What I want to see from Rhys Stanley and Nick Riewoldt

Remove this Banner Ad

What worth is he going to have if he achieves nothing this year?

I think we still need to give him another year or two...5 rounds into 2011 and we thought McEvoy was a spud. Less than a year later he's our hopeful ruckman for the next 10 years and is in the leadership group.

What worth is he going to have if he achieves nothing this year?

I think we still need to give him another year or two...5 rounds into 2011 and we thought McEvoy was a spud. Less than a year later he's our hopeful ruckman for the next 10 years and is in the leadership group.

thats a pretty good point. hard to disagree with it

Isn't this what the Academy is supposed to be about? Developing the latent talent within.

True but it's a 2 way street. Let's hope Rhys can buy in.

http://m.news.com.au/AFL/pg/0/fi964263.htm

But it is understood fourth-year player Rhys Stanley will play forward, with Justin Koschitzke forward/ruck, and sometimes the two of them in the forward line with the skipper.

Riewoldt "I'm loathe to individualise too much, but I think some of the younger guys like Stanley, and (Arryn) Siposs played a few games last year, so from a key position point of view, I'm sure they will get an opportunity at some stage,"

http://m.news.com.au/AFL/pg/0/fi964263.htm

But it is understood fourth-year player Rhys Stanley will play forward, with Justin Koschitzke forward/ruck, and sometimes the two of them in the forward line with the skipper.

Riewoldt "I'm loathe to individualise too much, but I think some of the younger guys like Stanley, and (Arryn) Siposs played a few games last year, so from a key position point of view, I'm sure they will get an opportunity at some stage,"

I dont like going too tall in the forward line, and I sort of shudder a bit thinking of Kosi, Nick, and Rhys all there at the same time.
(anyone remember the three towers, Gehrig, Riewoldt, Kosi ).
2 and a Sippos I can handle, though Ideally I'd prefer someone who can win a bit more of the ball if they move back.

I dont like going too tall in the forward line, and I sort of shudder a bit thinking of Kosi, Nick, and Rhys all there at the same time.
(anyone remember the three towers, Gehrig, Riewoldt, Kosi ).
2 and a Sippos I can handle, though Ideally I'd prefer someone who can win a bit more of the ball if they move back.

I'm absolutely cool with it. I'm not sure Saad and Milera are ready yet, Riewoldt appears destined to work higher up the ground at times, and Koschitzke will spend time in the ruck.

If Rhys' attitude and body are right, we're not going to look slow - he's as quick as we've got on the list.

The question is whether you can slot Siposs in there as well!

I'm absolutely cool with it. I'm not sure Saad and Milera are ready yet, Riewoldt appears destined to work higher up the ground at times, and Koschitzke will spend time in the ruck.

If Rhys' attitude and body are right, we're not going to look slow - he's as quick as we've got on the list.

The question is whether you can slot Siposs in there as well!

You still need some decent forward line pressure.

None of those four are going to get big numbers of contested posessions ( I can wish it but I cant see it happening ) so we are taking away someone who could get more.

On the other hand Grammy used to be able to bomb a long one into 50 and we had half a chance of doing something with it.

Whats Ross like overhead?

You still need some decent forward line pressure.

None of those four are going to get big numbers of contested posessions ( I can wish it but I cant see it happening ) so we are taking away someone who could get more.

On the other hand Grammy used to be able to bomb a long one into 50 and we had half a chance of doing something with it.

Whats Ross like overhead?

I can see (in time) Sippa getting contested marks. Schneider and Milne have always punched above their weight (height) in this area.

Agree Rhys won't add anything to an area where Kosi and Roo struggle at times. But he does chase in the VFL - and he is _ucking quick. Whether he sticks the tackles when he catches them is the issue!

But really we need more goals from our mids. This takes pressure off the forwards, and creates a bit more room as teams need to cover the 50m line (not just run to Riewoldt).

Macca and Gardi scored 17 goals in 2010. Macca got 4 last year.

Dal, BJ, Gram and Monty got 67 in 2010. 45 in 2011.

The issue is amplified because CJ and Boogie (as good as they are at other aspects of the game) just don't kick any. At the risk of being howled down, Lenny doesn't really kick them either!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know that Saad can take a good contested possession (saw that in his highlights reel, so yeah...).

He's very good at taking overhead marks at full pace (and an excellent set shot from within 40). Just not sure whether he'll be anywhere near as effective with the extra pace in AFL - and the fact that his teammates were looking for him in the VFL (whereas we seem distracted by Riewoldt's presence and manic signalling to "kick it to me!!!").

When Baker was sent back to the VFL in July, his first game was on Saad who barely touched it. This is the same Baker who was "retired" 2 months later.

He's very good at taking overhead marks at full pace (and an excellent set shot from within 40). Just not sure whether he'll be anywhere near as effective with the extra pace in AFL - and the fact that his teammates were looking for him in the VFL (whereas we seem distracted by Riewoldt's presence and manic signalling to "kick it to me!!!").

When Baker was sent back to the VFL in July, his first game was on Saad who barely touched it. This is the same Baker who was "retired" 2 months later.

I rate that as a Baker thing rather than a Saad thing ( as sad thing.... sorry) . I was hoping Baker would get picked up at GWS so that we could see him go head to head against Milne.
Seriously underrated was Baker. Saad, Leon Davis, Ballentyne etc etc etc.

I rate that as a Baker thing rather than a Saad thing ( as sad thing.... sorry) . I was hoping Baker would get picked up at GWS so that we could see him go head to head against Milne.
Seriously underrated was Baker. Saad, Leon Davis, Ballentyne etc etc etc.

Yeah, was just another notch in the belt for the Bakerdog.

I was just a little surprised how little effect Saad had on the game, given Sandringham were quite poor that day (kicking 2.7 for the whole match) and he was the Bullant's best player with 5 goals the week before.

It will be Stanley or Roo on the wing, maybe alternating forward. Just think of it Roo runs out from CHF, and stays on the wing, when Stanley see Roo running, perhaps with some internal signal he runs to HFF. Creates havoc with the defenders. Two quick big men running all over the place. I like it.

At the risk of being howled down, Lenny doesn't really kick them either!

Has improved but agree. Couldn't see Lenny resting forward and jagging a goal.

It's still Stanleys legs that concern me, still look way too thin, though I understand he's had recurring hamstring injuries.

jq72w3.jpg

I want to see Rhys running like the wind inside 50.
I want to see him lead and get off then run around behind his opponent in an arc and mark.
I want to see Roo telling Rhys what to do and I want Roo to stay at home.
Kosi and Macca can take marks up the ground.
Roo and Rhys are our talls now and I want to see them dominate.
And I want to see Rhys in the 22 instead of Kosi.

What is a hardman?

Someone who has the capacity to hurt others physically and that's part of the reason why ppl go to the footy ie. the potential in a contact sport that physicality will be displayed.

You've seen that almost every premiership team in history has had at least one hardman. Every good team needs a hardman and Kosi is the hard man at St Kilda. No-one doubts his hardness.

Remove this Banner Ad

What I want to see from Rhys Stanley and Nick Riewoldt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back