What I want to see from Rhys Stanley and Nick Riewoldt

Remove this Banner Ad

this is exactly what i had in mind when i started the thread

670493-rhys-stanley.jpg

Anyone else look at this pic and think Rooey had dyed his hair?

REally? Reckon Roo's gonna struggle with his marking this way...

But see how focussed Riewoldt is - no distactions in pre-season this year! "Did you see that photo Roo?" ... "Nup".

Imagine the potential improvement to his goalkicking (Rhys might need to help line him up though).

Absolutely no positive reports for Stanley today. I want to write it off as blustery conditions not suited to a tall forward. But Ben had a good one. Archer kicked a few after taking good grabs.

Getting very concerned. And not just about Stanley. The issues around talls past Roo and Kosi are starting to get a little worrying.

At any rate, I can see growing shift of love from Stanley to Archer, if things continue the way they're going.

Absolutely no positive reports for Stanley today. I want to write it off as blustery conditions not suited to a tall forward. But Ben had a good one. Archer kicked a few after taking good grabs.

Getting very concerned. And not just about Stanley. The issues around talls past Roo and Kosi are starting to get a little worrying.

At any rate, I can see growing shift of love from Stanley to Archer, if things continue the way they're going.

Archer was average imo. Cant kick to save his life! Worse set shot then Riewoldt i think. Was shanking them before the game and then during the game. But yes Simpkin toweled up 'The Knife' big time. Is not a forward, isnt a ruckman. Have no idea what he is.... :confused:

I :heart: the big pig

Archer was average imo. Cant kick to save his life! Worse set shot then Riewoldt i think. Was shanking them before the game and then during the game. But yes Simpkin toweled up 'The Knife' big time. Is not a forward, isnt a ruckman. Have no idea what he is.... :confused:

I prefer to look at this like Simpkin is going to be the best full back since SOS.

Stanley was good, but no ones gonna get near it playing on Tommy.

:thumbsu:

Didnt he plug a couple at half? time or whenever he was practising with one of the coaches?
I didnt see him before the game.

So the question becomes was Simpkin good because Stanley was ordinary?

How did Gram and Peake fair?

Didnt he plug a couple at half? time or whenever he was practising with one of the coaches?
I didnt see him before the game.

Maybe, i wasnt paying attention at half time :eek:

How did Gram and Peake fair?

Report on Peake (from SS) wouldn't surprise. Showed alot of dash, but didn't do much.

I did laugh with the footage of Grammy. Tried to sell it to Gears - no cigar!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, Rhys has spent all this time being re-skilled (brainwashed) as a ruckman and now gets stick for his first hitout of the season playing as a forward in blustery conditions where other key forwards also struggled?

And Head is a smart opponent - most VFL forwards struggle to get a kick on him and Rhys is just starting to reverse the Ross effect.

Don't fall off the Stanwagon just yet.

The Stanley Knife is just saving himself for the NAB Cup where he dominates, don't want to give the opposition a heads up on his awesomeness before then.

In all seriousness though the Knife needs to show some genuine improvement this year and start stringing a few AFL games together or he might be struggling to hold his spot on the list. I still believe he has enormous potential but potential only gets you so far, you need to start producing some results sooner or later.

I'm surprised Saints fans would be less patient than those following the fortunes of Shaun Hampson - he and Rhys (to me) are incredibly similar types - who did little in his first 4 seasons and was just hitting his straps in 2011 before doing his knee (but returned to kick 6 goals in his last VFL game of the season).

Rhys is nearly 3 years younger, and the academy has only just started in properly developing our younger players.

Yeah, lets not give up after an intra-club match. Still, would like to see something from the knife this year....

Yeah, but Hayesy and Lewdy, it's NOT just one game. It is one game after a very disappointing 2011 season, which often saw him being accused - with some evidence - of being lazy, uncommitted and a little "up-himself". The intra-club was an opportunity for young players to show they were ready for the serious business. Milera, Saad, Ross, Ledger, Cripps, Simpkin, and to a lesser extent Crocker, Archer (who DID kick a few goals) and Sippos all showed they really WANTED it. Fact is, irrespective of the windy circumstances, all reports indicate he didn't try hard enough. That does not impress.

Look, he can change it around, but unlike talent, attitude is a choice. You have to make the decision to want it, and want it enough to work hard for it. The difference between that is the difference between Peake 2009 and Peake 2011. Stanley need to reshape his attitude. I hope the Academy's psychologists and coaches can help him to do that.

Yeah, but Hayesy and Lewdy, it's NOT just one game. It is one game after a very disappointing 2011 season, which often saw him being accused - with some evidence - of being lazy, uncommitted and a little "up-himself". The intra-club was an opportunity for young players to show they were ready for the serious business. Milera, Saad, Ross, Ledger, Cripps, Simpkin, and to a lesser extent Crocker, Archer (who DID kick a few goals) and Sippos all showed they really WANTED it. Fact is, irrespective of the windy circumstances, all reports indicate he didn't try hard enough. That does not impress.

Look, he can change it around, but unlike talent, attitude is a choice. You have to make the decision to want it, and want it enough to work hard for it. The difference between that is the difference between Peake 2009 and Peake 2011. Stanley need to reshape his attitude. I hope the Academy's psychologists and coaches can help him to do that.

this!!!! i really worry for him, i think he's in too deep now and wont be able to turn it around. at this stage i cant see him having any impact on the NAB. I cant see him getting any senior games. i can see him being dropped by sandy to play some reserves VFL. he's starting to go backwards from his form in 2010.

the reality is we have an ageing spine. fisher, roo, kozi will all be 30 this year. we will be very very lucky to get another 4 years max from 1 of them. the reality is kozi has another 2 years max. fishers role will have to change to get him another 3 years. roo we'd be very lucky to still be playing at 34.

a fast tracked, gifted KPP player takes a minimum of 3 years to develop before they are a regular senior player who has an impact on the game. our lack of developing a KPP is starting to catch up to us fast.

if stanley isnt working out i think we'll try and trade him for a KPP player 21+. to try an address the gap. if none are available i think we'll delist him.

the other thing is the next draft is a super draft and we need to take our full allotment of kids. who will make way for those kids is the big question. someone will have to be delisted, unfortunately for stanely if he doesnt progress in his development he will be in the crosshairs.

I certainly hope the club isn't taking this view. Stanley is still a project, 1 or 2 games a season in your first couple years is hardly the required amount of game experience for any player's development. Taller thinner players take the longest out of anyone to develop, its not uncommon for these types of players to take 4-5 years to see any real results.
I agree I'd like to see more of a commitment from him but its true, every time I was him play for Sandy he was playing in the ruck. If he's going to be trained as a forward its going to take more than 1 pre-season to get him right. I'll back in the development programme we have in place now to get him right.

Report on Peake (from SS) wouldn't surprise. Showed alot of dash, but didn't do much.

I did laugh with the footage of Grammy. Tried to sell it to Gears - no cigar!

was pretty funny. i laughed at that. grammy loves nothing more than selling some massive air leather.

was pretty funny. i laughed at that. grammy loves nothing more than selling some massive air leather.

hahahaha i saw that. bloody gram. atleast he's backing himself in. he needs a big 2012 or he's gone. 28, outside mid who can play off half back. we have those players in spades, especially developing players who arent 28.

Defacto, you're three hours behind Melbourne yet your attitude is just so retrograde.

Mate, what is with all the
'he will be cut from our list'
'if he doesn't shape up we can find a spot for someone else'
'sick of that c*nt. if he doesn't pull his finger out he will be gone by ____ '

whilst ameet bains could be doing a better job, you're not ameet bains, you never will be.
regardless of what you and ameet discuss i'd doubt your assessment means anything to ameet.

Defacto, you're three hours behind Melbourne yet your attitude is just so retrograde.

Mate, what is with all the
'he will be cut from our list'
'if he doesn't shape up we can find a spot for someone else'
'sick of that c*nt. if he doesn't pull his finger out he will be gone by ____ '

whilst ameet bains could be doing a better job, you're not ameet bains, you never will be.
regardless of what you and ameet discuss i'd doubt your assessment means anything to ameet.

did i say it did? its my view point and mine alone, no where did i claim to express the view points of someone else. i didn't know you weren't allowed to express your opinion on this forum. i guess you speak on behalf of the mods (yes i can draw that long bow too)?

obviously i've hit a raw nerve with you

Remove this Banner Ad

What I want to see from Rhys Stanley and Nick Riewoldt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back