. 2.2 from 6 marks
Dawes - Rd11. 2.1 from 5 marks
Podsiadly - 2.2 from 9 marks

As i have said previously, i think our running defenders would be better served by a Full-Back that didnt have to rely on his them for a chop-out everytime there is an entry... It would help our movement up the ground be more efficient & faster & would give the guys up the ground more time to lead & make their decisions so they arent kicking the ball to Nick's feet or over his head because they are too rushed

I do think Ledge will have an impact in the next couple of years (as opposed to Joey taking 4-5 years to really get going)

I think that's something that is lost on a lot of people now, we're all complaining about not getting enough games into some of our youngsters, but not everyone is Joel Selwood.

But yes, I would love to see Ledge run out of the middle, hit Siposs on the tit before him handing it off to Cripps to dribble it through from the pocket in Round 1 next year :D

Ibelieve the ump missed)...

Im more concerned with how Zac went against finals contending teams that move the ball inside 50 quickly to expose the one-on-one match-up with Zac?

Franklin - 5.5 from 10 marks
Cloke - Rd11. 3.3 from 11 marks; Rd21. 2.2 from 6 marks
Dawes - Rd11. 2.1 from 5 marks
Podsiadly - 2.2 from 9 marks

Geeez cut him some slack. He was playing on 2 opponents all night apparently!

Perhaps a Josh Gibson-like player?
Gibson struggles on bigger guys so a player like him probably won't fix any problems. Zac needs to get back to his '09 weight he's looked like a rake since that year.

How can people be so naive. Zac has done an amazing job on most of the top FF in the game. People say he didnt play good on Buddy or Drew or Cloke???? Hello, were talking about the best FF's in the game! They kick 2-6 on everyone! Not just Zac. He's not as big as some of the biggest forwards but he goes as hard as he can. He's so competitive. Make no mistake, the StKilda Backline belongs to Zac. We havn't even seen what he can do up the ground much because he's too busy keeping the backline together. If I had to choose between Zac and Gibson, I's choose Zac in a heart beat and I wouldnt even flinch!

Whilst Zac seems to have lost a bit too much muscle mass (quite evident at training too) and can get caught under the ball (particularly when the midfield don't put pressure on the kicker), his critics have a remarkable ability to ignore anything positive he does.

Player of the finals (equal with Hayes) last year - he is not the dud that some seem to be trying to push. Word has it that a relative of mine screeches uncontrollably every time he goes near the ball. It's just irrational. Ross rates him - yet he inspires hatred amongst some "supporters"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zac had a really bad month or six week period last year and unfortunately that's what most people seem to remember. I think we were all too spoilt with Max regularly keeping the best forwards to 0 goals.

Whilst Zac seems to have lost a bit too much muscle mass (quite evident at training too) and can get caught under the ball (particularly when the midfield don't put pressure on the kicker), his critics have a remarkable ability to ignore anything positive he does.

Player of the finals (equal with Hayes) last year - he is not the dud that some seem to be trying to push. Word has it that a relative of mine screeches uncontrollably every time he goes near the ball. It's just irrational. Ross rates him - yet he inspires hatred amongst some "supporters"?

I've never understood why criticism is considered a negative thing? I've always had the mantra of people that are easily offended by criticism are small minded. Look at the big picture, I hope Zac reads what i have written in my posts above & is inspired to prove me wrong & many other Saints fans wrong

BTW, how do you guys gauge success?

IMO ANYTHING SHORT OF A PREMIERSHIP IS A FAILURE :mad:

I specifically mentioned Adam because ( I think I'm right ) he has never played for a team ( at any level ) that didnt make finals.
I thought you were being funny and making a joke about his fat bum, that will EXPLODE into a XXXL when he retires! :D

I've never understood why criticism is considered a negative thing? I've always had the mantra of people that are easily offended by criticism are small minded. Look at the big picture, I hope Zac reads what i have written in my posts above & is inspired to prove me wrong & many other Saints fans wrong

BTW, how do you guys gauge success?

IMO ANYTHING SHORT OF A PREMIERSHIP IS A FAILURE :mad:
Gee, winning something like 23 straight in 2009 must have been so boring for you.

The goal is important, but the journey can be pretty nice, too. It's not either/or. I want a Premiership, but I'm not going to say a season was a failure when we win enough to make finals and have some great plays and games along the way.

Oh, and if you or anybody else wants to throw out the line, "It's supporters like you, with your low expectations, who are the reason we've only got one premiership...", save yourself the typing time. I'm a lost cause... lost to the St Kilda Footy Club winning matches, week in, week out.

I've never understood why criticism is considered a negative thing?

There is criticism, and then there is banging on and on about it (along with throwing in silly comments like the 192cm Lynch has better size & strength and the 2-game Simpkin who needed to be subbed off is just a level below Zac already).

Could Tom Lynch be made into a Full-Back? He has better size & strength than Zac.... To be honest, i hate being critical of our players but Zac, i cant stand him.

Simpkin looked like he could be an important part of our defence in the next few years. He has a cool head & to be honest, is probably just a level below Zac Dawson already.

I completely agree with you on Walsh, & i certainly havent given up hope on anyone on our list other than Dawson.

What we need is a young self-less 'monster' full-back type like Daniel Merrett, Michael Jameson, Ben Reid etc. This would ease stress of Chips, Gilbert, Raph having to always be 2nd, 3rd man up to help out Zac Dawson... Wouldnt it be fantastic to know your full-back can get the job done one-on-one 9/10 times?

Im not worried about North Melbourne, they move the ball inside 50 too slowly for Zac to be exposed

As i have said previously, i think our running defenders would be better served by a Full-Back that didnt have to rely on his them for a chop-out everytime there is an entry

Give it a rest, or at least recognise when he does well and try and keep the slagging to a dull roar.

Sorry for having an opinion.

Our backline is almost unchanged in 3 years & while it functions very well, we still havent won a flag. I apologize for suggesting that maybe something needs a change.

Cheers,
Rors

We've been beaten in the clearances a number of times this year. Blame Zac.

Delivery to our forwards has often been ordinary. Dawson's fault.

We've lacked a mobile marking forward to support Kosi and Roo. What the _uck is the full back doing about it???

Our backline has been so good this year. Think about it. Dawson, Clarke, Blake are our main defenders. Thier not exactly thought of as champions are they. Yet year after year we seem to have one of the best defences in the comp. That says something about us.

Happened to have a look at this thread since I believe the missing pieces in the stkilda jigsaw that could've delivered a flag were a fit Luke penny and mat McGuire. I agree with the op that a gorilla fb would release creative players like chips etc. I also have to agree that zac Dawson is not the answer. Has good athleticism and a great reach but this would better serve a 3rd up defender like Dustin felcher has done most of his career. He is also of questionable character.

Remove this Banner Ad

What do we need for successful 2012?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back