Analysis Whipping Boys - 2022 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

With the season almost upon us, it’s time to turn our attention to this year’s crop of whipping boys.

The Madge is the clear early leader. Despite a tendency to give every ounce of effort, his supreme lack of skill has him an early favourite with the fans. A lack of senior opportunities might hold him back.

The Brown brothers. Taken together they would be unstoppable. C Brown slightly under his normally high whipping boy levels but expect rapid improvement. T Brown making strong gains and looks a likely type.

Steele - the former champ has fallen on hard times and looks likely for a top three finish. The go to player when we lose, which looks often this year.

Cox - hot and cold. Needs more consistency with his dropped marks.

Noble - hot favourite with some influential posters. Worth an each way bet.

Ones to watch - Grundy, Ruscoe, Bianco, Adams.

Who will win the Blair Memorial trophy in 2022?

With the season almost upon us, it’s time to turn our attention to this year’s crop of whipping boys.

The Madge is the clear early leader. Despite a tendency to give every ounce of effort, his supreme lack of skill has him an early favourite with the fans. A lack of senior opportunities might hold him back.

The Brown brothers. Taken together they would be unstoppable. C Brown slightly under his normally high whipping boy levels but expect rapid improvement. T Brown making strong gains and looks a likely type.

Steele - the former champ has fallen on hard times and looks likely for a top three finish. The go to player when we lose, which looks often this year.

Cox - hot and cold. Needs more consistency with his dropped marks.

Noble - hot favourite with some influential posters. Worth an each way bet.

Ones to watch - Grundy, Ruscoe, Bianco, Adams.

Who will win the Blair Memorial trophy in 2022?

Steele for me, he's done and dusted has been for the last couple of seasons

Give him the trophy now

Steele for me, he's done and dusted has been for the last couple of seasons

Give him the trophy now
Short odds at the moment but may surprise with unexpected moments of brilliance.
Keep safe.

The love-hate players are always hard to judge. The Trey gets such fabulous support at times but as the wise sage said "with huge support comes great failures"

I agree with the Madge. Universally despised for his temerity in giving footy a go at such a late stage in life. The fact that he's nearing 35 is going to bring with it increased pressure this year. When he points to where teammates should be, it just destroys me.

I always love the browns... particularly that tall one... whatever his name is. He reminds me so much of Nat Fyfe about 5 minutes before the match starting. The fact that the small one will be getting close to 100 games at the end of 2023 and a future father-son, puts shivers up my spine.

The great thing that puts Noble ahead of the brown is that he gets a lot of the ball. The tall brown can go through a whole game not getting a kick and sometimes he can be forgotten entirely. The other great thing about Noble is that he doesn't even remotely look like a footballer...Is he wearing a full body stocking these days? He's so pale.

If i'm using my own money - The Madge

It would have to be Madgen closely followed by Noble,with the very reliable C Brown and Sidebottom coming hard down the outside to pip them all at the post.

I'm ready for a big year of whipping. Cant come soon enough.

My early favourite - and new to the category - is McCreery. I loved him last year, but I've already turned. It doesn't take much. Plus he has red hair so its even more important that he delivers on his early promise. Red heads cop more than their fair share of criticism, and Beau (even his name is problematic) is in the frame.

WHE is furious that he isn't one of the favourites - the poor bloke has worked his butt off to do what appears to be stuff all, but is just enough to keep getting selected and lashed.

i used to find that i would go straight to bashing bucks when this guy went missing... this year he could bloom

WHE is furious that he isn't one of the favourites - the poor bloke has worked his butt off to do what appears to be stuff all, but is just enough to keep getting selected and lashed.

WHE has the problem of invisibility. He's invisible on the field and invisible in this thread. Its a special kind of attribute which, in some ways, is admirable.

I'm ready for a big year of whipping. Cant come soon enough.

My early favourite - and new to the category - is McCreery. I loved him last year, but I've already turned. It doesn't take much. Plus he has red hair so its even more important that he delivers on his early promise. Red heads cop more than their fair share of criticism, and Beau (even his name is problematic) is in the frame.

Whipping him for being a ranga is certainly appealing. But the problem is he's big, tattooed and not pasty enough for my liking- When I'm targetting rangas, it's John Noble I'm chasing with whip in hand - a ranga who is also a short arse, with a translucent complexion and he's probably an asthmatic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with Vicky Park in saying that we're due for a big year. There won't be much winning and there'll be plenty of whipping.

The Browns could hardly be whipped anymore than they have in the last few seasons, they might even slide down the order.

Steele seems to attract a special sort of venom, but he has his supporters, which hampers his chance of being most whipped.

I'm nominating Patrick Lipinski. Those who've attracted expectation are in the danger zone. He's handsome, he's from another club, and his failure to be a superstar and superhero will see him whipped to glory in 2022.

All the best, Lippa.

Whipping him for being a ranga is certainly appealing. But the problem is he's big, tattooed and not pasty enough for my liking- When I'm targetting rangas, it's John Noble I'm chasing with whip in hand - a ranga who is also a short arse, with a translucent complexion and he's probably an asthmatic.

I'm pleased to see that you pick your targets carefully, and customise your taunts accordingly.

I'm nominating Patrick Lipinski. Those who've attracted expectation are in the danger zone. He's handsome, he's from another club, and his failure to be a superstar and superhero will see him whipped to glory in 2022.

Agree, I'm already onto him. I've been posting annoying queries about Lippa, and sowing the seeds of doubt. He will make a fine whippee.

I agree with Vicky Park in saying that we're due for a big year. There won't be much winning and there'll be plenty of whipping.

The Browns could hardly be whipped anymore than they have in the last few seasons, they might even slide down the order.

Steele seems to attract a special sort of venom, but he has his supporters, which hampers his chance of being most whipped.

All the best, Lippa.
Could be a great value bet.

Kreuger has some serious potential too. We'll love him for a couple of months because he's big and aggressive, but has anyone actually seen him look like taking a mark yet? Could very well turn into a fumbling brute who gives away lots of frees through stupidity - and we all know he's stupid, because he's so bloody big.

I wonder will the coach and assistants make it to this thread in 2022?
They're in a bit of a catch 22. If they want to make it to this thread, they've got to pick Madgen and the Browns but if they pick Madgen and the Browns those blokes hog all the lashes.

Could be a great value bet.

Kreuger has some serious potential too. We'll love him for a couple of months because he's big and aggressive, but has anyone actually seen him look like taking a mark yet? Could very well turn into a fumbling brute who gives away lots of frees through stupidity - and we all know he's stupid, because he's so bloody big.

If Krueger can maintain some aggression, then it might keep him from the top rank.

If he drops his aggression, then he's begging for comparisons with Jesse White and he'll win the title by a considerable stretch. He's a chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Whipping Boys - 2022 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back