Which club is Carlton's biggest rival?

• Collingwood

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Our biggest rivals? Thats easy... the filth.

When the VFA and then the VFL started out, The Blues and the filth were actually on good terms. In 1892, Carlton gave up one of our matches to play a match against the filth so that they had the requisite number of matches to actually join the league.

Shit went downhill from there...

Carlton vs Collingwood AFL rivalry

Jock McHale, coach of the filth, had a habit of turning off the hot water when the Blues played at filth central... better known as Victoria Park. It was also customary for the Carlton players to leave straight after a match so as not to get assaulted by filth supporters in the car park there.

Since the days of McHale, the rivalry between the two clubs has only gotten worse... 1970 just nailed the coffin lid shut on any chance of it being a friendly rivalry. When we came back to win Collingwood's unlosable grand final it condemned them to the colliwobbles for another 20 years... beating them again in 79 and 81 just made it all the sweeter.

The Essendon and Richmond rivalries have only been around for 40 or so years... the Blues vs the Filth rivalry has been going on for over 120 years now.

7th May 1892 was when it all started.

There is a lot of smack talk between aussie rules fans as to whether the Geelong vs Hawthorn rivalry is now the biggest... and while in the modern era it possibly is. However, the only thing that will draw Carlton and Collingwood supporters together is the acknowledgement that our rivalry is one of the oldest and most enduring rivalry with often times extreme bitterness between the supporters.

Inter vs Milan has only been going for 104 years...

The only club level sporting rivalry thats been going for longer than Carlton vs Collingwood is Celtic vs Rangers (better known as 'The Old Firm' derby. That started back in 1888.

Then you get back to internationals... England vs Scotland in 1872 and the USA vs Canada in 1844. The USA vs Canada is actually for a cricket match.

When you get right down to it... Carlton vs Collingwood is right up there with some of the oldest and best rivalries in the whole world.

I hate Essendon so much I don't even like stopping at red lights.

Zebras are dumbass horses with a herd mentality and the zoo only keeps them around because they draw a crowd, even though they are not useful for anything else.

I will go out of my way to hunt down Redback spiders, just because I hate their colours.

Maybe I should change my vote.:confused:

Alot of the intense rivalry between the blues and pies started back 100 hundred years ago, there were talks that blues players were actually working for pie supporters as employers and thus sneaky hunches were the employers on the day before the 1910 grand final had a carlton player or 2 work back late in hazardous areas causing illness to the player and unable to be fit for the game the follwing day.
On top of those propbable rumours I have a question for all carlton supporters
Would you all hate essendon jst as much as you do now if it werent for the 1993 grand final??

Alot of the intense rivalry between the blues and pies started back 100 hundred years ago, there were talks that blues players were actually working for pie supporters as employers and thus sneaky hunches were the employers on the day before the 1910 grand final had a carlton player or 2 work back late in hazardous areas causing illness to the player and unable to be fit for the game the follwing day.
On top of those propbable rumours I have a question for all carlton supporters
Would you all hate essendon jst as much as you do now if it werent for the 1993 grand final??

Yes... their supporters are arrogant scum...

They think that it is ok for their club to cheat the salary cap but anyone else who gets pinged are dirty cheats and tankers...

Right now: Essendon
They're on 16 flags like us (although three don't count, as two weren't GF wins and one they cheated the cap) and have had a habit of causing us misery at every turn in recent times.

Historically: Collingwood
A century of hatred and epic matches, only tapering off in recent years due to both teams being on different ends of the ladder.

Between "Mad Monday" and Round 1: Richmond
The hype and hyperbole between supporters and media commentators is ridiculous, and it goes on and on to such an extent that when the ball is finally bounced we've already had a gutful of it. Normal service resumes after round 1 however.

I hate them all with a passion.

Having said that, an Essendon fan has never spat at me at the football. Can't say the same about Collingwood.

There's not one redeeming feature to the Collingwood Football Club. Pure filth from top to bottom.

I'd say the same thing about Essendon J.

IMO Collingwood is the biggest and Essendon is the most heated.

Right now: Essendon
They're on 16 flags like us (although three don't count, as two weren't GF wins and one they cheated the cap) and have had a habit of causing us misery at every turn in recent times.

Historically: Collingwood
A century of hatred and epic matches, only tapering off in recent years due to both teams being on different ends of the ladder.

Between "Mad Monday" and Round 1: Richmond
The hype and hyperbole between supporters and media commentators is ridiculous, and it goes on and on to such an extent that when the ball is finally bounced we've already had a gutful of it. Normal service resumes after round 1 however

You can lay most of the blame here at that old flog KB.
Despite what is an obvious attempt to get into the minds of Carlton supports and rouse up Richmond, there comes a time when he just needs to keep his mouth shut and let the game take care of itself.

Still, the lead into round 1 is always entertaining, and dare say will be the same next year as well, provided Richmond still want to play us in the opening round.

HI
The team I hate is St.Kilda ,but our biggest rivals
1/ Collingwood/Essendon EQUAL 1ST

2/ Hawthorn 2ND

3/ Richmond 3RD

Our biggest rivals? Thats easy... the filth.

When the VFA and then the VFL started out, The Blues and the filth were actually on good terms. In 1892, Carlton gave up one of our matches to play a match against the filth so that they had the requisite number of matches to actually join the league.

Shit went downhill from there...

Carlton vs Collingwood AFL rivalry

Inter vs Milan has only been going for 104 years...

The only club level sporting rivalry thats been going for longer than Carlton vs Collingwood is Celtic vs Rangers (better known as 'The Old Firm' derby. That started back in 1888.

Then you get back to internationals... England vs Scotland in 1872 and the USA vs Canada in 1844. The USA vs Canada is actually for a cricket match.

When you get right down to it... Carlton vs Collingwood is right up there with some of the oldest and best rivalries in the whole world.

Good post...but I have to mention one point- Australian football rivalries have been going longer than any rugby league or soccer rivalries.

Carlton vs Geelong dates back to 1864
Carlton vs Essendon dates back to 1872

Hell, even Australian football rivalries in Sydney have been going longer than any rugby league rivalry in Australia.

The game has a lot of history and a lot to proud of. We don't need to look to the UK and our english soccer friends as our "big brother". We can stand on our own two feet.

As to which rivalry is bigger- judged by crowds the Carlton vs Collingwood over 100 plus years this rivalry is the biggest in the game. Essendon have used the Anzac Day match to try and catch up, but over the journey Carlton/Collingwood has been bigger.

Carlton has featured in 8 of the top 12 drawing finals matches. Collingwood have featured in 6 and Essendon in only one.

I think that Collingwood is our biggest, and best rival. I genuinely love those ocassions whether both teams are good, poor or otherwise.

I reckon the Bombers rivalry was manufactured by Sheedy in the 80's, and i think is getting somewhat unhealthy in terms of genuine hatred. Where as the feeling in the crown at Blues-Pies games is normally combative, often the feeling at Blues-Dons games is beyond that, certainly over the top, almost taken to a non sporting degree.

Just my thoughts, but I certainly enjoy the Collingwood occassion moreso that at Essendon games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that Collingwood is our biggest, and best rival. I genuinely love those ocassions whether both teams are good, poor or otherwise.

I reckon the Bombers rivalry was manufactured by Sheedy in the 80's, and i think is getting somewhat unhealthy in terms of genuine hatred. Where as the feeling in the crown at Blues-Pies games is normally combative, often the feeling at Blues-Dons games is beyond that, certainly over the top, almost taken to a non sporting degree.

Just my thoughts, but I certainly enjoy the Collingwood occassion moreso that at Essendon games.

Oh there is genuine hatred between the blues and the filth. The hatred started back in the McHale era when he used to order that the hot water was turned off in the visitors change rooms at Victoria Park.

However, these days, that hatred between our two clubs is limited to the stadium these days and a bit of chirp between the supporters in the lead up to the match. But once the match is over, regardless of the results, everyone can sit around in a pub and discuss the match.

However, thanks to that ex-bitchmond thug who coached the scum for so long, there is some serious issues on their side. That wannabe hardman from the tuggers brought his serious amounts of offended over from Bitchmond to the scum and that has infected an entire generation of scum supporters with his hatred of the blues.

There is no discussing the match over a beer with a scum supporter. If you walked into a pub with a few scum supporters in it, they would start trying to lord it over you and start calling you tankers and cheats and when you respond with the fact that Carlton never won a premiership through salary cap infringements, they will just talk over the top of you like it never happened.

Essendoom supporters always says that we cheated the salary cap in 95 and we should hand back our cup... I always say back to them that if we have to hand back the 95 cup and give it to the Geebungs, they have to hand back the 93 cup and give it to us. The w***ers start babbling about how the baby bombers in 93 were under the cap...

Collingwood v Carlton games have that sense of tradition and awe witht he gigantic crowds and history.
Essendon v Carlton games seem to be more brutal and back and forth, the games never go the way the form says they should.
Richmond V Carlton are always great rivalries but they cant compete with us.

And it may be just because i live in Perth but over the last three years i thnk Carlton has had a great rivalry with WCE, our shaterring lost in the semi last year and it looks like round 12 will be a huge game this year.
Certainly a lot of heat between the two

Collingwood supporters are a unique breed, that's for sure. :D As far as rivalries, 1970-79-81 seem like ancient history.

Residing in Perth a few years back I never had much time for Eagles supporters, even though they form the majority of the population there.

Essendon supporters seem smugger than both groups, following a long history of success under Sheeds.

Who do I really, really hate? Hawthorn supporters. Growing up in the 80s and all... Then 2008 came around and after 17 years in the wilderness, that arrogant sense of entitlement re-emerged. Cashed up bogans, the lot of them.

Great Post, agree totally about the West Coast Supporters over in Perth plus they have all the media on there side as well which makes it impossible to hear anything but west coast.
Essendon supporters are Simple People with an Opinion, even have a cousin who supports them and i hate him as well.
Have always hated Hawthorn, especially since my High School PE Teacher was Mick McCarthey who played in 2 Grand Finals for the Hawks in the 80s, He was a **** head who really put me off Hawthorn.

100% collingwood is our greatest rival. Any carlton supporter hates losing to collingwood more than any other team.

Same with collingwood supporters, they hate losing to carlton more than anyone else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back