Opinion Which players are worth pick 1?

Who would you trade this year's first pick for?

• De Goey

Votes: 82 30.4%
  • Bontempelli

Votes: 207 76.7%
  • P.Cripps

Votes: 218 80.7%
  • L.Neale

Votes: 59 21.9%
  • D.Martin

Votes: 157 58.1%
  • Fyfe

Votes: 152 56.3%
  • J.Cameron

Votes: 130 48.1%
  • T.Greene

Votes: 45 16.7%
  • C.Cameron

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • H.Andrews

Votes: 47 17.4%
  • L.Whitfield

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Dangerfield

Votes: 66 24.4%
  • B.Brown

Votes: 27 10.0%
  • A.Naughton

Votes: 62 23.0%
  • C.Rozee

Votes: 38 14.1%
  • J.Gresham

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • N.Blakey

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • J.McGovern

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • B.Grundy

Votes: 141 52.2%
  • Max Gawn

Votes: 54 20.0%
  • Tom Lynch

Votes: 65 24.1%
  • Josh Kelly

Votes: 99 36.7%
  • Isaac Heeney

Votes: 36 13.3%
  • Sam Walsh

Votes: 82 30.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Bontempelli
Cripps
Fyfe
Grundy
Max king
Ben king
Dusty though age is a ?
That would be about it

Rankine, Rowell, Cameron

Noah Anderson, Ben King, Lukosious, Rozee, Butters, Max King as well imo. Bailey Smith potentially too.

Taranto and McCluggage are also still in the conversation in their fourth season. Not sure anyone from the 2017 draft would justify it but Naughton probably has the most upside.

Bontempelli
Cripps
Fyfe
Grundy
Max king
Ben king
Dusty though age is a ?
That would be about it

Couldn't disagree more with the sentiment here. If you have a high draft pick first/second year player who is performing very well in seniors, then they are worthy of pick one. The comparison is the player output over their career vs the expected player output of a pick one over a career - those players who have demonstrated than can perform to that level/potentially above and still have a decade of footy left in them meet the equation. I also think draft picks are a bit overrated.

I'd be inclued to say that players like Fyfe are close to being worth less than pick 1 given age and injury history. Bont and Cripps are a yes for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Noah Anderson, Ben King, Lukosious, Rozee, Butters, Max King as well imo. Bailey Smith potentially too.

Taranto and McCluggage are also still in the conversation in their fourth season. Not sure anyone from the 2017 draft would justify it but Naughton probably has the most upside.

Couldn't disagree more with the sentiment here. If you have a high draft pick first/second year player who is performing very well in seniors, then they are worthy of pick one. The comparison is the player output over their career vs the expected player output of a pick one over a career - those players who have demonstrated than can perform to that level/potentially above and still have a decade of footy left in them meet the equation. I also think draft picks are a bit overrated.

I'd be inclued to say that players like Fyfe are close to being worth less than pick 1 given age and injury history. Bont and Cripps are a yes for me.
Depends which year

Would give up pick 1 in say 2002, 2005 or 2017 for anyone lol

2001, 2018 nope. pretty hard to pry away

The question is contextual, and the answer will change every year. Last year, it was a matter of whether a player was worth more than Matt Rowell (who was looking an even better prospect than Walsh was). There'd be more players worth Pick 1 this year than there was last year.

Last year, I wouldn't have traded Pick 1 for Walsh, knowing it was going to be Rowell. This year, I'd do it in a heartbeat

The question is contextual, and the answer will change every year. Last year, it was a matter of whether a player was worth more than Matt Rowell (who was looking an even better prospect than Walsh was). There'd be more players worth Pick 1 this year than there was last year.

Last year, I wouldn't have traded Pick 1 for Walsh, knowing it was going to be Rowell. This year, I'd do it in a heartbeat
This year is shit to have pick 1.

The problem is that most teams with pick 1 are probably 5 years off being a legit premiership shot. So if you've got pick 1, you're probably not incentivised to trade it for a guy who's 26 or older, even if that guy is the best player in the comp.

I mean, look at the Judd deal. That is probably the last time we've seen a player traded who was worth pick 1. Carlton were awful but they were still determined to keep pick 1 because they thought Kreuzer was going to be amazing. In the end, they'd have been better off trading pick 1 and keeping Kennedy. But the appeal of pick 1 was too much for them to let it go, like Gollum with the ring. Even with Judd who was 23 and a star, Carlton were like "nah pick 1 is untradeable".

So WC traded Judd to Carlton, who didn't do much. WC bottomed out but then rose from the depths like a blue and gold Cthulhu and won a flag. Kreuzer retired. Kennedy was amazing and hopefully still has a year to go. I guess my point is that Carlton's eyes lit up over pick 1 but they already had a kid on their list who was more valuable than Kreuzer. They traded him for a readymade star and it didn't work out.

But if you ask me right now, whether I as a WC supporter would rather have pick 1 or any number of proven stars, I'd take a player who could help WC win another flag or two in the immediate term over the draft pick.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Which players are worth pick 1?

Back