List Mgmt. What to do with picks 7 & 8

What do you think we should be doing with picks 7 & 8?

• Go to the draft with both picks and select best possible players

Votes: 30 20.5%
  • Go to the draft with both picks and select best possible midfielders

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • Trade one pick for a future first and take one pick to the draft

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • Trade one pick for an A grade player and take one pick to the draft

Votes: 55 37.7%
  • Upgrade both picks to a top 3 pick and go to the draft

Votes: 16 11.0%
  • Trade both picks for two A grade players

Votes: 13 8.9%
  • Other (please elaborate)

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretend you are Matty Finnis for a moment. You've called a meeting of your recruitment department and you are just about to organise your crew to work furiously toward a singular goal. What do you want to see happen in 2017 trade, free agency and draft period.

This exercise is not about identifying which players are an ideal fit for the club, we have other threads for that. It's about trying to find out what the majority is leaning towards as a draft and trading strategy.

Think it carefully through before you choose as you will not be able to change your choice once cast.

Go Saints.

Last edited:

Hard to say without knowing who's available. If someone like a Fiorini or Miller are up for grabs then you take the more sure thing, if not go to the draft.

I don't think many would argue that we don't have the makings of a premiership midfield yet so if we can find a safer bet I think we should take it.

Hard to say without knowing who's available. If someone like a Fiorini or Miller are up for grabs then you take the more sure thing, if not go to the draft.

I don't think many would argue that we don't have the makings of a premiership midfield yet so if we can find a safer bet I think we should take it.
Miller a slow small inside mid who doesn't rack up big numbers? No thanks

I would keep pick 7. and either trade 8 and a player to North for their Pick 4, or trade 8 to Brisbane for picks 12 and 18, use 12 and a player for Norths pick 4, trade Hickey and a 4th for a 2nd, go to the Draft with 4, 7, 18. a 2nd, and 43. Use 43 for Liam Ryan or Tim Kelly.

Won't get an A grade player with either of those picks, but it can help deliver a decent package to the club.

Take one of the picks to the draft.

Trade for futures. Lynch will be OOC, Kelly would have 1 year left, just more flexibility in general to go after bigger players next year knowing full well we won't be able to get anyone of significance this year

Any update re String?
No real developments that I know of, St Kilda and Essendon are still the only clubs with offers in front of him. More money at Essendon over 3 years, less money offered by St Kilda but a longer contract in front of him. A lot of water to go under the bridge. He'd be keen to go to Geelong if they actually had interest in him, which at this point they are still yet to indicate so is exploring all options. Location obviously a big factor as well as he has two kids.

I would guess, based on previous dealings, that we'd be more happy to give up pick 8 for him than Essendon would pick 11 as Dodoro is the most stubborn and stingy bloke going around when it comes to trading, but as far as what a trade would actually look like goes, I have no idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was pretty keen to trade up in the draft but I'm warming to guys like Stephenson and Coffield who could fall around those picks.

I'd probably only want to trade up to pick 2 (Gold Coast) if we got a player instead of a second round pick. Adam Saad would be great. It that's probably asking too much. 2 and Aaron Hall probably more likely.

Got a feeling we will use one of our picks on a Gaff type though.

Won't get an A grade player with either of those picks, but it can help deliver a decent package to the club.

Take one of the picks to the draft.

Why won't you get an A-grade player with those picks?
Who are the A-grade players and what picks did they come from?

Take both to the draft.

Who is to say that who is available at 7/8 will not be the new Martin or Danger. Sure they may take a year or two to develop but 2020 is three years away.

I m all about maximising our return and the best way is via the draft. Contracted or out of contract players way to expensive to my mind and the best bet is the draft with some good research beforehand.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

It´s likely those picks will end up 8 & 9 if Rockcliff leaves. I don´t know if there is any academy players that could be bid on.
Package the 2 picks to Brisbane to get Rayner. Pick up Rockcliff as an FA. Trade our second and a player to move up the draft.
Good trade / draft period for the Saints.

No real developments that I know of, St Kilda and Essendon are still the only clubs with offers in front of him. More money at Essendon over 3 years, less money offered by St Kilda but a longer contract in front of him. A lot of water to go under the bridge. He'd be keen to go to Geelong if they actually had interest in him, which at this point they are still yet to indicate so is exploring all options. Location obviously a big factor as well as he has two kids.

I would guess, based on previous dealings, that we'd be more happy to give up pick 8 for him than Essendon would pick 11 as Dodoro is the most stubborn and stingy bloke going around when it comes to trading, but as far as what a trade would actually look like goes, I have no idea.

Cheers Nang. I find it amusing that we've hardly had a mention in the media about our interest in Stringer. I think even Richmond got a mention which is bewildering consider where their cap is at. The media do love linking players to sexy clubs.

My read on it is despite his preference being Geelong, they don't have the trade currency nor the cap currency to satisfy the Dogs or give Stringer the type of deal he would get elsewhere.

Essendon do look like a good fit having a decent pick to trade with & after Dodoro haggles up until 5 minutes before trade deadline could get a deal done.

As I've mentioned in another thread, it can't be taken lightly the fact that the Dogs have essentially given up on him. I get Jake is young, immature & there's a chance he grows as a person however it's difficult not to think back to the Lovett situation. Around that time we had brilliant leaders at the club & all have now departed. I'm not confident in Jake nor am I confident in our clubs current leadership & support network. Obviously coming from an outsiders POV so happy to be corrected by an itk.

So if it's draft vs Stringer I'm in draft camp.

Last edited:

Stringer's contract should also include a minder, at least for the first season. I'm very wary of having this blow up in our faces, once again.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. What to do with picks 7 & 8

Back