What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

We have been solid since round 2 but let's be honest not dominant enough to merit a top 4 position. 5 in a row against teams we shouldve beaten convincingly with offensive side of our game still not functioning well is good but not great. We are rated exactly where we should be. Push this streak to GC, Geelong, Port pre bye and we can start talking contenders.
The Brisbane win is a great win and absolutely flogging Freo in Perth who have since turned the corner is a good win as well. 7-3 and nowhere near hitting our straps with a good injury list is the almost perfect position to be in. Importantly our defence looks legit, that's something that shouldn't waver depending on skill/accuracy etc... Our forward efficiency needs tweaking but even a marginal improvement in our cohesion will make us a major threat. Add to that a pretty good draw we have more than enough reason to be optimistic.

Optimistic agreed we have a good launch pad.
Blues 8-2 to start last season, saints 8-3 and ended out of the 8.

Beating the better teams through the year will show us where we stand truly.

I couldn’t care less that we’re not being spoken about extensively by the media. Would rather other teams keep getting hyped up, suits us. The only opinions that matter are our opinions as members/fans and the collective resolve and self-belief within the four walls of VUWO.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We have been solid since round 2 but let's be honest not dominant enough to merit a top 4 position. 5 in a row against teams we shouldve beaten convincingly with offensive side of our game still not functioning well is good but not great. We are rated exactly where we should be. Push this streak to GC, Geelong, Port pre bye and we can start talking contenders.
I disagree - if we leave out round 1 & 2 (which let’s be honest were outliers at this stage) our form matches up to any. Are we dominating? No but premiership sides rarely dominate in May, we’re winning which is what’s important.

Melbourne for example dropped games against Essendon and were kissed on the dick against Gold Coast, they should not have won that game. We haven’t dropped games like that - Adelaide were red hot according to everyone and we completely dismantled them. We dominated Carlton albeit for a late scare, but we beat them by a similar level to what both the Pies & Lions could manage (they both won by an extra goal compared to us).

We’ve beat Brissy, which Melbourne & Pies couldn’t do. The only clubs any of these teams have really dominated are WCE/Norf who we haven’t played yet. Otherwise they’re just winning games they should win uneventfully - as are us.

Ports form line actually reads the best having beaten all of Melbourne, Brissy & Us and yet to play Pies. We smashed them for 3 qtrs on their own shitheap but unfortunately let that one slip.

Next 3 weeks are crucial and we need to go at least 2-1, but as things stand right now our form line is easily comparable to the top 4 clubs (if not probably better than Melbourne who look shaky at best) and we deserve to at least be in that conversation - as things stand.

Can anyone work what our percentage is minus round 1/2? I’d guess it would be similar to the top 4, which is usually a good indication on top of just W/L. But of course typical dogs we’ve made it hard for ourselves by forgetting to turn up for two weeks, nothings ever easy 🙄

I disagree - if we leave out round 1 & 2 (which let’s be honest were outliers at this stage) our form matches up to any. Are we dominating? No but premiership sides rarely dominate in May, we’re winning which is what’s important.

Melbourne for example dropped games against Essendon and were kissed on the dick against Gold Coast, they should not have won that game. We haven’t dropped games like that - Adelaide were red hot according to everyone and we completely dismantled them. We dominated Carlton albeit for a late scare, but we beat them by a similar level to what both the Pies & Lions could manage (they both won by an extra goal compared to us).

We’ve beat Brissy, which Melbourne & Pies couldn’t do. The only clubs any of these teams have really dominated are WCE/Norf who we haven’t played yet. Otherwise they’re just winning games they should win uneventfully - as are us.

Ports form line actually reads the best having beaten all of Melbourne, Brissy & Us and yet to play Pies. We smashed them for 3 qtrs on their own shitheap but unfortunately let that one slip.

Next 3 weeks are crucial and we need to go at least 2-1, but as things stand right now our form line is easily comparable to the top 4 clubs (if not probably better than Melbourne who look shaky at best) and we deserve to at least be in that conversation - as things stand.

Can anyone work what our percentage is minus round 1/2? I’d guess it would be similar to the top 4, which is usually a good indication on top of just W/L. But of course typical dogs we’ve made it hard for ourselves by forgetting to turn up for two weeks, nothings ever easy 🙄
131.90%

Can anyone work what our percentage is minus round 1/2? I’d guess it would be similar to the top 4, which is usually a good indication on top of just W/L. But of course typical dogs we’ve made it hard for ourselves by forgetting to turn up for two weeks, nothings ever easy

Our percentage would be:
131.5 IF you take out weeks 1&2. OR 672/511.

With Oliver out for an extended time, Lions and Ports flakiness; we have a shot at top 4 or even top 2.

It’s really up to us. Keep improving our forward line cohesion; concentrate on defensive setups around CBs; get our better users the ball to deliver inside 50; keep our players focused on defending in the midfield; and maintain a healthy list.

Optimistic agreed we have a good launch pad.
Blues 8-2 to start last season, saints 8-3 and ended out of the 8.

Beating the better teams through the year will show us where we stand truly.
Both those teams ended up with 12 and 11 wins in total, respectively.

From that point of the season they were basically only winning a game a month which I would hope we are a long way from doing.

Collingwood smashed Port in round two...

And I wouldn't say we smashed Port in the first three quarters. If I look at it impartially, my thoughts are we would have stolen that match had we won. I thought Port were the better team up until 3/4 time but they had wasted some easy opportunities in front of goal.

Yes, we had the opportunity to win, and we did well to stay with them for as long as we did... I take comfort knowing they're a very good team, especially at home, so staying with them for as long as we did doesn't mean it's panic stations.

We can atone for that in 17 days... Let's bloody hope so.

Collingwood smashed Port in round two...

And I wouldn't say we smashed Port in the first three quarters. If I look at it impartially, my thoughts are we would have stolen that match had we won. I thought Port were the better team up until 3/4 time but they had wasted some easy opportunities in front of goal.

Yes, we had the opportunity to win, and we did well to stay with them for as long as we did... I take comfort knowing they're a very good team, especially at home, so staying with them for as long as we did doesn't mean it's panic stations.

We can atone for that in 17 days... Let's bloody hope so.
Whoops your right I missed that one…

Smashed was probably too strong a word but I reckon we were comfortably the better side across the night and the loss should have never happened. To be it simply if Bruce doesn’t go off we win that game, Idk maybe my memories giving up these days though 😂

Thanks - so there ya go, a lot of people have been complaining that we’re not winning by more but our % across the season is as good as any, and we haven’t had the luxury of playing the 2 basket cases yet either.

Unfortunately rounds 1 & 2 still do count for the season 😡 but I’m comfortable to have us firmly in the rung just below Pies alongside Lions, Melb & Port

Whoops your right I missed that one…

Smashed was probably too strong a word but I reckon we were comfortably the better side across the night and the loss should have never happened. To be it simply if Bruce doesn’t go off we win that game, Idk maybe my memories giving up these days though 😂
Funny I was of the same thought and looked at the match worm and was surprised to see we didn’t take the lead until halfway through the 3/4. My memory of that fame was that we WERE in it up to our eye balls and managed to inch ahead only to give them a sniff and then momentum that ultimately cost us the 4 points.

Funny I was of the same thought and looked at the match worm and was surprised to see we didn’t take the lead until halfway through the 3/4. My memory of that fame was that we WERE in it up to our eye balls and managed to inch ahead only to give them a sniff and then momentum that ultimately cost us the 4 points.
Yeah 100% I checked the worm too when I was called on it and it surprised me, was not how my memory of the night went 😂

I couldn’t care less that we’re not being spoken about extensively by the media. Would rather other teams keep getting hyped up, suits us. The only opinions that matter are our opinions as members/fans and the collective resolve and self-belief within the four walls of VUWO.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Except that the low media profile adversely affects our ability to attract new members and supporters (especially children.) Why do the big clubs remain big clubs? Because they have a huge media market share compared to the smaller clubs. It's a self-perpetuating cycle that hurts clubs like ours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Except that the low media profile adversely affects our ability to attract new members and supporters (especially children.) Why do the big clubs remain big clubs? Because they have a huge media market share compared to the smaller clubs. It's a self-perpetuating cycle that hurts clubs like ours.

That's definately part of it, but the bigger clubs inherit a lot of their supporters through offspring and the longer the family line, the more supporters. They would retain more than drop off. So the media pander to the bigger audience. It stinks, but that's what they do. Would be nice if they gave us some press - we're not getting much ATM. I don't mind going under the radar, but I'm sure opposition aren't that stupid (i.e. they rate us).

I think we've done a great job membership wise, but I just hope there's no more than 20% of those memberships that are handouts to schools & kids sports clubs. I don't mind them doing that, I'd just like to know where we are at exactly.

That's definately part of it, but the bigger clubs inherit a lot of their supporters through offspring and the longer the family line, the more supporters. They would retain more than drop off. So the media pander to the bigger audience. It stinks, but that's what they do. Would be nice if they gave us some press - we're not getting much ATM. I don't mind going under the radar, but I'm sure opposition aren't that stupid (i.e. they rate us).

I think we've done a great job membership wise, but I just hope there's no more than 20% of those memberships that are handouts to schools & kids sports clubs. I don't mind them doing that, I'd just like to know where we are at exactly.
Interestingly, I have a young neighbour, think he's about 11 or so, who comes comes from a long line of rabid Carlton supporters. He's come to the Dogs on the back of a generational player and a blonde adonis .... much to his father's horror.

So perhaps the personalities within a team and the style of play have as much pulling power with the young as anything. We're fortunate to be pretty well stocked with young and appealing players, out there ones (Libba) and of course the Generational One.

As if the Pies needed it, they have an interesting and appealing team and a great style to watch. They're likely consolidating and growing their membership right now if the above holds true.

Also, the younger ones are probably/(hopefully for their sakes) not watching the garbage that passes for footy analysis and the barracking hosts or reading the HUN. Their influences will come from the playground as much as home these days and the social media that enlightens and informs the same.

Last edited:
Just listening to Sports Day on SEN and Daniel Hoyne from Champion Data and he made some really great comments about how much of an impact Liam Jones has had on the Dogs. He even thinks that his impact on the team in his first season is the greatest of any player over the last 20 years or so.

This is based off him changing us from being the easiest team to score against once the ball goes inside 50 last season to this year being the second hardest team to score against once the ball goes inside 50.

Last season we were the worst one on one defensive team in the competition, this year we are the 4th best. Liam Jones has been in 34 one on one marking contests so far and has lost only 2 of them! That is exceptional.

He really hasn’t been mentioned much in terms of All Australian defensive positions but he really should be getting talked about along with Ed Richards as being at an All Australian level. He has been unbelievable and I also can’t remember a better pick up and literally for nothing.

He is the Gandalf of our backline standing there saying “You shall not Pass!!”

Media reporting Dangerfield not due back until after Geelongs bye. Good for us.
Looks like the media can’t get their story straight.

Captain Patrick Dangerfield is edging closer to a return to full fitness but won’t be available this weekend and is aiming to return against the Western Bulldogs in round 12.

The Brownlow medallist has missed the past two games against Richmond and Fremantle after injuring his hamstring against Adelaide in round eight.

Interestingly, I have a young neighbour, think he's about 11 or so, who comes comes from a long line of rabid Carlton supporters. He's come to the Dogs on the back of a generational player and a blonde adonis .... much to his father's horror.

So perhaps the personalities within a team and the style of play have as much pulling power with the young as anything. We're fortunate to be pretty well stocked with young and appealing players, out there ones (Libba) and of course the Generational One.

As if the Pies needed it, they have an interesting and appealing team and a great style to watch. They're likely consolidating and growing their membership right now if the above holds true.

Also, the younger ones are probably/(hopefully for their sakes) not watching the garbage that passes for footy analysis and the barracking hosts or reading the HUN. Their influences will come from the playground as much as home these days and the social media that enlightens and informs the same.

Sadly, I can raise you 2 Carlton supporters for your 1. A sibling of mine was so disenchanted with his traumatic 'Dogs upbringing that he told his 2 offspring to go barrack for Carlton, lol!! They did, but they aren't interested in footy - so the dollars lost is nil. If they were, he would have caused the same trauma he went through growing up.

Sadly, I can raise you 2 Carlton supporters for your 1. A sibling of mine was so disenchanted with his traumatic 'Dogs upbringing that he told his 2 offspring to go barrack for Carlton, lol!! They did, but they aren't interested in footy - so the dollars lost is nil. If they were, he would have caused the same trauma he went through growing up.
I think my one in the hand is better than your 2 in the bush;)

Looks like the media can’t get their story straight.

Captain Patrick Dangerfield is edging closer to a return to full fitness but won’t be available this weekend and is aiming to return against the Western Bulldogs in round 12.

The Brownlow medallist has missed the past two games against Richmond and Fremantle after injuring his hamstring against Adelaide in round eight.
****in Channel 9 is the report i was going on, who bloody knows at this point.

i would think winning a VFL premiership with Footscray, would bring good memories and create bonds that would have been hard to break. Also, no finals or very few at Carlton, the thought of playing finals would have been very appealing.

Remove this Banner Ad

What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back