What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Bulldogs forward Cody Weightman’s serial AFL issue raises its head once more​

Cody Weightman is in the spotlight once more after he was seen committing one of the game’s most frowned upon acts.

James Dampney

2 min read
May 28, 2023 - 12:43PM
784412620850fc2050f81e12dcb96671

AFL: Gold Coast has kept in touch with the top eight after an important win over the Western Bulldogs at TIO Stadium.

Western Bulldogs small forward Cody Weightman is in the spotlight once again for one of the most frowned upon acts in the AFL.

Since making his debut in 2021, Weightman has been accused a number of times for diving or staging to win free kicks.

The 22-year-old was at it again during Saturday night’s narrow seven-point loss to the Suns on the Gold Coast.

Herald-Sun journalist Jon Ralph tweeted a video of one incident, writing Weightman “has to get this out of his game”.
“Just milks too many free kicks. Totally invented contact.”

The tweet was generating plenty of comments, including from footy fan and former NBL coach Brendan Joyce, who replied “Agree ... Ralphy. 4th umpire just trying to be relevant!”

Joyce wasn’t the only one laying the blame on the umpires rather than Weightman.

“He’s known for staging so why are the umpires falling for it and paying the free kicks?” wrote one Twitter user in reply.

“Totally agree,” wrote another. “Has he been watching Lebron’s flopping in the NBA perhaps.”
Weightman, pick No.15 in the 2019 AFL draft, has kicked 74 goals in his 47 games to date and proven a regular threat in the Bulldogs’ forward line.

But his staging for free kicks has been a recurring issue for the young Bulldog.
Weightman was labelled “the boy who cries wolf” by Ralph and warned “he’s making life difficult for himself” by former Melbourne forward Garry Lyon in June last year for staging incidents in a game against Geelong.
Bulldog [PLAYERCARD]Cody Weightman[/PLAYERCARD] is in the spotlight again. Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Bulldog Cody Weightman is in the spotlight again. Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Another great key forward, three-time premiership winner Jonathan Brown, also weighed in on the issue at that time.

“The football gods will get you, more specifically the umpires will get you,” Brown said.
“Umpires are warned pre-game by what players have a tendency and Weightman has a tendency for accentuated contact. Umpires are aware of that.

“So what happens when he may have gotten a free kick there, the umpire has put the whistle away.”

Weightman has been quizzed about his diving in the past, stating his belief it was a skill, rather than a blight on the game.

“I think I do have an ability to draw free kicks and I think that’s a skillset rather than a ‘flop’ or whatever you call that,” Weightman said on SEN Breakfast in April last year.

“There are skills you can do, whether it’s taking the ball when you’re about to get tackled or ball control, so you don’t actually have possession and test out the defender if they’re going to grab it or not.

“There is a skill to it and people won’t see that, but I think there’s a deeper understanding that goes into it.

“I know there’s a lot of support out there for me as well which is super amazing, I’m very grateful for everyone who does see the work we put in and see us in a shining light rather than a dim light.”
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/what...e/news-story/e90f835b6e1f3849af1898033656b862

Western Bulldogs forward Cody Weightman’s serial AFL issue raises its head once more​

Cody Weightman is in the spotlight once more after he was seen committing one of the game’s most frowned upon acts.

James Dampney

2 min read
May 28, 2023 - 12:43PM
784412620850fc2050f81e12dcb96671

AFL: Gold Coast has kept in touch with the top eight after an important win over the Western Bulldogs at TIO Stadium.

Western Bulldogs small forward Cody Weightman is in the spotlight once again for one of the most frowned upon acts in the AFL.

Since making his debut in 2021, Weightman has been accused a number of times for diving or staging to win free kicks.

The 22-year-old was at it again during Saturday night’s narrow seven-point loss to the Suns on the Gold Coast.

Herald-Sun journalist Jon Ralph tweeted a video of one incident, writing Weightman “has to get this out of his game”.
“Just milks too many free kicks. Totally invented contact.”

The tweet was generating plenty of comments, including from footy fan and former NBL coach Brendan Joyce, who replied “Agree ... Ralphy. 4th umpire just trying to be relevant!”

Joyce wasn’t the only one laying the blame on the umpires rather than Weightman.

“He’s known for staging so why are the umpires falling for it and paying the free kicks?” wrote one Twitter user in reply.

“Totally agree,” wrote another. “Has he been watching Lebron’s flopping in the NBA perhaps.”
Weightman, pick No.15 in the 2019 AFL draft, has kicked 74 goals in his 47 games to date and proven a regular threat in the Bulldogs’ forward line.

But his staging for free kicks has been a recurring issue for the young Bulldog.
Weightman was labelled “the boy who cries wolf” by Ralph and warned “he’s making life difficult for himself” by former Melbourne forward Garry Lyon in June last year for staging incidents in a game against Geelong.
Bulldog Cody Weightman is in the spotlight again. Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Another great key forward, three-time premiership winner Jonathan Brown, also weighed in on the issue at that time.

“The football gods will get you, more specifically the umpires will get you,” Brown said.
“Umpires are warned pre-game by what players have a tendency and Weightman has a tendency for accentuated contact. Umpires are aware of that.

“So what happens when he may have gotten a free kick there, the umpire has put the whistle away.”

Weightman has been quizzed about his diving in the past, stating his belief it was a skill, rather than a blight on the game.

“I think I do have an ability to draw free kicks and I think that’s a skillset rather than a ‘flop’ or whatever you call that,” Weightman said on SEN Breakfast in April last year.

“There are skills you can do, whether it’s taking the ball when you’re about to get tackled or ball control, so you don’t actually have possession and test out the defender if they’re going to grab it or not.

“There is a skill to it and people won’t see that, but I think there’s a deeper understanding that goes into it.

“I know there’s a lot of support out there for me as well which is super amazing, I’m very grateful for everyone who does see the work we put in and see us in a shining light rather than a dim light.”
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/whatsapp://send?text=AFL season 2023: Western Bulldogs Cody Weightman slammed for staging in loss to Gold Coast Suns - https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-forward-cody-weightmans-serial-afl-issue-raises-its-head-once-more/news-story/e90f835b6e1f3849af1898033656b862

News Limited journalist writes story on Twitter comment fellow News Limited journalist makes which was commented on by a former little known NBL coach.

What a world. The Melbourne footy media's transformation into the human centipede continues.

Hopefully, Lachie Neale is under the same sort of scrutiny given he has feigned a head knock whilst being tackled on multiple occasions.

I’m embarrassed for Cody. I’m embarrassed to support a team that thinks what Cody is doing is fine. Surely Bevo or Bont tells him to lift his game? If not show him videos of both Libba’s, Dale Morris, Liam Picken, Luke Hodge, Lenny Hayes, Paul Kelly etc. These blokes never flinched in their football lives and have the respect that that type of football deserves. I’d drop him for a few weeks.

I’m embarrassed for Cody. I’m embarrassed to support a team that thinks what Cody is doing is fine. Surely Bevo or Bont tells him to lift his game? If not show him videos of both Libba’s, Dale Morris, Liam Picken, Luke Hodge, Lenny Hayes, Paul Kelly etc. These blokes never flinched in their football lives and have the respect that that type of football deserves. I’d drop him for a few weeks.
I'd don't know if I'd drop him (maybe) but I'd think about making him stand in front of the squad at the next team meeting and apologise to them for bringing them and the club into disrepute.

Are the media brining up Max King's double flops within 5 seconds because they were just as bad as Cody's.

I
I'd don't know if I'd drop him (maybe) but I'd think about making him stand in front of the squad at the next team meeting and apologise to them for bringing them and the club into disrepute.
If it’s nots first item on the agenda for the leadership group this morning, then leadership groups aren’t worth even having. This is exactly where peer leadership is needed. Leadership groups set standards and all premiership teams ‘buy in’ to those standards.

‘What are you doing?’: Alarming proof star recruit is ‘wallpapering over cracks’ of Dogs’ big ‘problem’​

859132_640x360_large_20230529065438.jpg

Jones papering over defensive cracks | 02:02

Ben Waterworth from Fox Sports@bjwaterworth
May 29th, 2023 8:30 am

Dual All-Australian David King has urged the Western Bulldogs to move star forward Aaron Naughton to the other end of the ground – for Liam Jones is “wallpapering over the cracks” of the team’s back six issues.

The Bulldogs have shown strong overall defensive improvement this season, jumping from 11th for average points against last year to third in 2023.

Jones, who the Dogs acquired as a free agent during last year’s trade period, has played a key role in that improvement, averaging 6.1 spoils and 3.8 intercept marks per game.

Jones on Saturday night against the Gold Coast Suns took 10 intercept marks – a number you “just don’t see in any given game”, according to King.
But King said the loss to the Suns in Darwin proved “the Dogs have got a problem” in defence.

859021_640x360_large_20230527232343.jpg

Suns shine over Dogs in top end | 02:32

“The reason why they’re such a good defensive unit … it’s Liam Jones. He’s been an unbelievable acquisition for this football club … and I think he’s wallpapering over the cracks of their back six,” King told Fox Footy’s First Crack.

“He’s a total star, his intercept work is just ridiculous, what he’s able to do in terms of supporting his teammates is terrific.”

Liam Jones left his man to stop Noah Anderson.Source: FOX SPORTS

King pointed to vision from Saturday night’s game of Jones taking an enormous risk and leaving direct opponent Ben King – Gold Coast’s biggest forward 50 threat – to thwart a Suns attacking foray and deny Noah Anderson a set-shot opportunity.

But the dual premiership Kangaroo then highlighted the struggles of Jones’ fellow Bulldogs defenders, who were playing “back shoulder” on their opponents.

One passage saw Tim O’Brien allow star Sun Jack Lukosius out the back of a contest to eventually score an easy goal from the goalsquare.

Tim O'Brien gave Jack Lukosius too much space.Source: FOX SPORTS

Then Ryan Gardner was exposed, giving Lukosius too much space twice, leading to two more scoring opportunities.

Ryan Gardner gave [PLAYERCARD]Jack Lukosius[/PLAYERCARD] too much space.
Ryan Gardner gave Jack Lukosius too much space.Source: FOX SPORTS

“He (Gardner) is half-asleep here, not ready for this ball to come back to the goalsquare. What are you doing? What are you guarding? You’re either guarding a likely target or your direct opponent,” King said.

Liam Jones is fighting tooth and nail for the rest of this game to not allow these sorts of options.”

Lukosius made the most of the space.
Lukosius made the most of the space.Source: FOX SPORTS

Naughton has been the Bulldogs’ leading total goalkicker across the past four seasons, which have included hauls of 47 of 2021 and 51 last year. He’s kicked a club-high 21 goals from 11 games so far this season.

But in the wake of the Bulldogs’ defensive struggles on Saturday night, King urged coach Luke Beveridge to trial Naughton – a star backman during his draft year who then played in the defensive 50 in his first AFL season in 2018 – in defence.

859028_640x360_large_20230527233754.jpg

Western Bulldogs Press Conference | 05:39

“They’re not going to win the flag, the Dogs, because of what they do in their offence and blowing teams away in their forward half,” King said.

“I think they have to have a look at Aaron Naughton and Liam Jones in the same backline at some point this year, just to see how it looks. Now it may not work, but at least have a look at it, because I think ‘Bevo’ is a great coach in isolation to what we’ve seen in 2016 when he was able to put a forward line together that didn’t have a big name to it and get goals from role players. I think he can do that again.

“Jamarra (Ugle-Hagan) is in really good form, (Rory) Lobb’s a quality target and then you’ve got the young kids that can just find their way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can somebody please post the article, to cheer us all up?
Apols - missed this one

Bulldogs ‘brothers’ Jamarra & Arty: Family, culture and who’s the better cook​

They’d never laid eyes on each other two years ago, but now Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and Arty Jones know what one another is thinking. They open up on family, culture and racism.

Lauren Wood

May 26, 2023 - 12:00PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/.../bb079c41c013336bdb5c2eb975ff6fe6#share-tools
Indigenous Sport Month | Jamarra Ugle-Hagan on who inspired him

Bulldogs young star Jamarra Ugle-Hagan on the Indigenous athlete that inspired him the most.

The knowing look often passes between Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and Arthur “Arty” Jones in a team meeting or match review.

The pair might have only met at The Kennel 18 months ago, but they know what one another is thinking.

Call it intuition, connection, extrasensory perception. They call it brotherhood.

Ugle-Hagan, the No.1 draft pick in 2020, had 12 months’ headstart at the Western Bulldogs before Jones arrived at the end of 2021 – all energy and exuberance.

The pair’s bond was immediate. Picture: Getty Images

The pair’s bond was immediate. Picture: Getty Images

“Ever since he walked through the door, we just connected straight away. That’s what we usually do, as Aboriginal boys. We just always connect, and you feel like home straight away once you’re with a family member,” Ugle-Hagan said.

“Even though he’s from WA and I’m from Warrnambool, it’s pretty crazy how quickly we connected.

“The first thing we do is go and play basketball, or cook up a feed, get a barbie on, get the family over and stuff. It’s just so easy to have conversation.

“It’s not a fake convo. We know what to talk about and laugh about, because we share each other’s languages and stuff and muck around and do heaps of things together.

“Ever since he’s walked through the door, it’s been a lot better for me and made me more of a role model, as well.”

They shared a front door that first year, as housemates with a former club staffer and his partner, and – just like brothers – are the first to rib on who needed to pick up the slack on the housework and how Jones played passenger in the first six months as he saved up for some wheels.

“He won’t say it, but I was a bit annoying,” Jones laughed, all bright eyes and teeth, as the one who was in charge of tunes and directions.

“It’s the little brother role, so I was playing it to the best of my ability. I’d annoy him.

“Whenever we’d hear something funny, we’d give each other a little side-eye. We know straight away we’re thinking the same thing.”

Ugle-Hagan lauds Jones’ natural ability to be himself – even though “he just never stops making noises” – in the face of the taxing AFL environment.
The pair are playing in their first Sir Doug Nicholls celebration. Picture: Michael Klein

The pair are playing in their first Sir Doug Nicholls celebration. Picture: Michael Klein

“That’s what I think everyone likes about him – he is himself and doesn’t care if anyone judges him. He just does whatever he wants,” he said.

Including in the kitchen, where Ugle-Hagan reckons his “little bro” could do with a few cooking lessons.

“He’s shocking,” he laughed bluntly, Jones’ reaction a full-body jolt.

“I’m better than him (in the kitchen).

“I can do the basics – I know what not to do.

“One time, he cooked tacos, and he didn’t even put anything in the mince. Just cooked the mince up. I was like, ‘No, you can’t be doing that’. But he’s come a long way. He put it up on his story ... I said, ‘Mate that looks shocking, take that down’.

“The only thing he could cook was a good steak – that was it.”

Jones, who has been cooking with gas since his round 3 debut, goes deep, fast.

“Coming in last year and living with him, he really early turned into a big brother,” Jones said.

“Then this year, I got to live out the dream of having a big brother teammate in round 3.

“That was a cherished moment. He’s a teammate but deep down, an older brother.”

KEEPING UP WITH THE JONESES

When Jones’s mum Margie calls him Arthur Blake, Jones knows there’s trouble.

“I’m named after my dad – so I’m Arthur Jones Jr,” he said.

“If it’s mum talking to me, she calls me Blake, which is my middle name. And then if I’m in trouble, she’ll hit me with Arthur Blake, and that’s when I walk, head down, ‘Yes mum’.

“Once we get to know each other, Arty is the way to go.”

The Mt Barker kid with family ties to the Krakouer brothers on his mum’s side started to shape his craft in the south of Western Australia before the plunge of moving to Perth was taken thanks to an opportunity with Wesley College.

As Margie – who stole the show in a post-match interview after her son’s debut – put it, uprooting to move wasn’t about sacrifice, but “an investment”.
“Because he’s our future,” she said.

“For all of us – our mob, our people, our family. He’s a role model to us all – he always has been, always will be.”

Jones, just 19, acknowledged that his path could have been very different.

There’s been struggles. “Dark times”, he said.
Arty Jones has been loving every minute of his AFL journey. Picture: Getty Images

Arty Jones has been loving every minute of his AFL journey. Picture: Getty Images

“Coming from a small country town, not many opportunities ... Mum was working three jobs,” he said.

“God works in mysterious ways and the coin flipped. We got the opportunity to move to Perth, and then from there I was playing footy for Claremont and luckily enough in my Year 11 pre-season, I got approached by Wesley and then got a scholarship to attend that school.

“Everything fell into line and I got offered to play the state game, and got invited to the combine, the draft and boom, bada boom, landed at the Dogs.”

He landed with a bang – a burst of life and zest.

It’s all for Margie and the crew, Jones said.

“I’m a family man, so my achievement is their achievement,” he said.

“Obviously I get to live out my dream, as a kid. But knowing that all the struggles that we went through as young ones, and all the struggles that I went through ... knowing that I can achieve something so great coming from a small country town, all my success goes to them and all my love and appreciation.

“One hundred per cent (everything could have been so different). Everything could have been over in the blink of an eye, but someone’s looking after me. Everything fell into line.”

Ugle-Hagan sees moments of one of the game’s most iconic Indigenous stars – in the joy.

“I love every time he gets the ball – you know he’s going to do something good or sick,” Ugle-Hagan said.

“He does remind me of the highlights of Cyril (Rioli) – as soon as he gets the ball, the crowd just gets so rapt.

“They get so filled up with joy and are so excited to see what he’s going to do with the ball. He’s a talented kid, he’s worked hard for it in the off-season, and it’s starting to come out in his game.”

BROTHERLY BOND

Jones was the first one Ugle-Hagan told about those horrific racist comments he endured in round 2.

There was a tear, Ugle-Hagan said, maybe two.

“We couldn’t do anything about it, but we spoke to the club and sorted everything out,” he said.

“He was always the first bloke I would go to and he would always come to me if he ever needed anything or had copped anything.”

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan left Ugle-Hagan a message in the week of the incident, that culminated in the young star lifting his jumper and pointing to his skin in round 3, but Ugle-Hagan doesn’t answer unknown numbers, laughing that he’d catch the boss at some point.

Jones had a front-row seat for the iconic moment.

“The comments to Jamarra in round 2 hurt him, but it hurts the community deeply,” Jones said.

Ugle-Hagan’s stance against racism rippled throughout the Indigenous community, Jones said. Picture: Getty Images

Ugle-Hagan’s stance against racism rippled throughout the Indigenous community, Jones said. Picture: Getty Images

“I was just happy I got to play in round 3 and see the fight back and him stamping and pointing to his skin – it was incredible.

“Sir Doug (Nicholls Round) gives us the opportunity for us to embrace our culture and shining that light a little bit brighter. Hopefully me and him can kick one goal this weekend. As our first Sir Doug rounds, obviously it will be a special one.”

Ugle-Hagan doesn’t read Instagram messages anymore.

There could be 100 positive ones in his inbox.

It’s not worth the risk.

“I just delete them straight away,” he said.

“I’ve turned my story replies off, as well. I prefer to just not cop it. It probably will (happen again).

“But I just don’t want to go down that track. That was the first time I’ve spoken up about those messages. But I’ve copped it I reckon every second game – there would be a bad message from a bot. And that’s just me saying that.

“There’s more Aboriginal players out there – girls and boys – and multicultural that are definitely getting at least one every game, but they just don’t say anything about it because it’s just become a normal thing (for them) or they’re just too ashamed to speak about it.

“When I spoke about it, I felt kind of embarrassed to even say that I copped this. I felt embarrassed to even walk into the club the next day. It was just a weird feeling. But I’ve done nothing (wrong).

“That’s why I got a bit emotional after the game, because it just hit me. Not because of my performance, but because it actually hurt. The comments were shocking. Mum felt the same – that’s her little boy, copping it. I just hope that no one else gets to feel that way.

“I don’t want that happening to any of my little brothers or hopefully my future kids. I’m glad I stood up for it. It’s made an impact.”

CULTURE CLUB

Jones lived on his family’s country for 15 years.

The Yamatji-Menang Noongar man has taught Ugle-Hagan – of the Peek Whurrong people – more about their Indigenous roots, which he said was a benefit of living under a shared roof.

“I’m still learning heaps of stuff, but to have Arty come over and learn his culture ... the way he dances and shakes his leg – he just makes you feel even more proud, because he loves it so much,” Ugle-Hagan said.

“He is so proud to be an Aboriginal man. My family, we both have different stories but grew up with the same stuff. We grew up in a small community, and were fortunate enough to get a scholarship to a school and get drafted to play our dream job. It’s just so exciting.

“To just be at this football club is incredible – they’ve supported me since I was 15 and gave me the opportunity to believe that I have a thing to do out of the community. It gave me a door to open – they believed in me and that was it.”

The tattoos on Ugle-Hagan’s left forearm tell his story. Picture: Michael Klein

The tattoos on Ugle-Hagan’s left forearm tell his story. Picture: Michael Klein

Ugle-Hagan carries his story with him – on his arm.

Ugle-Hagan’s left forearm tells his story, his hands holding a violet flower in tribute to his grandmother.

His four little brothers sit at a campfire, and his four “brothers” from Scotch College are there, too.

“There’s me leaving Fram (Framlingham, the Indigenous community he hails from outside Warrnambool) as emu’s footprints – I used to get called Emu Legs because I had skinny legs,” he said.

“That’s me arriving in Melbourne to go to Scotch and start my own journey, and then me coming back as a man, with man’s footprints, coming back home as a man.

“I’ve got Bunjil, the eagle, and then our totem, which is a Black Cockatoo. It’s pretty cool.”

Their path leads the pair to Darwin on Saturday night.

“Every step that I get to take, I acknowledge my people and family. It’s really deep to my heart,” Jones said.

“(To play in Darwin) pretty special, actually. I was very thankful and grateful that I could play at Ballarat, but this weekend in Darwin, that’s pretty spiritual and a different land that we get to both go on. I’m just looking forward to feeling the different vibes. It’ll be good.”

My goodness, the football media are bottom feeders. We win five games on the trot…crickets. We lose a game by a goal…Bulldogs are in trouble. I’m not sure that self-respect is really a concept in the journalism fraternity these days.
There is a complete lack of accountability. And they have their echo chamber set up better than our defence. How to call out this drivel?

Tbf 5-7 wins in a row isn’t that much compared to what the rest of the competiton has achieved in recent years. There’s only a few teams that have had worse winning streaks, Essendon and Gold Coast being among that group.

‘What are you doing?’: Alarming proof star recruit is ‘wallpapering over cracks’ of Dogs’ big ‘problem’​

859132_640x360_large_20230529065438.jpg

Jones papering over defensive cracks | 02:02

Ben Waterworth from Fox Sports@bjwaterworth
May 29th, 2023 8:30 am

Dual All-Australian David King has urged the Western Bulldogs to move star forward Aaron Naughton to the other end of the ground – for Liam Jones is “wallpapering over the cracks” of the team’s back six issues.

The Bulldogs have shown strong overall defensive improvement this season, jumping from 11th for average points against last year to third in 2023.

Jones, who the Dogs acquired as a free agent during last year’s trade period, has played a key role in that improvement, averaging 6.1 spoils and 3.8 intercept marks per game.

Jones on Saturday night against the Gold Coast Suns took 10 intercept marks – a number you “just don’t see in any given game”, according to King.
But King said the loss to the Suns in Darwin proved “the Dogs have got a problem” in defence.

859021_640x360_large_20230527232343.jpg

Suns shine over Dogs in top end | 02:32

“The reason why they’re such a good defensive unit … it’s Liam Jones. He’s been an unbelievable acquisition for this football club … and I think he’s wallpapering over the cracks of their back six,” King told Fox Footy’s First Crack.

“He’s a total star, his intercept work is just ridiculous, what he’s able to do in terms of supporting his teammates is terrific.”

Liam Jones left his man to stop Noah Anderson.Source: FOX SPORTS

King pointed to vision from Saturday night’s game of Jones taking an enormous risk and leaving direct opponent Ben King – Gold Coast’s biggest forward 50 threat – to thwart a Suns attacking foray and deny Noah Anderson a set-shot opportunity.

But the dual premiership Kangaroo then highlighted the struggles of Jones’ fellow Bulldogs defenders, who were playing “back shoulder” on their opponents.

One passage saw Tim O’Brien allow star Sun Jack Lukosius out the back of a contest to eventually score an easy goal from the goalsquare.

Tim O'Brien gave Jack Lukosius too much space.Source: FOX SPORTS

Then Ryan Gardner was exposed, giving Lukosius too much space twice, leading to two more scoring opportunities.

Ryan Gardner gave Jack Lukosius too much space.
Ryan Gardner gave Jack Lukosius too much space.Source: FOX SPORTS

“He (Gardner) is half-asleep here, not ready for this ball to come back to the goalsquare. What are you doing? What are you guarding? You’re either guarding a likely target or your direct opponent,” King said.

“Liam Jones is fighting tooth and nail for the rest of this game to not allow these sorts of options.”

Lukosius made the most of the space.
Lukosius made the most of the space.Source: FOX SPORTS

Naughton has been the Bulldogs’ leading total goalkicker across the past four seasons, which have included hauls of 47 of 2021 and 51 last year. He’s kicked a club-high 21 goals from 11 games so far this season.

But in the wake of the Bulldogs’ defensive struggles on Saturday night, King urged coach Luke Beveridge to trial Naughton – a star backman during his draft year who then played in the defensive 50 in his first AFL season in 2018 – in defence.

859028_640x360_large_20230527233754.jpg

Western Bulldogs Press Conference | 05:39

“They’re not going to win the flag, the Dogs, because of what they do in their offence and blowing teams away in their forward half,” King said.

“I think they have to have a look at Aaron Naughton and Liam Jones in the same backline at some point this year, just to see how it looks. Now it may not work, but at least have a look at it, because I think ‘Bevo’ is a great coach in isolation to what we’ve seen in 2016 when he was able to put a forward line together that didn’t have a big name to it and get goals from role players. I think he can do that again.

“Jamarra (Ugle-Hagan) is in really good form, (Rory) Lobb’s a quality target and then you’ve got the young kids that can just find their way.
I’m pretty sure he also said, earlier in the year, that we shouldn’t move Naughton back because he is an asset that’s hard to find.

Say Bevo moves him back, Jamarra gets a better defender blunting our forward line threat, they turn around and say…. Shouldn’t move Naughton out of the forward line. To be an analyst is an exercise in revisionism

Article on clubs Facebook page

One of the longest-standing AFL club partnerships is set to continue, with Victoria University (VU) and the Western Bulldogs renewing their allegiance for a further five years.

VU has boosted its support for the Bulldogs’ AFLW team, and secured naming rights to the soon-to-be redeveloped high-performance centre at Whitten Oval, as part of its continued commitment to elite sport.

The partnership extension was announced today and includes other significant opportunities for both Western Bulldogs staff and players, VU students and the western suburbs community.

VU and the Western Bulldogs originally joined forces in the 1980s, and their unity has been one of the Club’s most integrated and successful partnerships.

Speaking of the five-year renewal, VU Vice-Chancellor Professor Adam Shoemaker noted the deep trust between both organisations, and the benefits of the partnership.

“The relationship spans several tiers. The new VU High Performance Centre both strengthens the institution’s position as a leader in sport and offers a unique experience to embed VU students within the Western Bulldogs high performance team,” he said.

“In addition, we are excited to expand our Sports Science Program to include AFLW. VU is doing incredible research and advocacy for women in sport – it is a natural step for us to boost our support for the ALFW Western Bulldogs, both as a team and supporting players who are VU students.”

Western Bulldogs President Kylie Watson-Wheeler said the Club is excited about the future with the University.

“Everyone at the Western Bulldogs is extremely proud of our partnership with VU, both for the longevity of our relationship and the way we have grown our connection over the years,” she said.

“Our relationship with VU has many touchpoints across the Club, which have positively impacted our players, coaches, staff and the community of the west.

“VU’s elevated commitment to include increased support for our women’s football program is exciting for the Club, as we continue to lead the way in the AFLW space.

“We look forward to working alongside VU for the next five years and beyond, and we thank them for the successes our partnership has already delivered.”

The partnership agreement spans a number of opportunities in the areas of sponsorship, education offerings, student and staff development, player pathways, as well as expertise in sports science and remedial massage.

AFL player Aaron Naughton and AFLW player Elisabeth Georgostathis, both currently studying Bachelor of Education with VU, are 2023 Player Student ambassadors.

One of the more recent successes of the partnership has been the development of two short courses, a joint venture between VU and the Bulldogs, which focus on performance leadership and strength and conditioning.

I think it’s good that the partnership with VU has been extended.Not sure exactly what the perceived outcomes are to be but both parties seem happy. One of the results that I hope we achieve is that the performance of our strength and conditioning team will be superior to that of other clubs ( or at the very least not inferior). I assume you measure that by reduced injuries and maintenance of high performance late in games. Are we there yet?

Article on clubs Facebook page

One of the longest-standing AFL club partnerships is set to continue, with Victoria University (VU) and the Western Bulldogs renewing their allegiance for a further five years.

VU has boosted its support for the Bulldogs’ AFLW team, and secured naming rights to the soon-to-be redeveloped high-performance centre at Whitten Oval, as part of its continued commitment to elite sport.

The partnership extension was announced today and includes other significant opportunities for both Western Bulldogs staff and players, VU students and the western suburbs community.

VU and the Western Bulldogs originally joined forces in the 1980s, and their unity has been one of the Club’s most integrated and successful partnerships.

Speaking of the five-year renewal, VU Vice-Chancellor Professor Adam Shoemaker noted the deep trust between both organisations, and the benefits of the partnership.

“The relationship spans several tiers. The new VU High Performance Centre both strengthens the institution’s position as a leader in sport and offers a unique experience to embed VU students within the Western Bulldogs high performance team,” he said.

“In addition, we are excited to expand our Sports Science Program to include AFLW. VU is doing incredible research and advocacy for women in sport – it is a natural step for us to boost our support for the ALFW Western Bulldogs, both as a team and supporting players who are VU students.”

Western Bulldogs President Kylie Watson-Wheeler said the Club is excited about the future with the University.

“Everyone at the Western Bulldogs is extremely proud of our partnership with VU, both for the longevity of our relationship and the way we have grown our connection over the years,” she said.

“Our relationship with VU has many touchpoints across the Club, which have positively impacted our players, coaches, staff and the community of the west.

“VU’s elevated commitment to include increased support for our women’s football program is exciting for the Club, as we continue to lead the way in the AFLW space.

“We look forward to working alongside VU for the next five years and beyond, and we thank them for the successes our partnership has already delivered.”

The partnership agreement spans a number of opportunities in the areas of sponsorship, education offerings, student and staff development, player pathways, as well as expertise in sports science and remedial massage.

AFL player Aaron Naughton and AFLW player Elisabeth Georgostathis, both currently studying Bachelor of Education with VU, are 2023 Player Student ambassadors.

One of the more recent successes of the partnership has been the development of two short courses, a joint venture between VU and the Bulldogs, which focus on performance leadership and strength and conditioning.

Let’s use the Naughton ambassador role like all other clubs have to assist in player retention see Geelong amongst many others

Let’s use the Naughton ambassador role like all other clubs have to assist in player retention see Geelong amongst many others
Use the Essendon model from the early 2000s.

Donate money to the university and the university uses the money to pay players bills for them.

That's why an indigenous community centre paid for one indigenous Essendon player's pilots licence.

My goodness, the football media are bottom feeders. We win five games on the trot…crickets. We lose a game by a goal…Bulldogs are in trouble. I’m not sure that self-respect is really a concept in the journalism fraternity these days.

It's so pathetic. One week King will hail you as premiership favourites the next you'll struggle to make the eight. One week a player is All-Australian the next that player should be dropped.

King and the 'football media' deserve to be treated with contempt. They're like a kid on their birthday not knowing which toy to play with. One day this is their favourite toy, next day it's in the bin, next day they're crying asking Dad to get it out of the bin.

Then of course we have the issue of the week (staging). One jumps on then everyone jumps on and then of course we get the thoughts that nobody asked for from Kornes himself who was an epic stager (by the way, don't like staging, just pointing out the hypocrisy and hyperventilating that goes on in our reactionary media).

Then we have the great pontificator himself in Whateley who hauls King in to bestow us with his 'rankings'. Top three in ladder order then Freo at 4 (even though they're eighth on the ladder). This passes for content these days. Makes me long for the days when all we had was Talking Footy then nothing until The Footy Show. Just utter, utter garbage and space filler.

Personally I would be happy with dismantling the footy media and starting again. It's stuffed.

Last edited:
Eh, big media overreaction, he's playing for free kicks less this year compared to past seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back