Prediction When is the soonest we can expect to go deep in finals?

What year can you see us starting to contend?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuinely dont think itll take that one if/when he gets the flick.
It's a bit hit-or-miss as to whether a new coach takes just one or two years to make finals. McRae, Goodwin, Kingsley, Lyon, Voss, and a bit further ago Beveridge and Hinkley all examples of such, while it took Fagan/Mitchell/Longmuir/Cameron three seasons to do so

It's a bit hit-or-miss as to whether a new coach takes just one or two years to make finals. McRae, Goodwin, Kingsley, Lyon, Voss, and a bit further ago Beveridge and Hinkley all examples of such, while it took Fagan/Mitchell/Longmuir/Cameron three seasons to do so
I dont think we can win the flag or anything, but we could easily make the 8.

I don't think our list is that far off it now, talent-wise. Presumably we'll top up the midfield in this draft with Draper or whoever. Then the only major deficiencies I see are a key forward to replace Tex (whether that's Welsh or Murray or somebody else we need to bring in I don't know) and a half decent ruckman, and even that position is a bit of a luxury if you've got the rest of the pieces in place around it.

With a decent coach who makes smart selection calls and reasonable luck with injuries we could jump to a semi or prelim the first year. So the question becomes, when is the first year? Probably too late to sack Nicks now, so 2026 or 2027 at the earleist.

I think the ones who have scouted our players we have drafted need to go..
I wonder how Nicks would be if he had Butters instead of Jones or if we had drafted Tim English or Sam Powell-pepper over Galluci etc etc.
Our list is good enough to be making finals, regardless of whether we picked Jones or McHenry.

Hamish wanted English BTW.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should be aiming to go deep in 2025.

Looking at our strengths - our forward line should be very very good in 2025.

TT will have another offseason to get stronger and should be set to rip the league apart. He was due a breakout, but obviously his injury limited him. When he came back he was top 20 for contested marks, 10th in the AFL for goals, and 6th for Marks inside 50. He should be a 50+ goal dominant forward in 2025. FOG proved to be a very good 2nd forward in 2024 kicking 40 goals and should continue to grow. We have very good secondary players in Rachele / Keays and ANB will be a massive upgrade on Murphy. Throw in Tex as the wily vet and its a top 3 forward line in the AFL.

Our backline should be very good as well.

We are young, but settled. Murray will be another preseason removed from his ACL. Butts/Keane are very serviceable as 2nd KPD. Worrell is a great 3rd tall and Max could be bloody anything. Hinge / Cumming should provide plenty of run off half back. Lots of versatility here.

Our midfield can be competitive with Crouch, Dawson, Rankine, Soligo and hopefully Draper. If we can add Peatling it will be a big lift. Not a great midfield by any means, but should be competitive.

If we can get a massive spike from one or two of Curtin/Nankervis/Pedlar then thats an added bonus.

We 100% have the list.

Our list is good enough to be making finals, regardless of whether we picked Jones or McHenry.

Hamish wanted English BTW.

This is one of the biggest cop outs to defend Hamish by his superfan Bicks.

Selecting English with pick 16 would have been 100% the wrong decision with where our list was at.

At the 2016 draft we had just finished 5th, missing the top 4 by percentage. We had publicly declared that our window was opening up in 2017 and we had a 28 year old Sauce who was in his absolute prime and finished 4th in the B&F in 2017. We also had ROB on the main list as backup and Paul Hunter on the rookie list as emergency depth.

Selecting a long term ruckman to develop with a first round pick would have been absolutely stupid and the decision to select a non-ruck man was correct.

The issue was that Hamish selected bust Galluci - rather than Berry / SPP / Bolton.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction When is the soonest we can expect to go deep in finals?

Back