Which players of the premiership winning club should be awarded with a premiership medal?

Remove this Banner Ad

yeah I have a losers medal from juniors. Its the most insignificant piece of junk i own. who ever came up with the idea is a fool.

Could not agree more. I have one of a similar ilk. You don't want to throw it out, but everytime you look at it you feel like a moron for losing.

"Here's a reminder of just how crap you were today!!"

It's like asking if all the winning side should get a Norm Smith medal because without the other 21 players the bloke wouldn't have won it.

Why does everyone want everything to be warm and cuddly?

The premiership is played for on Grand Final day only. It takes the whole club to get you into a grand Final but only the 22 players can win it for you.

Just the 22 players should get a medal and the coaches.

this^ you win the premiership by winning the grand final.

this isn't the EPL.

Only the 22 who play on the day. As one former player said, the reason a premiership medal is so highly-valued is that are hard to get.

If I was a player on the fringes I wouldn't want the medal - I'd want to play and earn it.

Agree wholeheartedly. You have to earn the right to be a premiership player. Before you can even think about beating the opposition you have to beat your team mates and earn selection.

The value in a premiership medal is how hard they are to get hold of, to win one your also need to risk losing one. This can only be done in the pressure of a gf. leave it as it is.

I think this sums it up best. There is merit in the way Hockey operates with those playing atleast say 12 games during the season, but it should be for the club to recognise the other significant contributions made outside of those winningit on the day.

Hawthorn's 1989 premiership presents an interesting case study

Peter Schwab was suspended for striking Essendon player Andrew Manning in the Second Semi Final and missed the Grand Final. Greg Madigan, a lanky young defender/ruckman was called up into the side in Schwabby's place.

Madigan was in his first season and played just 6 games in 1989. On Grand Final day he did bugger all. He got 2 kicks and 2 handballs and made a few errors which resulted in Geelong scores during their 4th quarter comeback. In his six games for the year, he got a total of 52 possessions, 17 hitouts and 1 tackle.

Peter Schwab played 21 of a possible 24 games in 1989 and had 314 possessions and 22 tackles. Not a huge tally of disposals, but he was a tagger. He was there all season and he did his job. I would argue that Schwab contributed far more to Hawthorn's 1989 premiership and yet it was Greg Madigan who was awarded the premiership medal.

I'm not sure what you'd do to fix this anomaly. There is something good about awarding 22 medals only to those who play on the winning Grand Final team. You're always going to have tales of good luck and bad luck. It would cheapen the ideal of "premiership player" to award it to 30 players.

So Jeremy Laidler should have got one last year for 9 possessions in a loss to Brisbane? Hard to see how he contributed to a premiership.

Was good enough to be selected and play in the team that went on to win the Premiership that season, therefore worthy to be recognised as such.

Would any of the players in the Grand Final side think of him any less of a team-mate just because he did not play on that one occasion?

It's like asking if all the winning side should get a Norm Smith medal because without the other 21 players the bloke wouldn't have won it.

Why does everyone want everything to be warm and cuddly?

The premiership is played for on Grand Final day only. It takes the whole club to get you into a grand Final but only the 22 players can win it for you.

Just the 22 players should get a medal and the coaches.

Not sure about Coaches, the coach - yes, but not 6-10 different assistants, specialty coaches, etc. Where do you stop? Trainers, Runners, Player Councellors, Club President, Boot Strapper?

Not sure about Coaches, the coach - yes, but not 6-10 different assistants, specialty coaches, etc. Where do you stop? Trainers, Runners, Player Councellors, Club President, Boot Strapper?
You don't.

https://www.celebritiesforcharity.org/raffle/Saints-Gulf-Coast-Renewal-Raffle/

Nice idea but in the NFL it's ridiculous how many get the equivalent of our premiership medal.

If it's a 10 game limit, then there will be exceptions. Some poor blighter comes back from a knee, plays 9 games leading up the the GF and does his knee again in the PF. People will then want to change that rule too.

Keep it as it is. The theatre of those that miss out add to it's luster.

The theatre of those that miss out add to it's luster.
Not a bad way of putting it.

How about this:

The AFL should award premiership medals to the 22 players on Grand Final day (status quo)

But the AFL should also give the winning club a fat cheque to pay for it's "championship rings"
The club can use this money to pay for as many rings as it so desires.

Why shouldn't everyone within the club who contributed along the way also be rewarded? Not just the contributing players who missed out on Grand Final day, but also the assistant coaches, support staff and administration.

They could earn the title, "Premiership participant" for their contribution.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leave it as it is, otherwise you will have players from a Premiership winning club who missed the Grand Final coming out and saying things like "I played 20 games in the such and such year, missed the Grand Final but now I want a medal too"

How about this:

The AFL should award premiership medals to the 22 players on Grand Final day (status quo)

But the AFL should also give the winning club a fat cheque to pay for it's "championship rings"

Why shouldn't everyone within the club who contributed along the way also be rewarded? Not just the contributing players who missed out on Grand Final day, but also the assistant coaches, support staff and administration.

I like this idea. the assistant coaches etc deserve some sort of recognition, not a premiership medal, but something else.

So Modra didn't earn the right in 1997, because he knee buckled a week before? Poppycock.
u cud argue that modra's injury won the crows the flag thru jarman moving to full forward. thats the thing who's to say if modra had played the crows would have won? why should players get premiership medallions when (especially in the case of those who are omitted not injured) there's a chance their inclusion could have cost the team the premiership?

maybe modra deserved a medallion, maybe harvey and buckley did too but the fact is if you don't do anything in a winning team on grand final day you don't deserve a prize. other wise ud end up rewarding people for home and away contribution when traditionally our game is all about the grand final not any other games (unfortunately for the saints as we'd have more flags if it was done on h&a)

Its a tricky question.

My grandfather played in the Geelong team of 51-52... but had injuries had over both GFs, but played a substantial amount of games during each season. He then went on to play in the losing GF of 53.

He is obviously for all the players that played for the team throughout the year being recognised. In fact he has written (as old men often do) letters to the AFL about this.

Its tough for those who don't play in the big one, but I doubt the rules will ever change.

IMO it should be given to those players who played a percentage of games during the season. Say if you've played 25% (roughly 6) of the games then you qualify.

not exactly sure of figures, but say ottens, he seems to miss half the season and then be vital for the grand final wins

Just the 22

Premierships are only won on the last Saturday in September.

To be perfectly honest I dont think a premiership would mean much if you didnt play on the day.

Cam Mooney says he doesnt really value his 99 flag and he actually played. Just not much game time.

anyone on the day def deserves one

after that it gets a little murky, i don't think you can only give it to those who play in a win, if a defender plays one game, stops the coleman winner but his team loses by a point then make the finals on % then win the granny, he deserves one (about as hypothetical as it can get)

modra is the stand out of a bloke who didn't play but deserves one if anyone does, but i don't think i would want it if i wasn't there on the day

whatever is come up with, there will always be the player who JUST misses out based on criteria, but thats sport

Some idiotic responses in here. "Premierships are only won on the last day in September" has to be one of the dumbest lines I've heard from a footy fan in a while. Why bother going to the footy for the first 25 or so weeks. Just wait until the last weekend and see if your team is in. You can learn the players on the day.

Premiership Medal should be awarded to any player that's played a game during the season. If a player doesn't think he deserve's it for playing in 1 game thats his problem not ours. At least players who have played in 22 games but not the G.F get what they deserve.

In the NHL you need to have played at least half of the regular season games or one playoff game to get your name on the Cup, I reckon that's pretty fair.
In 2008 Murphy and Taylor both played about 18 games, they deserved premiership medals I reckon.

this ^

at least if a player who plays like towards the end of the season and finals and then maybe gets unlucky to be dropped for the grand final can still qualify for one.

probably the best way

I think if you just made it for players who played in any of the finals matches, then in general most deserved players will be covered. If you're not picked for any finals matches then you'd probably feel like you shouldn't deserve one anyway. Once in a while there'd be a hard luck story (knee reco in round 22), but all in all imo this is the way to go.

Some idiotic responses in here. "Premierships are only won on the last day in September" has to be one of the dumbest lines I've heard from a footy fan in a while. Why bother going to the footy for the first 25 or so weeks. Just wait until the last weekend and see if your team is in. You can learn the players on the day.

Premiership Medal should be awarded to any player that's played a game during the season. If a player doesn't think he deserve's it for playing in 1 game thats his problem not ours. At least players who have played in 22 games but not the G.F get what they deserve.

Unfortunately, my team is the proof that premierships are only won on the last saturday in september. We're not referred to as the "Colliwobbles" for nothing:(

22 players that win the premiership on the day deserve the medal. Hard luck for those that couldn't make the final 22, they had 22 rounds + 2/3 finals to push their case for selection. Injuries are unlucky, but them's the breaks with modern sport.

Was good enough to be selected and play in the team that went on to win the Premiership that season, therefore worthy to be recognised as such.

Would any of the players in the Grand Final side think of him any less of a team-mate just because he did not play on that one occasion?

Er it was actually 24 occasions he didn't play. That's kind of the point. :rolleyes:

I've played a lot of sport and in plenty of grand finals. The key to what makes a premiership special is the shared experience of being part of the team on the day. The premiership medal is a token of this shared experience. No matter how many games you've played throughout the season, if you weren't there on Grand Final day then you don't have that bond.

It's tough on some (and I've been one of them) but the way the medals are handed out now reflects the reality of the situation, it doesn't dictate it.

How about this:

Not sure I like the rings idea but I agree with the general concept.

Let the club recognise everyone involved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Which players of the premiership winning club should be awarded with a premiership medal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back