What do we need for successful 2012?

Remove this Banner Ad

Happened to have a look at this thread since I believe the missing pieces in the stkilda jigsaw that could've delivered a flag were a fit Luke penny and mat McGuire. I agree with the op that a gorilla fb would release creative players like chips etc. I also have to agree that zac Dawson is not the answer. Has good athleticism and a great reach but this would better serve a 3rd up defender like Dustin felcher has done most of his career. He is also of questionable character.

How would Matt McGuire have helped us?

Happened to have a look at this thread since I believe the missing pieces in the stkilda jigsaw that could've delivered a flag were a fit Luke penny and mat McGuire. I agree with the op that a gorilla fb would release creative players like chips etc. I also have to agree that zac Dawson is not the answer. Has good athleticism and a great reach but this would better serve a 3rd up defender like Dustin felcher has done most of his career. He is also of questionable character.

Whilst I don't agree that dawson is of questionable character, I do agree with his shortcomings.
I still think that he stands too far off his player and can often get caught ball watching and out of position and that he actually seems to lose concentration sometimes. Zac may or may not be the answer, but if he is then he still needs more work.

Sam Crocker looks a type that could play a nice role as a sub to get a feel for the AFL level if he gets a solid fitness base over pre-season & stays injury free in 2012... He looks like a wingman type with a nice long accurate kick & good overhead (pretty sure he's a lefty & the scouts thought of him as a Luke Hodge type... fingers crossed) with a little pace that could help serve our ball movement inside 50

Cripps & Ledger could definitely play stints through our forward line & through the centre next year to hopefully releasing Dal & Goddard into the defensive line to play sweeper & set-up... As for the 3rd tall option, i say persevere with the 3 of Gamble, Siposs & Walsh, as these look to have the rest covered

Sam Crocker looks a type that could play a nice role as a sub to get a feel for the AFL level if he gets a solid fitness base over pre-season & stays injury free in 2012... He looks like a wingman type with a nice long accurate kick & good overhead (pretty sure he's a lefty & the scouts thought of him as a Luke Hodge type... fingers crossed) with a little pace that could help serve our ball movement inside 50

Cripps & Ledger could definitely play stints through our forward line & through the centre next year to hopefully releasing Dal & Goddard into the defensive line to play sweeper & set-up... As for the 3rd tall option, i say persevere with the 3 of Gamble, Siposs & Walsh, as these look to have the rest covered

Is his body mature enough for AFL yet?

Is his body mature enough for AFL yet?

Probably not right now, but after another pre-season should do him the world of good... Nice 2 minute package they have of him from TAC cup in 2010 on AFL website. I know its a year later & he's had a few injuries, but i reckon he can make it. He marks strongly for skinny guy & was kicking the ball 60m with accuracy as a 17 yr old

How would Matt McGuire have helped us?
Brisbane Matt Maguire would be doing nothing but clog our list sure, but he mentioned injury free. If Goose had never broken his leg I see no reason he wouldn't have continued to become one of the best CHB's in the league and strengthen our spine immensely (same for Penny who would've just turned 30 this season)

Anyway on the thread topic, it's obvious but Lenny and Roo getting back to their best. If Riewoldt gets inury free on field and sorts everything out off the field and Lenny makes the best possible come back I reckon we will be back to our best. Particularly Lenny, even just being out there he makes a difference with his leadership but if he gets fit enough to lead by example again I think a few of our players having down years like Joey, Gilbert etc will step back up.

No more injuries to key players would be another important key, especially big McEvoy considering there won't be Gardiner to cover. Hopefully he continues his massive upward trajectory.

I think one or both of Cripps or Sippa holding down a spot in the forward line and bringing some youth and x factor to the team is very important.

And finally I can think of no possible reason why we should not get Fev. Absolute worst case he gets injured, gets on the piss, gives us some bad headlines and we sack him without playing a game. Best case we get a foil for Riewoldt who can actually kick a bag, a coleman medallist and hopefully a premiership.

As for Zac, we've been a good enough team to win a premiership with him and we can be again. Premiership teams can't afford passengers but they can support average role players. Zac is shocking when the balls coming at the chest of his man too much (e.g Cloke) but I see no viable option other than to regain midfield/backline supremecy and stop this from happening. Finding a replacement doesn't seem a viable option to me.

/giant post

Another cheap shot from the Peanut gallery. Seriously, offer something constructive or piss off. We aren't interested in this sort of salacious gossip.

Am I alone here?
I really rated Goose Maguire, but I cant help thinking the legend has surpassed the reality.

I dont consider that he ever looked the goods as a full back ( too short for starters ), and I'm not sure that todays game has a place for a "Gorilla CHB " if thats what he was.
Certainly he's never approached the sort of ability we've seen in Sam Fisher, even if we only compare ability as a negating stopper.
I think If I had to choose between Maguire 2006 and Gwilt 2010 , I'd choose Gwilt.

Am I alone here?
I really rated Goose Maguire, but I cant help thinking the legend has surpassed the reality.

Maguire was never a great one on one defender but was a very good reader of the play.

Remove this Banner Ad

What do we need for successful 2012?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back