What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You honestly think that's an issue? And that he made a directive for the membership/marketing group to do that?
It's not that much of an issue. I just noticed and it got me thinking. Maybe that kid does go for the Bulldogs but I've seen most Sudanese kids playing soccer around my area. it was definetly done on purpose.

Can’t we all just get along? AFL.com.au now going on about how it’s been negative issue after issue since October 2016 at the Dogs :(
It's pretty true.
We've only lost things since the grand final win.
We immediately lose our premiership CHB. Lose our CEO, reports of over partying, play horribly during the year, Alberti "steps down" lose Stringer, reports of player unrest, lose our list manager, lose our head recruiter, no new assistant coaches.
In this time we've only brought in one objectively good appointment Ameet Bains. That's about it as far as good news.
Not a great position to be in only a year and a bit after winning a drought breaking flag.

It's pretty true.
We immediately lose our premiership CHB. Lose our CEO, reports of over partying, play horribly during the year, Alberti "steps down" lose Stringer, reports of player unrest, lose our list manager, lose our head recruiter, no new assistant coaches.
In this time we've only brought in one objectively good appointment Ameet Bains. That's about it as far as good news.
Not a great position to be in only a year and a bit after winning a drought breaking flag.

But we did clear our debt, winning economically but not socially.

It's pretty true.

Much the same happened after 1954. Players left to coach in the bush, internal disputes, star players not getting on (Box & Whitten), coach sacked mid 1957. That 1954 team was said to be the best in the competition in 1954 yet didn't go on with it and a new generation played in the next grand final 7 years later. It's a fair comment that the 2016 team was the best in the finals series but not the league. I wonder whether the same pattern will emerge, this talented list under achieves, a blip then another 50 years in the wilderness.

HOLY DENIED ENTRY BATMAN. I saw the front page of the HS today...Sue in tears..."Dog Fight!!!". I thought OMG what has happened what did Peter do to make our matriarch cry?

Denied entry over a misunderstanding at the gate? WTF? You made me buy the Herald Sun for this? Therein lieth the lesson. A misunderstanding yes, maybe some bitterness between powerful colleagues (cos this is the first time I've ever heard of that happening:eek:) but a DOG FIGHT?

Herald Sun you giveth but you mostly taketh away (my soul). May the fleas of one thousand camels infest your collective reg grundies.
And they used a picture of Alberti shedding tears of happiness on the front page to dramatic effect. Typical shit Murdoch journalism. Surprised they didn't get Rita Panahi to write a lefty conspiracy piece.
Wonder if Bob Murphy using his press pass would be able to get a few of his entourage through this entrance.
****ing Herald Sun.

Last edited:
It's pretty true.

Most of that is true of course, but Alberti had maxed her time on the board (4 terms), and the CEO was only temporary (or was it Stevensen?). We lost Lowe too?

It's pretty true.

It’s not losing someone when you get rid of them, most of the losses were choices from the club. There was a lot of losing people after 2014 which obviously didn’t matter. Given the only other two similar premiers struggled the year after it’s hardly surprising.

They’ve also brought in two top ten key position players, something that’s never happened at the club.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Much the same happened after 1954. Players left to coach in the bush, internal disputes, star players not getting on (Box & Whitten), coach sacked mid 1957. That 1954 team was said to be the best in the competition in 1954 yet didn't go on with it and a new generation played in the next grand final 7 years later. It's a fair comment that the 2016 team was the best in the finals series but not the league. I wonder whether the same pattern will emerge, this talented list under achieves, a blip then another 50 years in the wilderness.
Two years after the GF, we have lost Hamling, Boyd and Stringer. Our opponents from that day have lost 5 players.
We have Dale , Wallis, Adams etc. who didn't play that day, all capable players on the list. Crozier, Trengove, Naughton, Williams and Young are also available so on paper at least the list looks to have more depth.
Not exactly like 54 but the club needs to consolidate this year.

Two years after the GF, we have lost Hamling, Boyd and Stringer. Our opponents from that day have lost 5 players.
We have Dale , Wallis, Adams etc. who didn't play that day, all capable players on the list. Crozier, Trengove, Naughton, Williams and Young are also available so on paper at least the list looks to have more depth.
Not exactly like 54 but the club needs to consolidate this year.

Stop trying to be so logical you are killing the “sack Gordon cos he has never really done anything for the club” thread

Only thing that shits me is how this stuff gets into the media

And they used a picture of Alberti shedding tears of happiness on the front page to dramatic effect. Typical shit Murdoch journalism. Surprised they didn't get Rita Panahi to write a lefty conspiracy piece.
Wonder if Bob Murphy using his press pass would be able to get a few of his entourage through this entrance.
****ing Herald Sun.
Quality piece by Aaron Langmaid inside twice refers to 'Whitton' Oval as well :thumbsu:

So much negativity around. I'll take a different tack.

Over the last 5 or so years we have had a successful transition of leadership at the top, brought in a 2x AFL coach of the year, recruited former number 1 and 2 picks and drafted superbly with our prized #4. We've pioneered the woman's game and gained a licence, won a VFL premiership, eradicated our debt, captured the imagination of the country and won the AFL premiership.

Conversely our rivals..
Essendon have drugged their whole team, lost 2 coaches and a club legend has been disgraced.

Adelaide have rorted the system and lost draft picks in the process.

North have plummeted further into the hole of irrelevance that they fell into at the end of the 90s.

Brisbane have lost player after player and have been desperate for priority picks.

Collingwood have made almost every administrative mistake possible, moved on successful operators and brought in guys like Gubby Allen to undermine their already under siege coach. Drafted spuds on 4 year mega contracts and have a gun youngster all over the place.

St. Kilda have drafted a coke sniffing loose cannon and employed and then sacked Scotty Watters (seriously)

Sydney brought in 2 mega stars on big deals which literally cost them something that was giving them an edge. They haven't won anything since and one of them is now in retirement.

Carlton has done, well nothing. But hey, they're still coming I guess.

Melbourne has promised the world and delivered zero, losing millions to a coach who would constantly publicly blame his own players.

Gold Coast continue to be a mismanaged basket case.

Fremantle have gone from genuine contenders to wooden spooners, and have you seen them play? Imagine being a fan subjected to that shit every week!!

Port have forgotten how to play football, while their opinionated loud mouth president constantly undermines the coach and gleefully places a target on his back at every opportunity.

Of those left, we've arguably come from the furthest back so our effect size is much greater than say a Geelong (with all their extra funding) or a Richmond (with their much greater membership income).

So yes, we have made some mistakes, and yes, last year didn't go to plan but many others are going far worse.

The grass ain't always greener as they say.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So much negativity around. I'll take a different tact.

Over the last 5 or so years we have had a successful transition of leadership at the top, brought in a 2x AFL coach of the year, recruited former number 1 and 2 picks and drafted superbly with our prized #4. We've pioneered the woman's game and gained a licence, won a VFL premiership, eradicated our debt, captured the imagination of the country and won the AFL premiership.

Conversely our rivals..
Essendon have drugged their whole team, lost 2 coaches and a club legend has been disgraced.

North have plummeted further into the hole of irrelevance that they fell into at the end of the 90s.

Brisbane have lost player after player and have been desperate for priority picks.

Collingwood have made almost every administrative mistake possible, moved on successful operators and brought in guys like Gubby Allen to undermine their already under siege coach. Drafted spuds on 4 year mega contracts and have a gun youngster all over the place.

St. Kilda have drafted a coke sniffing loose cannon and employed and then sacked Scotty Watters (seriously)

Sydney brought in 2 mega stars on big deals which literally cost them something that was giving them an edge. They haven't won anything since and one of them is now in retirement.

Melbourne has promised the world and delivered zero, losing millions to a coach who would constantly publicly blame his own players.

Fremantle have gone from genuine contenders to wooden spooners, and have you seen them play? Imagine being a fan subjected to that shit every week!!

Port have forgotten how to play football, while their opinionated loud mouth president constantly undermines the coach and gleefully places a target on his back at every opportunity.

Of those left, we've arguably come from the furthest back so our effect size is much greater than say a Geelong (with all their extra funding) or a Richmond (with their much greater membership income).

So yes, we have made some mistakes, and yes, last year didn't go to plan but many others are going far worse.

Tack

It's pretty true.
Not quite reading events the same way you are mate, which is an odd situation as generally I'm on board. As a group of things that have happened, can see where you're coming from. In isolation the scenarios all have a pretty logical, pedestrian explanation.

I'd like to know the circumstances around McCartney/Dalrymple as that felt suss. Stringer hurt, but I had some insight into that scenario from a connection which brought me around that it wasn't a catastrophe. Alberti had done her time as far as my understanding goes.

Have you got a sniff of some stuff that might not be out in the open? Or just feeling some bad vibes on the back of this stuff?

a
It’s not losing someone when you get rid of them, most of the losses were choices from the club. There was a lot of losing people after 2014 which obviously didn’t matter. Given the only other two similar premiers struggled the year after it’s hardly surprising.

They’ve also brought in two top ten key position players, something that’s never happened at the club. especially the herald dump

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
agree lots of overdramatising an issue that is not all that important. papers have no news so they have to make storms in teacups.

Last edited:

Conversely our rivals..

****ing lemming.

Conversely our rivals..

POTY!

Conversely our rivals..

GWS. Have failed to make a GF on the back of a mountain of early draft picks

It's pretty true.

I can't wait for the real stuff to start.

You know, we might actually win a game. I know it's hard to believe, but it might happen.

Exactly my reading of it.
“Don’t u know who I am” kind of stuff.
If your name isn’t on the list proceed to the general admin gate - it not hard and it not something that needs to be reported in the paper.

I agree with the principle that all should be treated equally, the rules are the rules and apply equally to all and that the participants should not air their dirty laundry in public (Stringer's ex excluded by her own choice obviously) BUT

Susan Alberti has, by reports-
-given $4 million to the club
- had her construction company do work at the club at cost only
- served significant periods on the Board and as Vice President
- championed AFLW and our own women's team

imo cutting her a little slack on a minor issue is her due and Peter Gordon could have easliy had a quiet chat after the event to reach an ongoing suitable resolution. We shouldn't forget good friends as soon as they are no longer of use.

But we did clear our debt, winning economically but not socially.
You don't win economically for long if you don't fix the other stuff. They cashed in on the flag and fair enough, but its a return to the doldrums if this mis-management continues

Its been a horrible 12-14 months. Almost to the point of me thinking that Gordon is drinking a bit too much of his own bathwater, just like the players got called out for last year. Might be time for a new direction there and for him to go out on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back