What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Watson, what a **** spank, talking about if Jong/Suckling comes in look at Dunkley going out, has he not watched this finals series
Don't worry about this stuff .......... just enjoy the week. We've waited a damn long time to be a GF participant and I am loving every single minute. Plus the love fest is definitely in our team.

I dont care who you are. If you don't love a bit of uplifting Celine to go with a dogs win, you're not human.
Woof
The amount of times I've welled up in the last three days has been ridiculous. Plenty more grown man crying to come this week.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

The media are paid for their opinions, whether they're considered or completely uninformed. I can't get annoyed at them picking Sydney, they've been the best team all year. Watson saying Dunkley could be replaced is ****ing stupid, but who cares.

My guess is David King watches more footy than most of these guys, and he was 20 goals out with his prediction last time Sydney played in the GF. Footy will make a mockery of so-called expert predictions.

The dogs footy this finals series is the best contested footy I've seen this year, but the swans first quarters against Adelaide and Geelong the most potent and efficient. It's a genuine toss up imo, can't wait.

The amount of times I've welled up in the last three days has been ridiculous. Plenty more grown man crying to come this week.

All I need is Vision of Tory Dickson marking the ball and ANY commentator saying the dogs are in the Grand Final and my eyes are gone. Hell, the Mark is my wallpaper on my phone, iPad and Mac. Every time I pick up my phone I tear up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tim Watson, what a **** spank, talking about if Jong/Suckling comes in look at Dunkley going out, has he not watched this finals series

Darcy quickly put him in his place and said Dunkley is not going anywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crikey's report on the free to air TV ratings for Saturday night makes for interesting reading....

... it was something probably never seen before for an AFL final. The audience for the post-game TV chat was around 50% more than the size of the audience that actually watched the win by the Bulldogs over the Giants. The post-match audience for the game of more than 2.6 million viewers was the top program on TV last week, and will end up as one of the highest this year.

The audience for the game itself was an estimated 1.780 million people across the country. But the post-match audience was estimated at 2.648 million people.. (so) the post-match audience jumped by 868,000 in a matter of minutes as news of the Bulldogs win spread across the country.

It is very rare that there is turn on for the post result chat for a sporting event, let alone one of that size. Usually, the supporters of the beaten team turn off and the size of the audience falls away. Contrast what happened on Saturday night to what happened after the Swans had whacked Geelong. The game itself was watched by an estimated 1.421 million people on Seven’s main channel and 7mate. For the post-game chat, the audience fell to average 767,000 — a drop of around 650,000, and a big difference to what we saw on Saturday night.
Yes and if you listen to rival supporters particularly those north of Melbourne they try to claim the billion $ TV rights is all due to them and that we survive on handouts. Given the centralised nature of income earned by the AFL ie TV rights money any funds we receive off them is only our fair distribution and the massive Victorian ratings on Sat night prove that. Look at the breakdown of ratings by state and it proves my point.

I can't like this enough. A croaky BT has given it everything, hands over to Darce, voice cracks, fantastic.
It's funny, I didn't shed any tears at the game, thought I would, just went nuts.
But I have gone a bit teary over things like this..

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/sports/gaggle-of-sydney-****boys-prepare-care-about-afl-grand-final/

Easton Wood to become third person to captain the Western Bulldogs in an AFL Grand Final
2326c3db0f65854fbe71ab51d18f7a19

GLENN McFARLANE, Herald Sun
18 minutes ago
Subscriber only
2326c3db0f65854fbe71ab51d18f7a19

STAND-IN skipper Easton Wood shook Charlie Sutton’s hands many times early in his career, and while he never knew Ted Whitten, couldn’t help but respect the legend surrounding the man whose name is forever attached the Western Bulldogs’ home base.

On Saturday Wood, who inherited the role after when Bob Murphy suffered his season-ending injury in Round 3, will join Sutton (1954) and Whitten (1961) as the only men in history to have captained the Bulldogs into a VFL-AFL Grand Final.

The magnitude of that achievement won’t really hit 27-year-old Wood until after the Grand Final showdown with Sydney as he too focused on the task at hand.

“That is something I will look back on a little later,” Wood said of the link he will now have with two of the Bulldogs’ most revered characters.

“At the moment I am just taking each moment as it comes.

8e60c070bc96fa6545d3b6aa37749ab0

Easton Wood celebrates last week’s win with fans. Picture: Wayne Ludbey
“But I was very fortunate to shake Charlie Sutton’s hands a number of times. He was fantastic, he always had a smile on his face and was a calming influence.

“I never met Ted Whitten, but I know all about him.”

Sutton, captain-coach of Footscray’s sole premiership in 1954, was a regular feature around the Whitten Oval before his death in 2012.

Whitten, who died in 1995, was the club’s captain-coach in the 1961 losing Grand Final to Hawthorn.

Wood said Murphy’s words of advice has helped him immeasurably during the challenges of a sometimes difficult but exciting season.

“I keep going back to the first thing Bob said to me,” Wood said. “He said ‘All you can do mate is be yourself, and that is always going to be enough’.

“If you are trying to be a person you are not, then you just end up separating yourself from the group, and you can trip yourself up.

“I’ve just been able to lean on those around us, including Bob. He is the captain of this group and he has been at the helm of this ship the whole time. He might be yelling out directions now and others are steering, but he remains our guiding influence.”

Murphy would almost be like a “23rd man” heading into the Swans’ clash, according to Wood, saying his importance to the group has been as strong as ever.

Wood said the calming effect of Murphy and senior coach Luke Beveridge had been so important during the club’s injury crisis through the season.

f324d433a4735de8ffb82b428a7a3a41

Easton Wood and Robert Murphy embrace after Saturday’s win. Picture: Getty Images
“The challenges we faced, particularly injury-wise, in a bittersweet kind of way has been one of the reasons why we are here now,” he said.

“All you can do with challenges is to meet them and you address them.

“It has become nothing more and nothing less. I feel like this group says this is the next challenge, and you just get on with it.

“Footy has been a place for a lot of yelling and shouting and high pressure situations. And obviously there is still an element of that, but (Luke) is a really calming influence on the group.

“It is about encouraging guys to explore their own capabilities, to back their own instincts and to trust in those.”

THE THREE BULLDOGS GRAND FINAL SKIPPERS

Charlie Sutton

Captain-coach

30 years and 175 days, 161st game

WON by 51 points, against Melbourne

Ted Whitten

Captain-coach

28 years and 59 days, 184th game

LOST by 43 points, against Hawthorn

Easton Wood

Stand-in Captain

27 years and 27 days, Saturday will be his 107th game

VERSUS Sydney

Win or lose I'm going to be a mess, I just hope I'm an ecstatic mess. Can't help but get emotionally involved for the boys, I hope they are taking it a lot better than us fans!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back