Analysis Where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premierships are the name of the game - and i just look at the past decade as an utter waste

He has 2 knee reconstructions can you believe it

That 3rd qtr of his - ive never seen anything like it - and he has tidied up his kicking - can put the boot right through it on the run now

The thing is too, is that he's far from the perfect athletic specimen as a ruckman. If anything he's a little gangly. But just a wonderful footballer. Oliver's the same, far from the best athlete, but 100% natural footballer. Maybe there's something to that.

This years draft really should be seen as the starting point. A couple of players aside (Henry and Holmes), we have a lot of work to do. It will take 5 years from now (if we get it right).

This will get a few laughs but I'll just advise to keep an eye on Zuthrie. There's a few things I saw in the prelim, just little things, that suggest we are going to have a player on our hands after another preseason and some muscling up.

Prediction: He'll end up better than his brother.

This will get a few laughs but I'll just advise to keep an eye on Zuthrie. There's a few things I saw in the prelim, just little things, that suggest we are going to have a player on our hands after another preseason and some muscling up.

Watched the replay again (don't ask why), and got burned badly by Pickett twice - fair enough - but otherwise was far, far from our worst. Does need to get stronger now though, he's had long enough. There were plenty worse than him though.

The thing is too, is that he's far from the perfect athletic specimen as a ruckman. If anything he's a little gangly. But just a wonderful footballer. Oliver's the same, far from the best athlete, but 100% natural footballer. Maybe there's something to that.
This wont be a popular opinion, but for me as a fan, premierships aren't really the name of the game. I enjoy my weekend a lot more when the cats win a game, and have thoroughly enjoyed the last 10 years without winning the last game of the season. As a fan I'd much rather enjoy that winning feeling most weekends than say finishing outside the top 8 for 4 years in a row and winning in the fifth. Shoot me but I just don't care that much about trophies in the cabinet.

This wont be a popular opinion, but for me as a fan, premierships aren't really the name of the game. I enjoy my weekend a lot more when the cats win a game, and have thoroughly enjoyed the last 10 years without winning the last game of the season. As a fan I'd much rather enjoy that winning feeling most weekends than say finishing outside the top 8 for 4 years in a row and winning in the fifth. Shoot me but I just don't care that much about trophies in the cabinet.
Mediocrity….🤮🤮🤮🤮

I felt similarly over 2012-2016, but our dour defensive game has killed me. There are losses I have enjoyed more that our wins this year against Collingwood, Carlton and the Roos.

I think having generational players such as Taylor Hawkins, Selwood and Danger the club clearly felt they could bolster around them to ultimately get another flag.

I think our poor luck our choice in the early picks such as Cockatoo, Lang, Thurlow and Smedts and maybe Jordan Clark has brought in some way to this point. If a couple of those guys turned into what we needed perhaps our list would have been a little more balanced.

Lets look at the coaching staff

Chris Scott: Probably should walk away but due to the reduction in soft cap not sure we can afford to do it, really needs to change game plan as what he advocates not working in finals.

Matthew Scarlett: Has been cruising without much of a hiccup until the last 7 weeks and found he didn't have the talent to cover the loss of form and Stewart, if he's to continue he really needs to work closely on Kruger and De Konning.

Corey Enright: when looking at the Cats midfield does seem to be a problem in terms of quality of possession from stoppages and clearances and was found out a little against Melb with set up, but how much was it the players being re-active and ball hunting not sure, like to see Boris take over the VFL team.

Nigel Lappin: One of Scott's right-hand men and not really sure as his role with the club, has been at the club while but if we were to move Scott on either promote to coach or let go as a cost-cutting measure.

Shane O'bree: Again 2 covid interrupted VFL season hasn't done a lot wrong but feel it's time to move him to mids coach or out of the club.

Matthew Knights: Another of Scott's right-hand men has been with the club for a while but think it's time to move him on and try someone new.

Shaun Grigg: First year as a development coach very hard to gauge how well he has done just yet, proof will be in the kids next year.

The club has options to either back Scott or ask him to step aside and while any decision will be heavily influenced by the soft cap, I do believe some changes need to be made, but the major worry outside looking in is we don't have a natural successor to Scott.

Did you experience the 07-11 era. Did you experience the decades before that? If you did and you feel like that then good luck to you.... and id ask you to never go near a competitive environment or comp as you will be stomped but you probably have a healthy way of looking at sport and life. You are far too level headed and sensible for a high intensity sport enviorment... that you can find a serenity for being a also ran , good luck for you.

For me Id say I'm different now than I was when I was younger. Then it was all about winning...and winning the big one. I still do care but its tempered now with a how we do it. I dont care about winning near as much week to week..when winning is all we chase and not how we win. It's a very different game these days.

Do you sit there and watch the game?... or just tune in for the result, and tick off the win and continue on in your cloud of enjoyment?

Im not being negative, I'm a bit jealous , I have never been able to do that , never been able to reduce the game to a mcdonalds type of full stomach, and not care about the quality of the meal. Not care about the nutrition. No care about the heartburn. Before our premierships I thought I could not care that much about anything other than winning, but now I find myself hardly willing to endure our games , and probably happy to just check the result at the end..and really not be that fussed about losing, as I feel like , a lot of the time, we have mostly already lost.

They have to start playing young players

Crameri ( the ex Donn/ WB ) when he joined - he said it was the Cats or nothing - no other club showed any interest in him at all

He would have played 8-10 games for Geel - just a total waste - why not play a younger player

Watched First Crack last night - that 3rd qtr Melb just ripped the ball out of the centre - they have got youth ( and also to be fair they have had a hell of alot of high draft picks - plus all the burnt ones - Trengove - Scully - Watts - so it is about blooody time they came good as a team )

But Geel have to try some youth with a bit of run - sick of watching these slow half broken down crocks

Lets look at the coaching staff

Chris Scott: Probably should walk away but due to the reduction in soft cap not sure we can afford to do it, really needs to change game plan as what he advocates not working in finals.

Matthew Scarlett: Has been cruising without much of a hiccup until the last 7 weeks and found he didn't have the talent to cover the loss of form and Stewart, if he's to continue he really needs to work closely on Kruger and De Konning.

Corey Enright: when looking at the Cats midfield does seem to be a problem in terms of quality of possession from stoppages and clearances and was found out a little against Melb with set up, but how much was it the players being re-active and ball hunting not sure, like to see Boris take over the VFL team.

Nigel Lappin: One of Scott's right-hand men and not really sure as his role with the club, has been at the club while but if we were to move Scott on either promote to coach or let go as a cost-cutting measure.

Shane O'bree: Again 2 covid interrupted VFL season hasn't done a lot wrong but feel it's time to move him to mids coach or out of the club.

Matthew Knights: Another of Scott's right-hand men has been with the club for a while but think it's time to move him on and try someone new.

Shaun Grigg: First year as a development coach very hard to gauge how well he has done just yet, proof will be in the kids next year.

The club has options to either back Scott or ask him to step aside and while any decision will be heavily influenced by the soft cap, I do believe some changes need to be made, but the major worry outside looking in is we don't have a natural successor to Scott.

Sorry but I don't really understand the above review of Enright

Knights is our midfield coach, Enright is our forward line coach

I think there will be some difficult conversations at the club over the coming week.

I can see there being major differences of opinion over list strategy and the assistant coaches.

I expect the board and New CEO are going to want to be more aggressive on these two topics than what Scott wants.

Crameri ( the ex Donn/ WB ) when he joined - he said it was the Cats or nothing - no other club showed any interest in him at all

He would have played 8-10 games for Geel - just a total waste - why not play a younger player

Watched First Crack last night - that 3rd qtr Melb just ripped the ball out of the centre - they have got youth ( and also to be fair they have had a hell of alot of high draft picks - plus all the burnt ones - Trengove - Scully - Watts - so it is about blooody time they came good as a team )

But Geel have to try some youth with a bit of run - sick of watching these slow half broken down crocks

Didn't injury prevent him from additional games? If I recall correctly, in the last couple of games he was really starting to show something

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knights to be first out the door I am afraid. Our set up at stoppages with Parfitt missing was absolutely woeful, it was like we just left a big hole where Parfitt normally sits and forgot to even ask anyone to play his role.

The same thing happened earlier in the year v Melbourne too. I had too much faith that they would fashion a good outcome at stoppage with Parfitt missing.

You are right for some reason I thought we swapped Boris to the midfield last year, but still would like him to be the VFL coach to progress his future and if it's true Eagles wants Knights he is free to go.

Waiting for the numpties to tell us that drummond is wrong, and making top 4 and being flogged in finals is the real measurement of success 🙄

Waiting for you to understand that we ‘numpties’ (God, how ****ing dumb do you have to be to enjoy being in the mix year after year, hey) dislike losing finals every f***ing bit as much as you do and when the goal is to win the whole thing and we don’t, yes we understand we have fallen short of that. Just because we have an ability to see that ‘ok we didn’t get there but we got close so that’s better than being a basket case in the bottom four and for now it might be an idea not to just completely turn the place upside down looking for that extra step to be taken’ doesn’t mean we don’t all want the necessary decisions to be made to change and try a different route or whatever.

He’s improved a lot and he’s actually got some footy nous. Those first dozen or so games where he was playing primarily one on one against tall forwards he looked like an under 10s kid playing under 14s or something. When he’s playing in a less one on one role I think he has some genuine smarts and skills.

Knights to be first out the door I am afraid. Our set up at stoppages with Parfitt missing was absolutely woeful, it was like we just left a big hole where Parfitt normally sits and forgot to even ask anyone to play his role.

The same thing happened earlier in the year v Melbourne too. I had too much faith that they would fashion a good outcome at stoppage with Parfitt missing.
I totally agree and you won't get any argument from me if we turned over at least 2 if not 3 or 4 assistant coaches

Knights is out of contract with reports WCE are interested - I wouldn't be stopping him making that move

Enright is also out of contract and another I'd say thanks to him for his services to the GFC but it's time for both parties to go their separate ways after more than 21 years together. Tell him he's welcome back at the club at any time, but from a professional point of view this is the best thing for all

This is a pretty good point actually in your second last paragraph.

I was looking at the volume of high picks they’ve got that are now guns and thought ‘well good on them for finally getting it right’ but even in that assessment I’m probably over selling the demons a bit because their strike rate isn’t anything special even in getting it right because the law of averages says that with ALL the high picks they had, getting this many that actually turned into something should be about par when you apply the context of all the busts they had

I do find some of those “filler” picks - Crameri, Jack Stevens, Higgins, Jenkins, etc - to be misguided in that when we have backed in our development, we have unearthed some decent players out of really late picks.

Menegola was late, as was Miers. Blicavs, Simpson, Zuthrie, Henry, Atkins and Close were all rookies. Stewart was taken in the forties. I know Stewart is the only star out of that lot, but if asked to choose between a serviceable kid and a serviceable veteran, take the kid every time.

Miers is probably the most interesting case on our list at the moment for me.

there isn’t any skill changes or improvements he has to make imo to become an a grade small forward. He has a good kick. Literally all he has to do is chase more and be more physical. That’s it. Purely a forced attitude change and he can become a really really good player.

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion and mine is “I enjoy watching development”. We didn’t make the finals in 2006 but I could see a good side developing. The X factor of Stevie, The dash of Wojo (when he came back from his knee) and Scarlo. I new we had the elements and I enjoyed watching them develop. A part from Jack Henry and Close we have nothing developing. The kids that could progress are either in the vfl or will leave anyway.

I've highlighted the picks in the top 20, it's interesting to see how many there are. So six of them in total. Here's a quick comparison with Geelong's from Friday night:

Gary Rohan - pick 6, 2009
Joel Selwood - pick 7, 2006
Lachie Henderson - pick 8, 2007
Patrick Dangerfield - pick 10, 2007
Shaun Higgins - pick 11, 2005
Isaac Smith, pick 19, 2010

All are so long ago. (in a football sense.)

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion and mine is “I enjoy watching development”. We didn’t make the finals in 2006 but I could see a good side developing. The X factor of Stevie, The dash of Wojo (when he came back from his knee) and Scarlo. I new we had the elements and I enjoyed watching them develop. A part from Jack Henry and Close we have nothing developing. The kids that could progress are either in the vfl or will leave anyway.
I know it’s only able to be enjoyed in the light of 2007, but my favourite year in following footy was actually 2004.

Miers is probably the most interesting case on our list at the moment for me.

there isn’t any skill changes or improvements he has to make imo to become an a grade small forward. He has a good kick. Literally all he has to do is chase more and be more physical. That’s it. Purely a forced attitude change and he can become a really really good player.

he definitely has the tools, but he needs to start with a haircut!
I know I sound old school but it’s a tangible reminder of his commitment to change every time he looks in the mirror

dreads are funky at 18 or 20 but know he needs to man up and be taken seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back